Danelectro Silvertones: I think I've fallen in love.

Corduroy

• Members

I'll share!
:love:
I almost bought one of those "amp in case" beasts so many times but never did. Now they are all getting too expen$ive! Dammit!
:mad:

Yeah, I want one so bad! You can get the reissue's pretty cheap but they're not the same. Plus you don't get the amp in case. On www.vintagesilvertones.com there's often some pretty cheap ones but they're currently out of stock at the moment.

Wonderful guitars though. Back in the 60's they were only $50!

• Members

I love that body style - it's called the "Hornet."

I seem to remember them going for $69 or something like that in the Sears catalog.

They are a very short-scale - had to be to fit in the cases. And don't have adjustable truss-rods. I believe the necks are steel reinforced, so you get what you get as far as playability goes. And, while the duckfoot headstock is kinda neat, it does put a kink in the strings that can cause tuning and string breakage issues.

Dano is reissuing that Hornet this year as a regular scale [25"] 6, short and long scale bass plus a baritone. They have the intoneable metal saddles, adjustable truss rod and the coke-bottle headstock that keeps the strings from kinking at the nut. A good blend of retro vibe and modern technology. Pricing is pretty good as well.

• Members

6, short and long scale bass plus a baritone. They have the intoneable metal saddles, adjustable truss rod and the coke-bottle headstock that keeps the strings from kinking at the nut. A good blend of retro vibe and modern technology. Pricing is pretty good as well.

The single-PU was short scale, the twin PU model was full scale (and it's amp was slightly higher wattage and featured trem!)

• Members

The single-PU was short scale, the twin PU model was full scale (and it's amp was slightly higher wattage and featured trem!)

You could be right, but that's not how I remember them. I don't think I've ever seen a Hornet with a trem. The later versions did have a higher wattage amp, but I'm pretty sure they kept the scale the same. Again, I could be wrong - links?

Help!I'maRock! - you really think pricing is going to go up on the older ones? For the most part, they look cooler than they actually are. Quite a few of them are horrible to play, which is why we keep seeing the same ones recycling on eBay. Perhaps there will be some initial mania from some wanting an "original" but there are not that many people into guitars as wall art.

Telestar did an improved re-issue back in the '90's complete with a SS amp in case. Called it either the Mona or the Lisa - forget which was named what. It was a Strat scale and had many of the improvements we're seeing on the '63. Those are pretty rare and tend to go for more than the originals from what I've seen.

• Members

You could be right, but that's not how I remember them. I don't think I've ever seen a Hornet with a trem. The later versions did have a higher wattage amp, but I'm pretty sure they kept the scale the same. Again, I could be wrong - links?

Not trem on the guitar, but on the amp. The smaller case had a 3 watt amp, 6" speaker and no frills. The larger case had a 5-watt amp with a 8" speaker and trem.

I've owned both the single PU black 1448 and the 2 PU 1457 red burst, at different times. The 1448 was sold as the "student" model with shorter scale 18 fret neck. The 1457 has a full-scale 21 fret neck. The lack of adjustable truss rod and the soft feel of the neck was why I eventually sold each. But they had an incredible, lo-fi slide tone, especially through their amps.

Actually, you can see the different scale right in the pics in the OP, find the 12th fret on each model.

• Members

I has.

IMG_0150.jpg

All of mine are very playable. Though the two single cutaways see the most gigging time. The one with the amplifier in the case used to belong to Dexter Romweber of Flat Duo Jets. If you don't know who they are look them up. The one on the far right is a tic tac bass.

I have owned reissues. They played well and sounded pretty good. But then I played some old ones and sold the reissues.

• Members

A friend of mine collects those. They're his favorite. I've never played one that I liked personally. They always feel like toys to me.

My favorite still relatively cheap vintage guitar are the 60's solid body Gretschs. Corvettes mostly. I'd love to get an Astrojet but they've already gotten too expensive.

• Members

Help!I'maRock! - you really think pricing is going to go up on the older ones? For the most part, they look cooler than they actually are. Quite a few of them are horrible to play, which is why we keep seeing the same ones recycling on eBay. Perhaps there will be some initial mania from some wanting an "original" but there are not that many people into guitars as wall art.

Telestar did an improved re-issue back in the '90's complete with a SS amp in case. Called it either the Mona or the Lisa - forget which was named what. It was a Strat scale and had many of the improvements we're seeing on the '63. Those are pretty rare and tend to go for more than the originals from what I've seen.

prices on originals always go up as soon as there is a reissue. especially when its an offshore made reissue that has a couple of inconsistencies.

the new '63 has:

19 frets

two pups

single vol & tone

3 per side modified coke bottle headstock

fully adjustable bridge, no rosewood saddle

they've combined features from both the single and double pup models to create a hybrid. then they've kept their post-lawsuit headstock. so the only thing that's a reissue is the body style, color, and pickguard. and i'm sure collectors will have issues with those too. this will drive up prices even further on the originals. you thought $500 for a dano was insane, just wait.

• Members

K - not to be picking a fight, but I loaded both images into Photoshop and they appear exactly the same scale to me. Check it out...

Uh, look at your pictures, which one is the single PU 1448?

You loaded a 1449 and a 1457, both of those are two PU models.

The single-PU 1448 is the short scale.

• Members

I had one of each (1 pup and 2 pup). The bridges were crap, the tuners were worse. The frets were cheap, almost impossible to really 'polish'. And they never really seemed to have more than one useful tone (for me). I sold 'em at a big profit after holding them for a few years and have never looked back. Cool, but not very functional guitars.

• Members

Uh, look at your pictures, which one is the single PU 1448?

You loaded two 1457's, both of those are two PU models.

The single-PU 1448 is the short scale.

My bad. I'm still pretty sure both were shorter scale, but I'll defer to you for the moment as I've never owned either. Will probably get a '63 though.

• Members

mine will be a baritone
:thu:

Dano baritones are totally sick. Sound huge. I already have one on my double:

Double-Dano.gif

which is why I'm going for the regular guitar version, otherwise I'd be all over a baritone. Latest Guitar Player has a baritone roundup and the '63 got a rave review. :thu:

• Members

I had one. The novelty was cool. The actual playability was limited. I'm not sure what the scale was, but it was
short!
I traded it in w/o any regrets.

Danelectro had a tendency to be frugal and reuse parts wherever possible, which is why I'm dubious about different scales. That would require they do custom tooling for a new neck scale and larger amp case - which is just out of character for that company. Their modus operandi is more likely to just drill out different pickup cavities and do a new pickguard, but I don't know for sure anymore [see cornflake post above].

• Members

I got this one on Ebay last week for $350 BIN.It's my favorite guitar.The neck is dead straight and the action super low.I think the guitar weighs less than 6 pounds.Little 3 watt amp breaks up early but you can get a good clean sound if you turn down the the volume on the guitar.The neck is "steel reinforced" but it is not like the steel reinforced neck on those other cheap 60's guitar.These necks are very slim and reinforced with dual I-beams. And don't forget those original lipstick pickups with alnico6 mags.They sound warmer,rounder and have more bottom than the reissues.I really think these Silvertone's made by Danelectro are some of the best bargains still available in the vintage market.

100_1199.jpg

100_1202.jpg

100_1203.jpg

100_1201.jpg

100_1206_edited.jpg

Archived