REFRETTING...AGAIN

bmast160

• Members

I have a martin d35 and a fender american deluxe strat...that ive been having to get completely refretted every two years...is that normal...i play about 3hrs a day....should i go for a different kind of fret next time?

• Members

That seems rather excessive. Perhaps you should try stainless steel frets. Either that or change your playing style. :D Unless you just spend three hours a day doing extremely heavy-handed bends, wearing out frets that quickly doesn't make sense.

Are you sure they need to be replaced every two years? They can't just be leveled? I can't imagine completely wearing down frets that quickly.

• Members

Ive got a major problem with fret wear, too. I have a heavy hand and constantly bend. It doesnt take me but a few hours to leave a noticable mark. I even bought a couple necks for replacements to keep on hand. I wish they made titanium frets.
If you play 3 hours a day and got 2 years out of them, your doing well.

• Members
That seems rather excessive. Perhaps you should try stainless steel frets. Either that or change your playing style.
:D
Unless you just spend three hours a day doing extremely heavy-handed bends, wearing out frets that quickly doesn't make sense.

Are you sure they need to be replaced every two years? They can't just be leveled? I can't imagine completely wearing down frets that quickly.

we'll i guess its closer to 3yrs...i took the acoustic in and they said that the because of the wear really only from the high three strings they said they couldnt level it.
ive had the strat for about a year and it already looks like it might need to be releveled...getting a little buzz that i wasnt getting before and there is some noticable indentation on the frets again the 3 high strings...but at that rate theyll probably need to be totally redone in a year or two

• Members

Maybe learn to do your own fret leveling, which should extend the life of your frets a few years.

You only really need a refret when they can't be leveled anymore (which is after a couple of levels have been done, at least), you want a different fret-wire, or you're bored.

• Members

I agree with the comments about releveling. You should be able to get a couple of relevels out of frets before they need replacing. Next time you replace go with stainless. Releveling/crowning really isn't that hard, so if you are mechanically inclined, get some tools from Stew-mac and check out some how-to videos. The only specialty tool I use is a crowning file. Otherwise, regular files, sandpaper, straigth-edge and tape will get you there.

• Members

I agree with the comments about releveling. You should be able to get a couple of relevels out of frets before they need replacing. Next time you replace go with stainless. Releveling/crowning really isn't that hard, so if you are mechanically inclined, get some tools from Stew-mac and check out some how-to videos. The only specialty tool I use is a crowning file. Otherwise, regular files, sandpaper, straigth-edge and tape will get you there.

will stainless last longer?

Archived