Any learned opinions on the Fender Custom Shop '54 pickups?

GAS Man

• Members

Thinking about picking myself up a set.

Wondering if they are too bright.

I have a MIM '50s Classic - daphne blue & a

MIM Jimmie Vaughan and I'm thinking about possibly plugging them into one of these guitars.

I find the JV's Tex Mex to be a bit too sharp sounding for my tastes.

I already have a set of Fat 50s waiting to be installed in one of these.

So I'm thinking possibly the '54s in the dapne blue strat for a more vintage tone, and then the Fat 50s in the JV.

I also have a few other strats: SRV, EJ, MIJ 60s Foto w TS pups, and an ash and alder Deluxe also Am. series HSS & HH.

So I also don't need to chase the SCN tone, got that covered. And also the Tex Mex seem to work better on the AM Series HSS.

Thoughts,

(Besides I have too many strats) :o

• Members

This is recorded (all electric guitar tracks) through a Champion 600 with a 50th anniv ltd. edition American series Strat with CS/54s:
http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=1057280&T=3880

And this is the same guitar for the lead (the rythm is a Gibson SG and a Garrison GE-40 acoustic) Through a DRRI:
http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=1094542&T=5023

• Members

This is recorded (all electric guitar tracks) through a Champion 600 with a 50th anniv ltd. edition American series Strat with CS/54s:

And this is the same guitar for the lead (the rythm is a Gibson SG and a Garrison GE-40 acoustic) Through a DRRI:

Thanks, nice clips and they gave me a good idea of what to expect, especially the first one. It reminds me a quite a bit of the stock pups that are in the Classic 50s strat. I'm sure the CS 54s are a step above, but it sounds similar and I guess that would make some sense.

• Members

I offer up my opinon base on experience with them in my 50th Anni Am. Std.

IMO, these pups offer the widest variety and perhaps the most authentic sound of any of the Strat pups. They are not a very hot pup and I believe this helps contribute to their exception clean tones and the fact that they do not offend in any way. (ie. not ice pick)

My Annie has them wired up with a Delta tone volume know it the bottom. If you are familiar wtih this set-up you probaly know that this essentially puts you in bypass mode. I really like the fact that with these pups I hardly ever have to touch that knob to take any harness out of my top-end and if I do, it is only just to crack it out of bypass mode and serve up just the slightest bit of filtering.

It is not the best pup for hard rockin, high gain stuff if you are looking for a pup that makes it easy to get that kind of sound. There lies the double edged caveat however because once you learn how to dial your amp for these pups, you can get some really incredible tone out of them. Whenever I plug this guitar in, I usually move the Volume and gain up a fair bit, along with just a slight boost in the mids. This usually makes me happy cause now I'm pushing my amp more and that is seldom a bad thing. If I'm playing clean I will often crack my highs a little more also simply cause these pups allow me to do that so why not fill out the sound a bit more.

If I were you, considering you collection, I would definitely consider a set for your blue MIM. I think this would be a nice upgrade for this axe and it would enhance the spirit of the axe. Keep the Jimmie Vaughn a little hotter.

• Members

I have 7 guitars that are very different

I cant imagine having as many guitars as you. I always thought it would be cool, but I can see it as EXTREMELY overwhelming. just my thoughts (and not to say I wont get there someday)

• Members

I have 7 guitars that are very different

I cant imagine having as many guitars as you. I always thought it would be cool, but I can see it as EXTREMELY overwhelming. just my thoughts (and not to say I wont get there someday)

It's a disease - like being a "shopaholic". It's just a bit focused and for some odd reason admired as a worthy pursuit by some on these boards. The debt payments are annoying and sometimes just accessing the guitars can be too much of a hassle to dig one out. So it can be over done and a bit "overwhelming". But someday, no friggin doubt, I will be thinning the herd. Just punched in an order for a Gibson Faded V for $449 over at www.wwbw.com. How could I resist? I didn't have a V. :eek::o

• Members

and speaking of too many guitars, strat in particular, I'm considering letting this one go.

Limited Edition Bad Boy Blue Deluxe Ash bod Ebony FB. I think it's drop dead gorgeous, but I prefer the tone of my alder Am Deluxe strat. This would be an awesome guitar for someone that likes the country chicken picken tone, and the S-1 still allows you to fatten it up.

But I'm afraid I'd be looking for a grand, so I may have to hang onto it for a while.

Guitars001.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I changed my CS '54 Pups from my Anniv. Strat after a year or so. They're just too trebly/thin - however. I put in a Set of S-90 by BG-Pups. Now this Strat's #1 again.
The CS '54s are very good Pups but they just don't sound the way I'd like to sound that's all.
Nice blue Strat

Archived