What do you guys think of Gibbo R8 VOS LPs?

J.L.C.

• Members

I think I've found a good deal on an '07 R8 VOS within driving distance, basically what I'd pay for a new standard (which would be weight relieved).

It'd be my first LP, but I'm GASing for one pretty bad so I want to get a nice one.

The other option would be a mail-order new Standard with a flame top, but from what I've read I don't know if I want to trust buying an LP sight unseen.

Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences with em?

• Members

i want it. this exact guitar. with classic 57's. no pick guard. unless i had a seizure, it probably would be my number 1 and i would sell off the rest.

if anyone wants to do a 3 for 1 trade, PM me.

I'm not sure which pups are in it yet, but it's a 2007 so it might have burstbuckers in it - I'd reallllly prefer the '57s

• Members

I think I've found a good deal on an '07 R8 VOS within driving distance, basically what I'd pay for a new standard (which would be weight relieved).

It'd be my first LP, but I'm GASing for one pretty bad so I want to get a nice one.

The other option would be a mail-order new Standard with a flame top, but from what I've read I don't know if I want to trust buying an LP sight unseen.

Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences with em?

The R8 Custom shop will have the long neck tenon, I'd go for that. Definitely a difference acoustically whatever my sig says..LOL

Here's my 2003 R0 'Happy Humphrey' .. Absolutely awesome tone. 9lb on the nose with no weight relief. Lovely mid range woody honk with bags of sustain

HumphreyA.jpg

• Members

That looks like a GC R0, or did you put the reflectors on yourself ?

No, it's an R8 and I just stuck the reflectors on myself. I like the feel of reflector knobs a lot better than the stock knobs. They seem easier to grab with my pinkie. They look better too.

• Members
No, it's an R8 and I just stuck the reflectors on myself. I like the feel of reflector knobs a lot better than the stock knobs. They seem easier to grab with my pinkie. They look better too.

Lovely guitar...:thu:
Yeah I agree with regard the control knobs.

• Members

I've got a few days before I'm back home to check it out.

The only thing making me hesitant is that it's a plain top instead of a flame - but I dunno if I can justify another 2 grand just for flame

Decisions, decisions.....

• Members

I've got a few days before I'm back home to check it out.

The only thing making me hesitant is that it's a plain top instead of a flame - but I dunno if I can justify another 2 grand just for flame

Decisions, decisions.....

The necks on an R8 and a flame-top R9 or R0 are going to be different. If you like the R8 neck, I wouldn't hesitate to get it. A nice flame top is great, but it's no substitute for playability. FWIW, my R8 neck is fat as hell and the most comfortable neck I have played.

• Members

Judge every guitar made by any company on it's own individual merits.
While Gibson Historics are great as a group, there are hot ones, average ones and turds to be found in the entire group. Choose carefully, not based on price, but based on the way it is made, what you want in the guitar, everything. The result of not being picky is that you will unload it after the honeymoon period has expired, and it may leave a sour taste in your mouth from the experience.

If you want a flametop Historic, check Mark's Guitar Loft, or Dave's Guitar Shop under Gibson used, as they get terrific guitars in all the time.
Patience in this case would be a virtue, unless you are willing to take the R8 you have in mind and are prepared to deal with it being a plain top.

Spending some time looking around, and maybe being willing to save up a bit more money, may make you happier to get everything you are seeking from a guitar.
A recent R9 was sold on EBay for $3,100. That is a terrific price.

Another great guitar, if you like the neck feeling, is a Guitar Center GO, which is their version of a Historic R0. Great value as the R8 is and within your price range, although it as well, has no figured top, but is historic through and through.

• Members

I know the necks are very chunky, which I love. But what is it about the frets that are different?

They're not anymore. IIRC, when they originally came out, the r7&8 had slightly smaller fretts than the r9&r0, to better relpicate what was on them historically. Now they all use the same fretwire, making the choice much easier and increasing the popularity of the r7&8

Archived