High frets and a hammer?

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

That can work. Really what you would want to do though is either re-set the part sticking up with adhesive or take the whole fret out, clean the slot and fret then reset the whole fret back.

Hmmm......I don't have the knowledge to do that.....:cop:

*hits high frets with hammer*

• Members

A hammer can only fix a high fret if its high because it's lifting out of the slot. Other things can cause a high fret that wouldn't be fixable with this method. The wood swelling under a fret ( can be causeed by humidity or string/trussrod pressure), and uneven fret wear are two examples where a hammer wouldn't help you.

The cause of the lifting fret would need to be assessed and the correct repair method would then have to be applied.

• Members

A hammer can only fix a high fret if its high because it's lifting out of the slot. Other things can cause a high fret that wouldn't be fixable with this method. The wood swelling under a fret ( can be causeed by humidity or string/trussrod pressure), and uneven fret wear are two examples where a hammer wouldn't help you.

The cause of the lifting fret would need to be assessed and the correct repair method would then have to be applied.

Good points:thu: Got to find the root cause.

• Members

The frets in question.....mostly above the 10th fret....weren't seated properly.

I used my fret rocker to find the culprits.....actually, you could visually see the frets weren't seated all of the way.

Thats pretty common. You may need to use some superglue to keep them down. Make sure they are free to move by clamping and watching, or gently using a hamemr. Then, wick some superglue under them. Use a bit of paste wax on the fret board to keep the glue off the fretboard wood. Quickly wipe down after applying the glue using a cloth moist with acetone. Clean up the neck and check the fret tops with a straightedge. Chances are will have at least have to spot level the trouble area.

Archived