• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Texas Radio & The Big Beat

Break on through

Roadhouse Blues

Gloria

I agree in the feeling they are a strange mix, really love many of their songs, really do not love the others

Gloria is good cover. IIRC, Jim met Van Morrison and they drank together.

• Members

Definitely "Break on Through" for me followed by "Twentieth Century Fox" and "When the Music's over".

Over the weekend I picked up a Doors DVD about the making of "The Doors",the first Doors album which for me was their best work. New release (2008) which features old footage and Morrison quips along with commentary from Densmore, Manzarak and Krieger as well as others such as Michael Mclure, Perry Ferrell, Henry Rollins and Bruce Botnik (original sound engineer) among others. Really shows the hard work, loyalty and commitment necessary to produce that kind of art. When the band got the deal with Electra they had been together for two years and had thirty solid originals (The Doors and Strange Days).

After I watched it, I ran out and bought the remastered Rhino re-release which sounds phenomenal and contains three additional tracks. Some stuff that was originally censored or mixed down is now present. She gets... she gets... from Break on through becomes "she gets high" and Morrison uses the word {censored} as a percussion effect towards the end of "The end" culminating with {censored} me baby.

After seeing the video, I was also struck by what a phenomenal drummer Densmore was and is. Huge jazz fan that used to follow the Miles Davis band on tour before joining the Doors. Really too bad that he suffers from tinnitus, because he is much better IMO than what "Riders on the Storm" is currently using. The use of a bossa nova beat and technique to start "Break on through" was a brilliant marriage I believe.

Also interesting:

Krieger had only played guitar for a little over two years when he was invited to join the band (two years on classical, six months on electric). But he also apparently studied with Ravi Shankar for a short time.

Manzarak must come from money because he was from Chicago but the band used his parents beach front home at Venice Beach to rehearse.

Morrison couldn't play a chord on any instrument and yet had words and melodies to several songs which the band had to then try to decipher the musical formulas to.

• Members

After seeing the video, I was also struck by what a phenomenal drummer Densmore was and is. Huge jazz fan that used to follow the Miles Davis band on tour before joining the Doors.

He was a good drummer, indeed, but I think his greatest contribution to music was having the incredible willpower to manage to restrain himself from driving his drumsticks through Jim Morrison's skull.

Similar situation for Ringo Starr - John Lennon/Paul McCartney, and Charlie Watts - Mick Jagger/Keith Richards.

• Members

I do believe Robby Krieger is playing though an old Acoustic Control Corporation amp.

For a while, Robby did play through Acoustic amps.

But, sometime in 1968, their roadie Vince Treanor built amps especially for Robby and modeled their appearance after the old Acoustic Amps that Robby played before. :thu:

• Members

He was a good drummer, indeed, but I think his greatest contribution to music was having the incredible willpower to manage to restrain himself from driving his drumsticks through Jim Morrison's skull.

Similar situation for Ringo Starr - John Lennon/Paul McCartney, and Charlie Watts - Mick Jagger/Keith Richards.

Yeah it was kinda funny watching Krieger dance around that. "Yeah dude, you're a good singer and songwriter, but why can't you just be more of a regular guy." (paraphrased)

• Members

When I lsten to the Doors I get angry....angry at just how {censored} rock music has become today.First 2 albums are pure gold.

I love this video,they may just be miming!

[YOUTUBE]x34wa2jehek[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

For a while, Robby did play through Acoustic amps.

But, sometime in 1968, their roadie Vince Treanor built amps especially for Robby and modeled their appearance after the old Acoustic Amps that Robby played before.
:thu:

I'll be goda hell. I didn't know that.

• Members

There was an album of live songs taken from shows dating from the late, late 60's; ALIVE SHE CRIED. It came out around the late 70's. I think it's been out of print for a lonnng time.

There is a rockin' 7+ minute version of Gloria (okay, not one of their songs, but a great version) with Jim adding a spoken line or two from another doors song towards the end. They do the beginning of Texas Radio and the Big Beat very slow and Bluesy with Jim doing the spoken word intro. Then, right into Roadhouse Blues. Good stuff if you're a Doors fan.

• Members

I got into them in high school, but still appreciate them today. That's one of the few bands that I still keep the full catalog of CDs. I may not listen to them for a few years, but I dust them off once in a while and have a few months of enjoyment. For me, 1968 was their peak. Morrison was coming off the psychedelics and not fully pickled in alcohol yet. My favorite live recording was from Denmark...recorded in the early AM in a television studio as cold as a meat locker ( according to Robbie).[YOUTUBE]m0WB9NPsRGU[/YOUTUBE]

Archived