JCM 900s...Anyone here play one?

StratoSlacker

• Members

I know this is an amps question but I think my musical tastes match the dudes in EG more so than the dudes in Amps.

If anyone has one or has played one extensively, I'd like to hear your take on them. Let me know which model(s) as well.

I already did some searches and didn't find a ton of info here on HC. Next step will be google...but I really value the opinions I hear from the good folks here at Electric Guitars.

Thanks

• Members

sorry about posting in all your threads but work is pretty slow right now

i used to own a jcm900 it was a high gain dual reverb i want to say 4100 but i could be wrong

it was a really good amp

it did just about everything i wanted

but then i saw ceriatone

and sold it to afford a 50watt plexi

all in all failry decent amps

especially for the price they go now

i sold mine for $600 i think

• Members

I have a 100w 4100 1/2 stack with 5881s. It's okay, just not really versatile. Sounds great distorted with my LP Classic with ceramic hums, not so much with some other guitars. It has this low-mid thump which works for some sounds but not others (although it could be the cab). Can't get a good clean sound with my Rics because of that thump (which is impossible to EQ away). Very hard to get a mildly distorted blues sound. Definitely a crunchy amp, not warm. I'll be selling the pair as soon as I scrape the cash together for a mesa boogie 1/2 stack.

• Members

The JCM900 here in the UK was not really a big hit.

There was a lot of electronics pre and mid valve that took away the Marshall sound. I think it was more sold half hearted at the metal bands.

It did neither well and against the legendry JCM800 it was on a hiding to nothing.

They don't fetch a premium here either. I had a JCM900 that was used to amplify a Zoom 2020 floorboard ( yep those old technology floorboards sounded more valve then the JCM900 did ).

I had mine for around two years then sold it on for around

• Members

Is there a better product line from Marshall that will get the same massive crunch I found in the JCM 900...and maybe have more diversity as well?

I stopped at the JCM900 after going through all there previous offerings. So dont have a clue what post 2000 Marshalls can do.

• Members

I stopped at the JCM900 after going through all there previous offerings. So dont have a clue what post 2000 Marshalls can do.

Were there any pre-JCM 900 models that could do this?

I'm not too concerned over a decent clean channel. I have a Fender amp for that.

• Members

I had one it was a 100 watt head I think a 4100 reverb,(though 4 Vintage 30's) I know it was kept in a studio with a mesa Boogie and few other amps and it was always everyones first choice for hard rock. i have heard 50 watt combo's that sounded lifeless though... this amp would inspire terror. Heard a pair again Derringer 's guitarist Danny Johnson is using on tour now and they sounded great...have not seen them in a while!

• Members

I had a 50 watt JCM 900 head/1960A/1960B stack and liked it quite a bit. I only gigged the head/1960A because the cab took up all of my trunk and the head took most of the back seat of my car. I got rid of the whole stack and bought my Boogie. No issues/complaints about the Marshall other than convenience.

• Members

I had a 50 watt JCM 900 head/1960A/1960B stack and liked it quite a bit. I only gigged the head/1960A because the cab took up all of my trunk and the head took most of the back seat of my car. I got rid of the whole stack and bought my Boogie. No issues/compalints about the Marshall other than convenience.

Which JCM 900 head was it?

• Members
Is there a better product line from Marshall that will get the same massive crunch I found in the JCM 900...and maybe have more diversity as well?

The 900 gets a lot of slamming because it doesn't have a ton of modern low-end and it has diodes in the preamp stages or sections. People automatically slam the amp for its lack of purity. They can sound pretty good. A lot of good stuff has been recorded with 900s. You might want to look into the TSL too.

• Members

Were there any pre-JCM 900 models that could do this?

I'm not too concerned over a decent clean channel. I have a Fender amp for that.

All the pre JCM900 models were based on pure Marshall Tone, it was post JCM900 that Marshall really got spot on.

I think ( as said ) the TSL models are the kiddies for this.

But I am only going on what I have read, I have no experience with any post JCM900.

• Members

I play a JCM 900 4500 head through a Marshall 4x12 with Greenbacks. I had the tubes changed from 5881s to EL34s, made a big difference in tone. I also had the head modded for more bass to it to give it more of the traditional Marshall tone. It needs a little bit of tweaking, but it's well worth the money. The output tranny is wearing out, and needs to be replaced soon. A local tech that I go to says to go for a output tranny that is used for JCM 800s. Overall, the JCM 900 can sound relaly good if you want it to.

• Members

my bandmate uses one. 50 watt hi gain master volume MKIII. Model 2500

it doesnt sound as good as my Orange and can come as brittle. The pots are scratchy and its loud as {censored}. I've never played an 800 to compare it or a 2000

• Members

Rick is playing the pretty clean arpeggio & Rhythm ,Danny is playing the solo in that song except Rick adds a litlle and then goes back into the arpeggio and Danny finishes the solo before Rick starts singing again (great two guitar band)...but that is how good 900 sounds mid-rangey and agressive.

• Members

I've got a JCM 900 2500 MKIII 50w SL half stack that I bought new in 1990. I LOVE this amp - it's the original EL-34 version, with the bias nice and hot. I've used it on five CDs, numerous live gigs, and it's been the sweetest and most dependable amp I've owned. :thu: :thu:

• Members

i had a jcm900 several years ago - forget the model; couldn't stand it. it didn't have that ballsy, low end - much more treble-y than i like. as someone said earlier, i think it was going for that 80s metal tone, which i can't stand either.

YMMV though.

Archived