Vox AD vs. Fender Champs XD vs. Current

ace1979

• Members

ALSO POSTED IN THE AMP FORUM......Ok so my brother and I are considering looking into adding a small versatile amp to our line-up, nothing crazy expensive, but something that will cover a lot of ground, and be decent for recording. Currently we have a roland blues cube (older model amp that was stupidly discontinued by roland, creme colored, oxblood grill) we have the 30 watt model two channel, no reverb, but I have always been very happy with the tone especially on the gain channel this thing is capable of. Recently we have been discussing getting another amp...it we had our picks of anything we would probably get a vox ac15 or a fender DRRI (use of our pedals then including BBE green screamer, dan echo, digiverb), but in reality we don't need an amp of that size/power because we will at most only play small shows where any amp could be miked with our PA, and otherwise playing at home/home studio. My question is what seems better overall Vox AD series, Fender newer Champ XD series. Or would it just make more sense to get a better reverb pedal (ie holy grail or boss) and continue with the blues cube? my brother can get us good prices on any of the stuff through his job with guitar center. Any other thoughts would be great. Thanks!!!

• Members

Xd has some great tones, to my ears sounded more " real" than the vox if you know what I mean,and at a great price point.- only problem is mine started squealing on some of the settings after one week and had to go back. There seem to be quite few stories of some sort of high pitched glassy or whistling noise developing, likely tube issues, but then many others have no issues at all-myself, I'm waiting for the next version because I suspect they will sort this stuff out, kind of like the newer epi valve junior heads that don't buzz louder than a street lamp.

• Members

I have a Fender Vibro Champ XD, and played the Super Champ XD before buying it. IMHO, look for a used Vox AD60VT or VTX, or a Blues Junior, preferably the Tweed model. I have both the AD60VT and a regular Blues Junior, and they are FAR, FAR superior to the XDs. The XDs are toys compared to them.

I've not been impressed with the newer chrome-face Vox ADs, that is why I have a used older blue-face.

If you think the Vox and the Blues Junior are too small, I would step up to the DRRI, or if you prefer Tweed, a Blues Deluxe. I have one of those also, and it is a great amp, if you are not looking for high-gain.

Roger

• Members

Pro Jr's are nice enough amps but they are far from versatile. Looks like the OP is looking for a modeling amp since he's asking about Vox AD's and Fender XD's. I also think you should look for a used AD60VT. Great sounding amp, with lots of usable models and effects. The presets are crap but you can dial in great sounds. They are a little tempermental so I wouldn't recommend gigging with it but for home and recording use, its a keeper.

• Members

Well... I liked my AD30 so much that I upgraded to a Tonelab and run it into my Peavey tube amp. Lots of great sounds in that amp but I'm not a high gain guy at all and the Fender tones on the Vox, while very decent and enjoyable and usable aren't terribly Fender-like. The Dumble/Boutique OD model is VERY usable and it goes without saying the Vox models are great.

On the other hand, I've only played the Champ XD and the Vibro XD in stores though I probably have 4 or 5 hours on them at this point. VERY impressive Fender tones, esp if you want a hotter Fender type tone. The AD30 just can't really do that. And in my experience, the Tonelab with it's seperate compressor and more control over the Soldano and MESA models do a believable high gain, but the AD30 itself isn't very impressive in that region.

If I lost all my equipment and was starting over, I'd absolutely get another Tonbelab and a 1x12 tube amp of some sort but if I were to buy a 1x10 hybrid, at this point, I'd likely get a Super Champ XD over the AD30 and I'd upgrade the speaker.

• Members

I agree somewhat on the lack of versatility, but buy a modeler and put it in front of this amp. When you get tired of the modeling and effects novelty, you can plug straight in and play a real deal giggable tube amp that works in a band setting.

Pro Jr's are nice enough amps but they are far from versatile. Looks like the OP is looking for a modeling amp since he's asking about Vox AD's and Fender XD's. I also think you should look for a used AD60VT. Great sounding amp, with lots of usable models and effects. The presets are crap but you can dial in great sounds. They are a little tempermental so I wouldn't recommend gigging with it but for home and recording use, its a keeper.

• Members

I agree somewhat on the lack of versatility, but buy a modeler and put it in front of this amp. When you get tired of the modeling and effects novelty, you can plug straight in and play a real deal giggable tube amp that works in a band setting.

Thats a good point. If you need something to gig with, I'd go all tube and get a pod or tonelab for modeling.

• Members

ALSO POSTED IN THE AMP FORUM......Ok so my brother and I are considering looking into adding a small versatile amp to our line-up, nothing crazy expensive, but something that will cover a lot of ground, and be decent for recording. Currently we have a roland blues cube (older model amp that was stupidly discontinued by roland, creme colored, oxblood grill) we have the 30 watt model two channel, no reverb, but I have always been very happy with the tone especially on the gain channel this thing is capable of. Recently we have been discussing getting another amp...it we had our picks of anything we would probably get a vox ac15 or a fender DRRI (use of our pedals then including BBE green screamer, dan echo, digiverb), but in reality we don't need an amp of that size/power because we will at most only play small shows where any amp could be miked with our PA, and otherwise playing at home/home studio. My question is what seems better overall Vox AD series, Fender newer Champ XD series. Or would it just make more sense to get a better reverb pedal (ie holy grail or boss) and continue with the blues cube? my brother can get us good prices on any of the stuff through his job with guitar center. Any other thoughts would be great. Thanks!!!

I see you live in Indy. I have both a Vox AD30VT and a Super Champ XD. Would you like to try them both out side by side?

Let me know. I would have to put the stock speaker back in the Super Champ though.

• Members

I was fairly torn between the AD30 and SCXD, but I think I'm going to go for the Vox. If I were regularly gigging, I'd probably go for the fender, but the AC30 models on the Vox are great (I'm more into Vox than Fender tones anyway), and the power scaling and headphone jack are great for bedroom playing

• Members
I was fairly torn between the AD30 and SCXD, but I think I'm going to go for the Vox. If I were regularly gigging, I'd probably go for the fender, but the AC30 models on the Vox are great (I'm more into Vox than Fender tones anyway), and the power scaling and headphone jack are great for bedroom playing

Then the Vox is definitely the one you want. IMO, it does the Vox voicing and the Roland JC (boutique clean) better than the Super Champ.

• Members

I've played both and liked the Fender better overall. The cleans just beat the Vox hands down in my opinion. Honestly, the Vox I had (very breifly) had a roughness on the highs even with the treble turned all the way down that I didn't particualrly care for and over all sounded about what I expected for a small combo. The Fender somehow sounds bigger than it is, if that makes sense.

The Fender overdoes it a little in the "sag" department and it often feels more like an aggresive compressor rather than the slight sag you would get from a cranked tube amp, the Vox is better in this regard. However, I would take sound over feel any day.

Archived