I really shouldn't but --AMP poll/question

nuke_diver

• Members

So I really don't need a new amp my AD30 is ok. But I love the sound of a tube amp :love:. And my wife is going away for 2 weeks so I could get one and try it out and if it's too loud or not verstile enough return it and she would be none the wiser :thu:

The parameters are I play a lot of different things and my only pedal is a wah pedal and I don't see getting a bunch of pedals to cover different tones. Secondly I only play at home and in a ~ 8X10 room. I don't want or need something that's going to take the paint off cause that will just mean I have to repaint it :eek:

These are the ones I have on a short list due to price/availability and the assumption of the sound I could get (I would rather buy local and pay the tax so I can hear the amp before I get it).
SCXD, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AC15 Custom Classic, Fender Blues Jr.

I'd love to hear comments and yes I know this should be in Amps but we know what happens there..besides what good is an electric without an amp :cop:

• Members

So on the high side your price is $600 for the AC15CC1 with Vox GSH12-30 Speaker? Lots to choose from in that price range, especially if you go used.

If you're going to go with the Blues Jr. I would suggest the NOS w/Jensen speaker.

One of the forumites may be willing to part with their H&K 20th Anniversary tube amp. I'm not.

The SCXD is sweet if you like modeling and Fender tones. I upgraded the speaker in mine.

Not familiar with the Windsor, but you can get a Peavey Classic 30 for $400 new. In the long haul you can't go wrong with a C30.

Some forum members have bought used Crate Palomino V32s for well under that. I have a V16.

You can even get a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, DeVille, or DRRI for under $600. Maybe a lot more wattage than you're looking for but nice amps with nice Fender tone.

Out of the items you have listed I voted for "other" because there are too many options to limit it to the ones you have listed.

• Members

Lots to choose from in that price range, especially if you go used.

Quite true but I have a specific concern. Things like the classic 30 or drri are great but I'm quite sure too loud for my "stage" that being the bedroom I play in. I am thinking that any 15w might be so I want to be able to return it if it doesn't cut it. Used won't work very well for that.

• Members

You'll be faced with the old problem of not being able to hear the true sound of a tube amp at house levels.

I have an AD30 and at house level it sounds far better than my Marshall TSL601.

When I take the Marshall out to gig it's a totally different story but unless you live a long way away away from your neighbours, you'll never hear your tube amp as it should sound - unless you pay more for a good attenuator.

For what it's worth, I voted for the Fender SCXD. It isn't a full tube amp but it's the closest you'll get to one from the hybrid range of amps with it's preamp and output tubes - and it can be turned down to house levels with no loss of tone.

• Members

While i've never played a Peavey Windsor Studio, and this seems very subjective... my personal choice would be the Vox AC15 from your list. Outside of your list, with your situation, I would probably get a Fender hot rod deluxe/deville and a somewhat cheap used power brake/hot plate. But that's just me, and i'm probably crazy. Plus, your wife is gone! It's your duty to get a LOUD amp and play until your ears can't take it anymore :).

• Members

You'll be faced with the old problem of not being able to hear the true sound of a tube amp at house levels.

Yeah, but they still sound better than SS amps. Warmer at least. Although, I played a bunch of little 8" speaker amps yesterday. They were not too bad. They sounded better than I thought they would.

• Members

Another amp to consider would be the Fender Princeton, it costs a bit more than most of the amps on your list, but you will be able to get tube amp breakup at lower volume levels than say the DRRI. I would also note that if you match it with the right OD pedal, a good tube amp can get good OD sounds at very reasonable volume levels.

• Members

Smaller:

Fender champion

Epiphone valve junior combo

Blackheart little giant combo

Larger:

Blackheart little giant half stack

Epiphone valve junior half stack

Fender blues junior

Blackheart handsome devil combo

But 1x12 MIGHT be too big, depending where you live and what kind of paint you use. ;)

• Members

I'd go with a Peavey Classic 30.

They can get loud, but they do have a volume knob, so they don't have to be loud.

Yeah, they sound better when they are moving some air, but that's true of damn near any amp.

Plus, they are usually pretty cheap used, they're reliable as hell, and they can get loud enough to gig with if you want to.

• Members

Yeah, but they still sound better than SS amps. Warmer at least. Although, I played a bunch of little 8" speaker amps yesterday. They were not too bad. They sounded better than I thought they would.

I would agree with that statement, although the new generation hybrid amps totally blow away pretty much every SS amp that I can think of and seem to me to aimed at a particular market - the home player.

The Fender SCXD in particular sounds very much like an all tube amp, which is hardly surprising given that it has a preamp and power tubes. The technology that allows this is very clever and it's no wonder that the SCXD sells so well.

Once you try it out, it simply beats the competition at it's price range - and above - in the house volume level stakes. I'm talking SS, hybrid and all tube amps here.

It's important to keep that in mind. The OP doesn't play live and will be using the amp in an 8x10 room - with no effects. An all tube amp will be very limited in that situation.

• Members

Add the Kustom Defender and Coupe 36 to your list of things to try. The Coupe 36 is awesome and you can get some great crunchy tones at low volumes with the independent master volumes on each channel.

I voted for the Blues Jr - the tweed NOS w/ the Jensen speaker is worth it.

• Members

...although the new generation hybrid amps totally blow away pretty much every SS amp that I can think of and seem to me to aimed at a particular market - the home player.

I would have to agree with that, but there is a difference when using a tube power amp and a ss power amp in the hybrids. They sound better than SS, but not as good as even low volume Tube. So Tube>Hybrid>SS. IMHO anyway. Though some really like SS. who am I to argue.

I only play at home, basement, and I use a Classic 30 at low volumes with pedals. Sounds good. When I can krank it up, sounds better. I was running a XTL through the fx loop, but just sold it. Don't know my next move yet.

• Members

If you're only going to be playing in an 8x10 room 15 watts in going to be pretty loud, if you're looking to get the natural overdrive from the tubes. I have an Epi VJ (5watts) that I use for the home and it's pretty damn loud. For real tube tone in a bedroom setting, I'd look at a Fender Champ. I voted other.

• Members

One thing to remember about the SCXD is that it uses 2 6v6 power tubes for output. It's the preamp tube that is split for the SS effects.

This creates a very different sound (far more tube amp like) when compared to other hybrids like the AD30VT, which only has 1 dual triode preamp tube - which is split for SS effects and normal preamp tube operations.

I apologise for going about the SCXD but it's seriously well ahead of the game when compared to other amps (including all tube amps) in it's range - for house volume levels.

That's the important criteria that the OP is bound to here - house volume level.

Archived