Best Tele for Radiohead Sound

albiedamned

• Members

My next guitar is going to be a Tele, and I really want to achieve the beautiful clean sounds that Jonny Greenwood in Radiohead gets. See the videos below for a couple examples. It's a very pure, mellow sound. I assume he's using the neck pickup a lot. I don't want to spend 4 figures for an American standard, and I don't want a semi-hollow (thinline) or humbucker model. So my choices are basically the standard MIM, the Blackout, the Nashville, the Highway 1, Classic '50s, or Classic '60s models.

From what I've been reading, the Classic 60's sounds like it might be the best choice for the kind of sounds I want. The Blackout and Highway 1 are both supposed to be "hotter", which isn't in line with the pure, mellow sound I want. And I assume the Nashville is more twangy, which again isn't what I want.

Thoughts anyone?

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

So you think it's more about the pickups than the specific model? If that's the case then I should just get the standard MIM and upgrade the pups.

Thats an option. Alot of the MIMs I have demoed were very nice players. Don't forget the amp and cool effects part of the equation.

• Members

whichever Tele you want, but it probably should have a rosewood fretboard for that sound

That's one of the reasons I was interested in the Classic 60s. I just was at my local GC tonight. Unfortunately they only have MIM Standard and American Standard in stock. No Highway One, no Classic 50s or 60s, nothing. I did play the MIM for a bit and it was a nice tone, but the model I was playing had horrible intonation so it was very distracting. I kept retuning but I couldn't get it right. I'll try some other local stores to see if I can find a Classic 60s.

• Members

Ya, he uses lace sensors and I'm pretty sure he runs the bridge pickup most of the time. The problem with that is it's a humbucker lace sensor which is not made anymore and somewhat difficult to get your hands on. I don't know if you can get that tone with a regular Tele wide range humbucker (the ones that come in the '72 Deluxe). Haven't really tried to acheive the tone, it is amazing though.

• Members

Ya, he uses lace sensors and I'm pretty sure he runs the bridge pickup most of the time.
The problem with that is it's a humbucker lace sensor which is not made anymore and somewhat difficult to get your hands on
. I don't know if you can get that tone with a regular Tele wide range humbucker (the ones that come in the '72 Deluxe). Haven't really tried to acheive the tone, it is amazing though.

Eh? I've seen loads on the american eBay and Musicians Friend still sell them (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lace-Sensor-RedRed-Dually-Humbucker-Pickup?sku=482422) Quite reasonably priced for something that judging by the demos, will sound amazing.

• Members

actually it's not a humbucker

it's two single coils wired as a humbucker

if i were you this is what i would do

get a cheap tele(squier, mim)

put lace sensors in, the exact one johnnys has (the 3 single coils)

make one of the knobs push/pull so that you can still get the single coil bridge sound

optional:the kill switch

he has a really cool kill switch i think

it's just a momentary but it just looks cool when he uses it (check some live vids)

• Members

You can get a mellow sound with any of them - just roll off the tone knob a little and adjust your amp. the amp and the effects will have as much and maybe more to do with the sound.

get a used MIM or maybe one of those new xaviere's and see what sounds you can cop out of it before you make any changes.

• Members

i'd probably go with an american deluxe. toss some lace sensors in there, keep the S1 switching system.

i mostly say go with the american deluxe because that's what i have.

Thats what i was going to say, and that if you cant afford an American Deluxe (like most of us :cry: ) then you can get the Baja Telecaster, which has S-1 switching :cool:

• Members

Thats what i was going to say, and that if you cant afford an American Deluxe (like most of us
:cry:
) then you can get the Baja Telecaster, which has S-1 switching
:cool:

truth.

i had a baja before my american deluxe. i miss that guitar. badly. i might have to buy another one in the future.

be weary of the baja tho. the neck is alot thicker than other tele's. i loved it, being primarily a gibson guy, but its not for everyone.

Archived