Which speakers for vintage sounding 4x12?

abstract

• Members

These are THE only choices, because these are MY only choices.

Vintage 30s (which I've heard are "honky")

G12H30s (which I've heard are nice but LOUD, I'd MUCH prefer lower sensitivity)

G12T75s (I liked the sound of these in a Model T cab)

Greenbacks (only heard on recordings)

Or some combination 2X2 in an "X" pattern...?

Greenbacks and Vintage 30's?...etc

Just list...I'll just miss some of the combinations and get flamed more than usual...:blah:

• Members

what kind of amp/guitar?

Les Pauls and Strats

Don't have the amp yet. I'm shopping for that right now too.

I'm thinking about a few Ceriatone heads (low wattage fender tweed/blackface and low wattage marshall...I have another cab with Cavin badged V30ish (2x12) and I'll mix and match for the best tones. (I don't know how accurate the "These are rebadged Vintage 30's" from Carvin was)

I'll end up with 2 heads and 2 cabs (this 4x12 and my homemade 2x12)

• Members

Les Pauls and Strats

Don't have the amp yet. I'm shopping for that right now too.

I'm thinking about a few Ceriatone heads (low wattage fender tweed/blackface and low wattage marshall...I have another cab with V30's (2x12) and I'll mix and match for the best tones.

I'll end up with 2 heads and 2 cabs (this 4x12 and my homemade 2x12)

Since you already have some v30s try the green backs. A buddy of mine has a 2x12 with greenbacks in it and it rocks with his bassman.

• Members

What about one of each?

I've never tried it, but it sounds like a plan. I like both speakers a lot so it could be a really nice combo. I mean, you can always move them around if you don't like them combined and have a cab with v30s and a greenback cab. :idk:

• Members

Have you tried Eminence's The Governor? I A/B'ed it with a V30 (via an Orange Tiny Terror) and The Governor has a tighter low end, richer mids and sweeter treble than the Celestion. Not only that, it's 2/3 the price of the V30.

Definitely something to consider if you're willing to look past Celestion.

• Members
i love ceriatone stuff

what amps did you plan getting?

the 18watt?

Either the D/C30, the 18w TMB EF86, the ODS-100, one of the low wattage Fenders....or some combination thereof that works in my budget. :thu:

Any recommendations?

Is there any reason to get a Vintage Avatar cab instead of a Traditional cab? The website says the Traditional cab has 5mm thicker walls...is this true?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Avatar is a great company that is pretty flexible, I would try Vintage 30's and 75's in an X pattern. The 75's will have the lows that the V30's are missing and the V30's will have the midrange sizzle that the 75's are missing, my friend has this setup in his cab and it seems to work great with a variety of amp styles.

Archived