Tonerider pickups & their Seymour Duncan equivalent??

wyldesigns

• Members

To what Seymour Duncan pickups can these Toneriders be compared??

Pure Vintage

Alnico IV

Rocksong

Generator

I only have the Alnico IV and Generator sets but this is how I see them.

The Alnico IV are sort of a mix of the '59 and the Seth Lover. I find they have a much clearer sound than the 59 with tighter low end and a tad more high end. They sound like a Seth with a bit more output and a stronger mid.

The Generator may not have a Duncan that sounds like it. I like it better than any Duncan I ever tried. To me it sounds more like a slightly hotter version of a Gibson 57 Classic Plus. Even though it's rated at 16K don't think it's a super hot metal-ly pickup. It has a very full, rich, tone to it. Might be my favorite pup ever.

• Members

The Alnico IV are sort of a mix of the '59 and the Seth Lover. I find they have a much clearer sound than the 59 with tighter low end and a tad more high end. They sound like a Seth with a bit more output and a stronger mid.

The Generator may not have a Duncan that sounds like it. I like it better than any Duncan I ever tried. To me it sounds more like a slightly hotter version of a Gibson 57 Classic Plus. Even though it's rated at 16K don't think it's a super hot metal-ly pickup. It has a very full, rich, tone to it. Might be my favorite pup ever.

:thu::thu::thu:

• Members

Son of a ....

After reading what you wrote about the IVs I was ready to pounce! I was gonna post that you had convinced me, with that one paragraph.

And then I read the next paragraph.....

:idk::mad::eek:

• Members

Son of a ....

After reading what you wrote about the IVs I was ready to pounce! I was gonna post that you had convinced me, with that one paragraph.

And then I read the next paragraph.....

:idk::mad::eek:

Dude, I was kind of afraid to say anything at all after frickin stalking Pete for the last few weeks and bugging him about the Alnico IV's for my Dot. I'm actually looking for something a lot like a Classic 57, but about half the cost so that sentence kind of through me for a loop. Of course I don't care for hot pickups that much so the IV's may be the route I go in the end anyway. Just got no real motivation to wire anything up right now.

• Members

I have Tonerider Generators in two guitars and it flat out rocks. Absolutely a quality pickup. EQ'd like classic LP style PAF but crunchier, hotter, more harmonics, it's really pretty complex if you listen well.

My new favorite pickup.

Archived