Yeah, so I have some serious GAS for a new tele

Utero

• Members

Recently, my friend's little brother bought a new MIM tele because he liked mine so much. Well, when I got my hands on it I noticed this thing completely blows mine out of the water. Not only that, but I go to a few guitar shops and I make the mistake of playing a James Burton tele and a Fender Thinline tele. Both of these are insanely nice and now, I want a new tele. Now before I go buy (may be a month or two) any others I should give a try?

Fuel my gas, post pics of teles :thu:

• Members

I was actually thinking about selling it about a year back and decided not to; it was pretty much my first guitar and if I keep it for a while it'll be vintage, it's also in great condition.

• Members
Recently, my friend's little brother bought a new MIM tele because he liked mine so much. Well, when I got my hands on it I noticed this thing completely blows mine out of the water. Not only that, but I go to a few guitar shops and I make the mistake of playing a James Burton tele and a Fender Thinline tele. Both of these are insanely nice and now, I want a new tele. Now before I go buy (may be a month or two) any others I should give a try?

Fuel my gas, post pics of teles
:thu:

So the new MIM's are THAT much nicer then the old MIM's? I haven't had a chance to try one yet.

I suppose you could go all out and get an American Deluxe Telecaster. MF.com has a blem with a pretty good discount.

474880.jpg

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Deluxe-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=511147X

I have a buddy that has one of these, it's a good guitar:

Fender Lite Ash Telecaster
p25974.jpg

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-FEN-265102-LIST

• Members
So the new MIM's are THAT much nicer then the old MIM's? I haven't had a chance to try one yet.

I can't speak for all the MIM teles in the 90's, but I remember quite clearly going through about 20-30 MIM strats and teles back in about 1994 and not finding a single one that was worth a {censored}. And I wasn't even that well versed on what to look for at the time. Hell the MIA strat that I bought really wasn't set up well at all for years and it blew them all away. :confused:

I bought a MIM tele last year and the difference between it and the older ones is amazing. I tried a couple out at GC and scored a blem off of MF for a real nice price. Very little had to be done to get it playing great, although the stock pickups had to go. I don't usually do a lot of pickup swaps, but between them sounding muddy and the hum I had to ditch them.

The MIM stuff is so much better these days that I have really considered selling my MIA strat and going MIM just to have some money for something else. Never happen, but if I am at least considering it that speaks volumes. My strat is the only guitar that I will never part with.

• Members

I was actually thinking about selling it about a year back and decided not to; it was pretty much my first guitar and if I keep it for a while it'll be vintage, it's also in great condition.

i don't think '92 MIM Teles will ever really be considered "vintage".

• Members

The Baja is the best MIM Tele out there, bar none. For its price, I think its one of the best sounding Teles period, MIA's inlcuded. It uses MIA electronics, including the S-1 switch circuit, and custom pickups (Broadcaster in the neck, Twisted-Tele in the bridge) that are fantastic. Very close to, if not equal with, MIA Teles.

Otherwise, go MIA, maybe a Highway 1 which people rave about here. Here are my MIA and Baja Teles:

IMG_0142.jpg

• Members
i don't think '92 MIM Teles will ever really be considered "vintage".

Well, not like a '60 tele but you never how people will react 20-30 years from now.

As for price, I was thinking about getting the James Burton so I'd say anywhere from $1500 and below.

Anyone played one of these?

453334.jpg

• Members

The TC-90 is really like a double cut-away tele

DSC01829.jpg

This is a Custom Tele Special w DiMarzio Air Norton & Tone Zone

Guitars008.jpg

'69 Thinline

69ThinlineESPEC-400003.jpg

Ash-bodied Nashville Deluxe

NashvilleTele001.jpg

this one is gone now :cry:

FenderTelecaster013.jpg

Squier Affinity Special

AffinityTele.jpg

Squier Tele Custom II with a '72 Deluxe RI

Custom72Tele.jpg

I also have a '52 RI and an American Deluxe. Don't have pics of those. The American Deluxe is probably my fave with the '52 RI a very close second.

EDIT:

Just remembered I forgot one. I think this might have been my first Tele purchase. A really decent sounding guitar for the money.

Peavey Reactor

Reactor.jpg

2nd Edit:

Just got around to taking a pic of my Am Deluxe today.

DSC01873.jpg

• Members

I've always wanted that white tele w/gold hardware of yours gas man
:wave:

ahh nice teles though.

Thanks. I'd bought it for my GF (now wife) but she never got into playing it. So I decided to part with it after it sat around getting almost zero play for 10 years. It was just hard to bond with a guitar that I never bought for myself especially when I was acquiring my own teles. So I sold it to a fellow forumite so it found a good home. This one was called something like a '90s Telecaster Custom.

If I'd had been buying for myself I would have gone for its black cousin that was a beautiful black/gold/black pearloid beauty. I remember asking her if she was sure about wanting the guitar, and I said, if you're not sure, I'll get the black. Well she said she was sure so I bought the white version which she played no more than 3 times tops.

Looking up in old PMs it was forumite "brokenfrontR" who bought it from me in April '06. That forumite has dropped out of the picture here and I often wonder how he's getting along with that guitar. It was a well built MIJ Fender, but like most of the MIJs, it could have benefited from new pups with a bit more output and character or just add some OD to its "vintage toned" pups and it would have been fine.

• Members
Thanks. I'd bought it for my GF (now wife) but she never got into playing it. So I decided to part with it after it sat around getting almost zero play for 10 years. It was just hard to bond with a guitar that I never bought for myself especially when I was acquiring my own teles. So I sold it to a fellow forumite so it found a good home. This one was called something like a '90s Telecaster Custom.

If I'd had been buying for myself I would have gone for its black cousin that was a beautiful black/gold/black pearloid beauty. I remember asking her if she was sure about wanting the guitar, and I said, if you're not sure, I'll get the black. Well she said she was sure so I bought the white version which she played no more than 3 times tops.

Looking up in old PMs it was forumite "brokenfrontR" who bought it from me in April '06. That forumite has dropped out of the picture here and I often wonder how he's getting along with that guitar. It was a well built MIJ Fender, but like most of the MIJs, it could have benefited from new pups with a bit more output and character or just add some OD to its "vintage toned" pups and it would have been fine.

How much did you let it go for? I've thought about slapping some gold hardware on a white tele. Thing is, I don't have either :lol:

Archived