What do you use a travel practice amp?

Eddie27

• Members

I'm thinking of selling my Boss Mini BR because I never use it to record, but I like taking it along on trips so I can practice in my hotel room w/ phones. Is there a good cheap mini amp that I can downgrade to - something with a distorted setting - that can serve this purpose? Does the Danelectro Bacon n Eggs have a headphone jack?

• Members

I have Digitech Genesis 3 or whatever it is, haven't seen or used it in a while. It's one of those digital amp modelers. I take that and a pair of computer speakers and a subwoofer along with me when traveling. I have a small military radio bag that fits everything I need perfectly, cables, power adapters and whatever other little things that go along with that stuff.

• Members

Those little Vox amplug thingies are pretty nifty. I've got the AC30 version and it's great for practicing with headphones. It also fits nicely into the little compartment in my case. The AC30 model will get a little bit gritty if you jack up the gain setting. I would imagine that the "Classic Rock' or "Metal" versions would get even grittier, if that's what you were after. If you get one, it's also a good idea to get one of those 12-packs of AAA batteries to keep with it. It'll really piss you off if you sit down to practice and relax a bit after a long day and the batteries have died.

• Members

I carry my Digitech RP250 modeler with me and a pair of high-end, Sony headphones. The tuner is a bit primitive, but I can make it work. It's got more tones and effects than I would ever need, a fantastic drum machine, and a pedal for wah, vol, whammy, or expression. Plus, it has USB for direct recording to a PC. Even has a detune to make the guitar sound like a bass. I could not find a better value for $150.

Here's a demo I recorded using the drum machine, the guitar w/detune, and guitar w/wah. I didn't have a USB at the time, yet it sounds ok considering. RP250 Funk: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5479613

• Members

Depending on your budget, I would say one of the the following:

Vox Amplug (one trick pony, but the trick is SO nice !) - $40.
Vox DA5 (EXCELLENT variety, and sounds good with headphones, or play through the speaker - I've done both in hotel rooms with no complaints) - $129
Line6 PocketPod (headphones only; more sounds than you can shake a stick at, but getting to them can be maddening) - $129

• Members
I carry my Digitech RP250 modeler with me and a pair of high-end, Sony headphones. The tuner is a bit primitive, but I can make it work. It's got more tones and effects than I would ever need, a fantastic drum machine, and a pedal for wah, vol, whammy, or expression. Plus, it has USB for direct recording to a PC. Even has a detune to make the guitar sound like a bass. I could not find a better value for $150.

Here's a demo I recorded using the drum machine, the guitar w/detune, and guitar w/wah. I didn't have a USB at the time, yet it sounds ok considering. RP250 Funk:
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5479613

Wow, JRock, that sounds pretty darn good :thu:

Has me rethinking the RP line :idea:

• Members
Wow, JRock, that sounds pretty darn good
:thu:

Has me rethinking the RP line
:idea:

i've not the RP line in this regard, but in front of an amp the tones are exceptional. especially compared to the original line and i am NOT into digital or modeling effects, but good is good and i think they are.

• Members

Wow, JRock, that sounds pretty darn good
:thu:

Has me rethinking the RP line
:idea:

Thanks. The new RP line is completely different sounding than the old RP line.

The guitar patch I used in that clip is actually factory preset...multiple effects on...I had just gotten it. I've learned to tweak it, turn off a lot of the effects, to get even better tones. :thu:

• Members

I like to bring my JCM800 with me wherever I go, it gets the absolute best tones imaginable and it sounds great paired with my Les Paul. Got an Orange 2x12 cab to go with it. Excellent tones, and I must say, those windows sure do rattle when I crank it.

I kid, I kid...I think the DA-5 makes for an excellent practice amp. Great tones, small form factor and headphone jack. The Roland MicroCube is also great for the travel amp thing, and it runs on batteries :)

OOH, that reminds me, if you can get a copy of WavesGTR or even just OS X's Garageband, there's some halfway decent models in there. I'd only use those in a pinch, but they don't sound terrible.

• Members

I have Digitech Genesis 3 or whatever it is, haven't seen or used it in a while. It's one of those digital amp modelers. I take that and a pair of computer speakers and a subwoofer along with me when traveling. I have a small military radio bag that fits everything I need perfectly, cables, power adapters and whatever other little things that go along with that stuff.

+1 on the computer speakers. I do that also with my Zoom G2

• Members

I have a whole collection of those little amps.

I travel with my Pocket Pod and an older Korg Pandora. I run the Pod into the Pandora so that I can use the drums an loops from the Korg and the guitar sounds from the Pod.

I also have a Traveler guitar that has been all over the world with me! It has stickers from everywhere it's visited. They make one with a built in headphone amp now.

tg1.jpg

tg2.jpg

tg3.jpg

• Members

The MicroCube always comes along on holiday.

It's not the greatest sounding baby amp for home use (the Champion 600 beats it easy for tone), but it's small, light, portable and the battery-powering option means I can cart it to acoustic jams without having to worry about plugging it into the wall.

• Members

Ive heard those little jack amplifiers are pretty good, the little ones u plug into the guitar output and plug some headphones into. Little replicas of an ac30 ect.

+100 - I recently got one of those (AC30 classic rock version) and while it wouldn't fool anyone into thinking it is an AC30 - it is a great little amp to practice with when you don't want anyone to be disturbed. And for $40, how can you go wrong?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

+1 on the Roland MicroCube. Best $125 I ever spent!

+10, but I only paid $75 for mine used on ebay. Headphones are essential for hotel rooms (I had a call from the front desk that someone was complaining before I finished one friggin' song at low volume in my hotel room). And battery power means I can take it outside to inspiring places. I played it on the rim of the Grand Canyon.

Archived