Tele - 3 saddle vs. 6 saddle bridge

Karma1

• Members

My 69 Tele Thinline reissue has the standard 3 saddle bridge and I'm considering changing it to a modern style 6 saddle bridge, with Graphtech FerraGlide saddles. Any thoughts as to the pros and cons of the 3 vs. 6?

• Members

My 69 Tele Thinline reissue has the standard 3 saddle bridge and I'm considering changing it to a modern style 6 saddle bridge, with Graphtech FerraGlide saddles. Any thoughts as to the pros and cons of the 3 vs. 6?

The pro is more accurate intonation, the con is the general consensus that the 3 saddle bridge is part of what gives a Tele that distinctive twang and so replacing it reduces that. In my experience, the difference is noticeable, but not enough to say that you lose the true Tele character if you go for the modern six saddle bridge.

Plus the three saddle bridge just looks cooler. :D

• Members

I use the callaham compesnated 3 saddle, and the guitar is properly intonated and sounds killer. I don't think 6 would be the end of the world, but I wonder, once you are switching to graphite too, how much of the tele sound is left there. For that matter, why would you even want graphite saddles on a hard tail. There really aren't any tuning stability issues.

• Members

For that matter, why would you even want graphite saddles on a hard tail. There really aren't any tuning stability issues.

+1.

I've had both and I lilke both. I think it's largely a personal preference. Really would like to try the compensated 3 barrel model though...

• Members

For that matter, why would you even want graphite saddles on a hard tail. There really aren't any tuning stability issues.

The older the steel or iron saddles and the more you bend the strings, the faster the leading and trailing edges of the string groove gets sharpened, which, at least to me, means that the wound strings get caught on those edges and won't slide back in tune as easily when you bend a string. It also means that I tend to break more strings, faster. The six saddle GT StringSavers eliminate both problems for me.

• Members

I Really would like to try the compensated 3 barrel model though...

Yeah - me too, as long as they were made of brass (softer than steel, probably less likely to "hang" the string (tuning) or create sharp leading and trailing edges (breaking strings).

• Members

The older the steel or iron saddles and the more you bend the strings, the faster the leading and trailing edges of the string groove gets sharpened, which, at least to me, means that the wound strings get caught on those edges and won't slide back in tune as easily when you bend a string. It also means that I tend to break more strings, faster. The six saddle GT StringSavers eliminate both problems for me.

Well, I've got brass on my tele, which seems fine, and my strat is steel, with none of these issues either. I see the potential breakage issue (but this is a super easy fix) but I don't really see the tuning stability issue as the string shouldn't be moving that direction when you bend anyhow.

• Members

I used to think the 6 saddle was a better option because of intonation. Now that I've used both, I think the three brass saddle setup sounds better. I installed Callahan compensated (compensation can be adjusted) brass saddles on my 52 Hotrod and intonation is perfect.

I have the same bridge and couldn't be happier with both intonation and twang.

DSCF1056.jpg

• Members

I wonder if there really is an audible difference, or if we only hear what we expect to hear. In any case, I have the 3-barrel bridge on my Esquire, and it works just dandy and sounds great. I don't see any reason to change a thing.

• Members

Wow - I've never gotten so many responses so quickly. Thanks.

Looks like there's a variety of opinions. As far as keeping the "Tele sound" - while I appreciate the traditional Tele tone, for me, twang's not my thang.

I use the neck pickup most of the time for cleans, and use the bridge for high gain distorted leads. I'm probably going to drop a Seymour Duncan Lil 59 single space humbucker in the bridge for a thicker distorted tone. But I love the sound of the neck pickup, as well as the look and feel of a Telecaster. I've owned a number of Tele's over the years, but this is my first Thinline.

• Members

Wow - I've never gotten so many responses so quickly. Thanks.

Looks like there's a variety of opinions. As far as keeping the "Tele sound" - while I appreciate the traditional Tele tone, for me, twang's not my thang.

I use the neck pickup most of the time for cleans, and use the bridge for high gain distorted leads. I'm probably going to drop a Seymour Duncan Lil 59 single space humbucker in the bridge for a thicker distorted tone. But I love the sound of the neck pickup, as well as the look and feel of a Telecaster. I've owned a number of Tele's over the years, but this is my first Thinline.

Well, if you aren't going for the twang, then I don't think it matters so much.

• Members

Well, if you aren't going for the twang, then I don't think it matters so much.

+1

If you're not trying to retain the trademark Tele tone and you're going to put a Lil '59 in there anyway, then the modern 6 saddle bridge isn't going to be a negative for you.

• Members

I replaced the 6 saddle bridge on my Squier VM SH with a wilkinson compensated bridge. (brass saddles). Intonation is dead on, it really added a lot of brightness and clarity to the tele. I also use my tele on the OD channel with a Rio Grande dirty harry in the bridge, and it's a favorite player.

Archived