OT: Why bashing Behringer ...

chaosStrings

• Members

(provocative thread) :blah: :blah: :bor:

... and not most of the boutique builders ?

Many of these offer just the usual circuits, like the Tube Screamer, with small modifications.

Often they put 2 tons of goop and claim them to be an original design. Finally they add 200 $ at least to the price ...

... and they get often praised by those same people who blame Behringer for not innovating, and ripping other people's work.

One concrete example: the Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive (400+$) and the Clay Jones Overdrive (1500$).

LDOD - modifications from a TS808:

- 2 resistors

- 1 capacitor

- 2 Leds, or nothing, or 3 Si diodes (trough a 3-way switch) instead of 2 Si diodes for clipping.

(mods which have been described for ages in the DIY community)

CJOD: a copy of the LDOD, with 3 times the price, and goop inside.

:rolleyes:

I must be really stupid. :confused:. Please explain me the reason of this in a rational way.

(This thread is not for bashing the LDOD and the CJOD. It's just an example and I'm just trying to understand)

:idea:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

IMO the electrics in them are perfectly passable, maybe a shade worse than the BOSS counterpart, but the problem is their build. I'm so scared to step on them for fear of doing some serious damage. Rehousing is a great idea though, if you have the guts and the know how.

• Members

(provocative thread)
:blah:
:blah:
:bor:

... and not most of the boutique builders ?

Many of these offer just the usual circuits, like the Tube Screamer, with small modifications.

Often they put 2 tons of goop and claim them to be an original design. Finally they add 200 $ at least to the price ...

... and they get often praised by those same people who blame Behringer for not innovating, and ripping other people's work.

One concrete example: the Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive (400+$) and the Clay Jones Overdrive (1500$).

LDOD - modifications from a TS808:

- 2 resistors

- 1 capacitor

- 2 Leds, or nothing, or 3 Si diodes (trough a 3-way switch) instead of 2 Si diodes for clipping.

(mods which have been described for ages in the DIY community)

CJOD: a copy of the LDOD, with 3 times the price, and goop inside.

:rolleyes:

I must be really stupid.
:confused:
. Please explain me the reason of this in a rational way.

(This thread is not for bashing the LDOD and the CJOD. It's just an example and I'm just trying to understand)

:idea:

Actually answering the question...

My guess, with the boutique screamer clones, is that they are lauded because they are taking a popular design, and attempting to improve it. While the actual changes to the circuit may be minimal, I would assume a lot goes into specific component selection etc. With Behringer, they're taking a popular design, and making it cheaper, not "better". So the spirit of the copying is a bit different, which might affect peoples' opinions.

I wouldn't rip Behringer for copying pedals, since pretty much everyone does it...you don't see the Bad Monkey getting slamming for being a copy, and that's basically a screamer with separate hi and lo knobs rather than a general tone. I don't think Behringer makes a high quality product, so that's why I'd be more apt to bash it. But I certainly would never spend $400+ a slightly enhanced TS808 so I'm not defending that either.

• Members

I turned my nose up at Behringer for years do to rubbish on the internet until I tried it myself. Been using one of their headphone amps for a few years now with no issue. Reviewed the Ultratone Keyboard amp for FrugalGuitarist.com in a few different performance scenarios without issue. Currently testing out one of there powered PA monitors with great success.

Behringer may very well have had a bunch of quality issues in the past, there seem to be a bunch of stories online. Personally, I've never had an issue with them.

• Members

i bought my son a Behringer amp for his bass and it does the job very nicely. the bass player in our band also uses a Behringer head and he has no issues whatsoever. I'd match his tone up with many more expensive brands.

• Members

The only problem i've had with Behringers is their Truth Monitors. They pick up radio stations. Lousy shielding. Seriously, couple layers of thin aluminum foil seperated by a insulator and grounded is all they need to do.

heck they could have just sprayed the inside of the speaker cabinet with a conductive paint and gound that.

Otherwise the DI is great. Does its job properly and the midi contrller foot pedal is awesome, just dont be doing jumping jacks on it.

Gotta save some money first but cant wait to try the 333xl. I'm willing to give their stuff a fair shot, considering the price.

• Members

I'd love to try behringer products but no one near me sells them. The bugera amps have caught my attention but I'm scared of buying an amp without playing it first even though most mail order places will let you return them. The cost of shipping a 60 pound amp is quite a bit so if I order it and don't like it, it'll be a very expensive experiment.

As for their pedals and stuff, no stores carry them. The stores near me are GC, sam ash and musicians discount center. None of them have any behringer stuff. Could always order one online but just never got around to it.

• Members

All of my Behringer stuff has been solid, 2 V-Amp Pros (Guitar & Bass) that I'd replace in a heartbeat if they crapped out and 48 point patchbay that works as good as the day I got it. The only thing I can complain about is a DI box I got that just didnt work out for what I wanted it to do. Now Im not saying their stuff is top of the line, but a lot of their stuff is hard to beat for the price.

• Members

For the consumer, Behringer provides very cost-effective alternatives to the more expensive products. "Anyone can afford a Behringer device".

For the manufacturers, Behringer is a royal pain in the a$$ because they undercut everyone with similar products for way less money. Some manufacturers have caught them "reverse engineering" or cloning their designs, accuse them of using substandard parts and components, and say they use unsavory sales tactics to grow their ever expanding empire.

Since their products are so reasonably priced, I think there are a lot of newbies that buy their stuff, don't know how to use it properly, wind up with crappy results, then bad-mouth the product because of their own lack of experience. I'm guessing they'd have the same crappy results with extremely expensive big-name products of the same ilk. Hard to say...

:snax:

• Members

i have owned several (12+) behringer products over the years and have had absolutely no problems with them, and have found the audio quality pretty good. But the reason i used behringer was because i had little money. When i got a bit more money, i went a bit higher up. But there is NO brand out there that fits the price/value ratio like behringer. NONE.

• Members

I don't know about the Behringer pedals, I know I steered clear of their amps for the same reason I steer clear of a lot amps out there now, I don't like all the modeling crap they're building into a lot of them. I did get my son a small Behringer amp with all that stuff, but figured he's a kid, he'll get into it.

I did finally, recently buy a Behringer amp for myself, an acoustic amp which doesn't have all that extra modeling stuff. I got a good scratch and dent deal on a new one, and the reviews everywhere I looked were good overall, and from what I've seen so far, the reviews were justified.

• Members

I love my V-AMP.

On the other hand, Behringer does have the annoying habit of rating their amps (at least some of them) in some sort of "peak" watts versus watts RMS. This has been discussed many times on th V-AMP mailing list.

The BX-1800 I have sounds good, but you could only hear it over

a drummer with no arms or legs. Thing's 'prolly more like 60 watts.

Drilled a hole in the back, ran a speaker wire into it and use it

as a cab for the wife's G-K backline 600. At least the 15" speaker

is pretty good. I'm afraid to let her turn it past 3, though.

• Members

I have a Behringer bass amp that has decent tone, but the grill cloth won't stay on. It doesn't matter if I play bass thru it or if it sits in the corner of my music room. How hard is it to pony up for velcro that works? Behringer stuff just screams cost-cutting, cheap, unreliable gear to me.

Archived