History of Guitar books - Reccomendations?

Tom B.

• Members

I'd really like to learn more about the history of the guitar, about people like CF Martin, Orville Gibson, etc.

Can anybody recommend some good, comprehensive books for me to pick up? Thanks :)

• Members

Tom Wheeler's American Guitars is a classic. It's not up to date, but it is the most comprehensive one covering the formative/"golden" years across the various brands.

For books on single brands, tony Bacon is generally good. Andre Duchossoir's book Gibson electrics is very comprehensive.

• Members

Tom Wheeler's American Guitars is a classic. It's not up to date, but it is the most comprehensive one covering the formative/"golden" years across the various brands.

For books on single brands, tony Bacon is generally good. Andre Duchossoir's book Gibson electrics is very comprehensive.

+1 for anything Tom Wheeler has ever written. American Guitars was the first true "Vintage Guitar" book. While it has some errors, it was based on the best knowledge at the the time (look at the Gretsch section to see how far the study of guitars has come since then).

Richard Smith's book on Fender is also excellent. For Guild, Hans Moust's book is excellent as well. For Fender Amps, the Teagle & Sprung book is a great resource.

Gibson, the First 100 Years is a complete waste of paper and ink. As is the John Morrish book on Fender amps.

• Members

Tim Brookes, "Guitar: An American Life"

+1 to this. I loved this book. It's not really an in-depth look at the history of the instrument, but it covers a lot of ground in an entertaining narrative.

Archived