Do You Ever Wish You Had a Multitrack Tape Machine Sitting Around?

Anderton

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No Craig . My old Tascam 38 was too heavy and took up too much space. I sold off most of the tape as well.

The only thing that the old reel to reel could do (without the digital grit from bit dropping mathematics) is SPEED CONTROL and REAL FLANGING.......unless, of course, you LIKE tape hiss?

Dan

That is so 2007, sure the 38 was extremely hissy without NR.

Try a Studer 2" with SR, it's quiet, really, 85dB dynamics must be enough I suppose.

• Members

That is so 2007, sure the 38 was extremely hissy without NR.

Try a Studer 2" with SR, it's quiet, really, 85dB dynamics must be enough I suppose.

I also had DBX which had its own problems like TYPE I OR TYPE II . Record with type i you are supposed to use type i to playback etc. or expensive noise gates. These external boxes also added their own distortion. I spent a small fortune on "noise reduction". There is no question in my mind that a computer with a decent AD/DA can beat out classic tape recording.

The STUDER you are talking about was WAY BEYOND the price range of some of us here. Was it $10,000 or $20,000 TWENTY YEARS AGO?

Dan

• Members

Tape machines are like professional race cars, they require professional maintenance to perform on a professional level. DBX type 1 is fine in the right hands. Type ll was for cassete. People buy trashed tascam decks used and say my computer is better, I'm sure they're right about that.

• Members

I always had a problem with noise reduction. Dolby SR was really the only kind I liked. dbx Type I, even if you got the tracking perfect, still couldn't do anything about modulation noise. You wouldn't notice it on rock, but on the classical guitar material I was doing it was painfully obvious in the quiet passages. And in my experience, few studios had it calibrated PERFECTLY, which it really HAD to be, so that added another layer of maintenance.

A good two-track with Dolby SR could wipe the floor with DAT back in the day, not just with better sound but much better dynamic range - typically 102dB to 80-85dB - and with hardly any artifacts. When 24-bit conversion started to get good, though, I really didn't feel the need for SR any more. Or DAT, for that matter :)

Archived