Wich one would you choose ? Peavey Classic 30 or Delta Blues ?

woodsmandan

• Members

I got a chance to snag either a C30 or a DB, both used, both the same price. I am selling a Classic 50 212. because it's too heavey and has too much headroom...but I loved the sound, so a C30 or a DB seems a good solution...

The C30 I'm looking at has the tube tamers and the tube protection grill that sells on ebay, the DB is stock...

Wich one would you guys get and why ?

• Members

I tried both, side by side. Both are very, very, nice amps. The 30 was more portable and the DB had a more definite "signature" sound. I found the C30 to be more versatile.

Like I said, both were good but I brought the C30 home.

After a pup change (JJ full set for early breakup) and a new speaker (Weber anilco Silver Bell) it's better than any amp I've had before.

• Members

I would go with the Delta Blues. I found both amps pretty similar, but with the 15" speaker I felt it had a little warmer sound to it. Plus the added Tremolo on the DB adds a little more to the amp in my opinion.

• Members

Thanks for the replies ! And thanks for those who only voted, but feel free to also elaborate on the resons of your choice :thu:

Any known shortcomings of the 15" speaker in the DB ? Hows the bass response with it, tight or loose ? And the mids and highs ? i would imagine a looser but stronger low end and a "warmer", less prononced highs, am I wrong ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I got a chance to snag either a C30 or a DB, both used, both the same price. I am selling a Classic 50 212. because it's too heavey and has too much headroom...but I loved the sound, so a C30 or a DB seems a good solution...

The C30 I'm looking at has the tube tamers and the tube protection grill that sells on ebay, the DB is stock...

Wich one would you guys get and why ?

You want tremolo?

• Members

The C30. Since weight and headroom are issues, the C30 would be better suited. I'm not into the stock Peavey Classic speakers and 15" speakers in general. Slap a 12" Weber Blue Dog in there and you've got a kickin' amp. That's what I've got. Weber even has a 10% off sale right now. Having the added grill and tamers is just a bonus.

• Members

I really like my Delta. I scored it for an absolute bargain!... But that's not the real reason why i bought it. At the shop i compared it to the Classic 30, Laney VC-30 and a Fender Hotrod Deluxe and liked the bassier/warmer sound, more headroom of the 15in speaker and just overall retro coolness vibe. Plus I like being a little different to what most guys would use and its not often you see a DB.

That being said it; does have its cons like the tremolo cuts volume, there's no standby switch, my reverb is causing some annoying hum and it's not the most portable of 30W amps.

But I stand by my decision and wouldn't trade it for any of those alternatives previously mentioned or anything else.... well apart from a Vox AC30... or a Matchless DC30... or a Badcat 30... or a Rivera R30... ARGH AMP GAS!!

Archived