Do I need a no-load pot for a blender mod?

wagdog

• Members

I just wired up the auto-tap for my hss strat. Initial 1 string test shows much more quack (don't post that picture frets, don't do it) in the middle/bridge position.

Since I use a master tone on all my strats, the middle tone (bottom on the guitar) doesn't do anything. I was thinking about wiring in a blender control so I can blend in the neck pup with any combo... but I got to thinking about it and thought that I might need a no-load pot to do that correctly.

Is that the case, or can I use the existing 250k pot?

• Members

Thank you for that! From that diagram, it does say "blender pot" - so I'm guessing that's some form of a no-load pot.

Huh?

A blender pot is basically two pots stacked on top of each other, with a detent in the middle. Both signals are at full output in the middle position. You wire two signals into it opposite of each other, and it blends the two.

A no-load pot is good to use as a tone pot. It disconnects the contact at the full on position. This allows a sort of 'true bypass' of the treble bleed (capacitor) when the tone is turned all the way up.

• Members

Huh?

A blender pot is basically two pots stacked on top of each other, with a detent in the middle. Both signals are at full output in the middle position. You wire two signals into it opposite of each other, and it blends the two.

A no-load pot is good to use as a tone pot. It disconnects the contact at the full on position. This allows a sort of 'true bypass' of the treble bleed (capacitor) when the tone is turned all the way up.

That's different than the "blender mod" most folks talk about on strats, which blends in the neck pickup when the bridge is selected and vice-versa. Usually on the second tone control.

A no-load pot isn't necessary, but it can't hurt.

• Members

That's different than the "blender mod" most folks talk about on strats, which blends in the neck pickup when the bridge is selected and vice-versa. Usually on the second tone control.

Oh ok, I just looked at the first link, and now I see what he's trying to do. The second link posted (Stewmac) has an actual blender pot.

• Members

Ah, yeah, I'm just talking about blending in one pickup. At first I was thinking the neck pup, but the more I think about it, I think blending in the bridge would be better (it's an HSS strat and that way I could control how much humbucker would be coming in).

What I'm worried about is bleed through and possibly loading down the sound and reducing treble if I don't use a no-load pot.

• Members

250k CTS No Load pot:

http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/item.asp?pid=81162&pg=13962&id=2112358

The Fender No Load Pot can be used in place of a standard tone control on any guitar or bass. When turned between 1-9 the pot works like a standard tone control. Then it clicks in at 10 (full clockwise) and removes the capacitor and pot from the circuit. The only load is on the volume pot, hense the name No Load". When the tone is bypassed from the circuit

250k CTS Blender pot:

http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/item.asp?pid=98096&pg=13962&id=2112367

Much like the Fender "No Load" pot the Mojo Blender pot acts as a true bypass when rotated between 9 and 10. The main difference from the "No Load" is that the Mojo Blender pot has the dished back and there is no click feel between 9 and 10. The Mojo Blender pot is best used for true bypass tone control or Blender wiring.

• Members

I remember buying a special pot when I installed my blender, but I can't remember what was special about it. I got the diagrams and the list of parts I needed either online somewhere or from a book. Sorry. My memory is terrible.

Anyway, mine works as a blender for 4 of the 5 positions. With the switch in the bridge pickup position, the blender adds the neck pickup as you turn the knob.

In positions 2 and 4, it adds in the third pickup as you turn the knob.

Cool mod. Easy to do. But I'm not gonna take my pickguard off to see what kind of pot I used. Sorry.

Archived