Home Depot Declares Barbecue Season Over

MikeRivers

• Members

Anyone else here use hardwood? Picked up a quarter cord of red oak firewood last year. Used it up real fast. Won't go back to charcoal. Dunno why, it's just more fun.

Oh, and I agree with Phil. Barbequeing in Southern California can be real rough in the winters. Why I remember doing a tri-tip during the great New Year's Eve storm of 2005. Almost had to use an umbrella...

• Members

I use a lot of live oak that I cut off our property. I trim the trees and let the wood dry out for about a year, then cut it up into small chunks.

I also buy pecan chunks, especially for actual BBQ (cooking at least 1.5hr on up to 10hrs- as opposed to grilling). Can't beat pecan in my book for flavor. But mixing a couple of wood types is the best way to go.

I do buy charcoal, but mostly for a firestarter to get the wood going. Lots of nasty stuff in charcoal, and the better brands are expensive. Especially compared to the free stuff I cut myself!

My favorite time to BBQ is fall/winter. Too bloody hot in the summer here to be nearly as enjoyable - but I actually cook outside all year round.

Favorite item to smoke - ribs and sausage. So evil, so good.

nat whilk ii

• Members

I have trouble with the hardwood, unfortunately. It throws too many sparks off the balcony (I'm on the 4th floor with a pretty small balcony, and a tree pretty close by).

When I've used on the ground, I love it. That stuff burns HOT.

I find that the briquets burn longer, but that's the only advantage...

• Members

Yeah, hardwood isn't for the backyard impaired. Gotta throw those waterlogged chunks on top of the briquets, tho, it's a good thing.

I think the other plus of hard wood is that I get some (okay, a little) exercise splitting kindling. Makes me feel almost hearty, in my own sad suburbanite way.

• Members

Something about BBQing in the winter on a charcoal grill slowly smoking ribs while the football game is on, the scent of hickory is in the air... the anticipation of a delicious meal...

EB

PS- Yes, we have a gas grill as well hooked up to the house line and its convenient but nothing beats charcoal.

• CMS Author

Maybe all is not lost. Today I asked someone else in the store about the charcoal and he said that they definitely hadn't discontinued it, that they had sold out and it was on order, but the order was late coming.

The one who told me that it was out of season was a grumpy old white guy. The one who told me there would be more coming was a young hip looking black guy. Stereotypes aside, the younger guy actually seemed interested in helping me.

See related discussion about working at Guitar Center. ;)

• Members

What do they know about BBQ in North Carolina? They douse their pigs with vinegar there.

True. I'm starting to like it though. I like the combo of the vinegar and BBQ sauce. Sometimes I don't even put on the sauce. :eek:

Me eating Carolina BBQ and drinking a brew -> :snax:

• Members

i have lived in NC for 15 years of my life in total off and on and never had a pig doused in vinegar here. you could add it on if you desired... but i make mine doused in brown ale in a slo-cooker, little bit of brown sugar. maybe some terryaki. yum. but almost any establishment here its just slo cooked meat.

dont get me started on this place called 12 bones here. its crowded every single day with a line out the door. only open till 4 so you have to get take out early for dinners at home. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

• Members

My yearly Superbowl party barbeque recipe:

Call up one of my friends who are obsessed with getting as many free turkeys during the Thanksgiving shopping month as possible. Trading something for the turkey.

Thaw it out real good.

Wake up early. Make a fire. Put turkey in BBQ. Sit in the back yard with guitar, coffee, brandy. Wish I was single for a day (just for the purposes of cash crop consumption).

Five hours later. Take turkey out of BBQ. Shred.

Watch game. Eat turkey sammiches with choice of a) mole or b) sauce made with vinegar/brown sugar/red hot chilis (I'm from Jersey but my brother visited North Carolina once).

Leftovers: turkey mole enchiladas.

I can't talk recording levels and mastering techique so good but I likes my food and my fire...

• CMS Author

And now it's Trader Joe's. They have a decent price on lump charcoal, but today I noticed that there wasn't any in its usual place. I asked, the manager looked at her computer, and said "It says 'out for the season'."

Well, I'm off to buy some Hawaiian shirts. ;)

• Members

i have lived in NC for 15 years of my life in total off and on and never had a pig doused in vinegar here. you could add it on if you desired...

Maybe it's an eastern NC thing? You're in Asheville right?

• Members

I had some vegetarian babyback ribs this summer which already come pre-cooked, you just have to nuke 'em. They were pretty convincing but the sauce was a bit too sugary for me so they'll just be an occasional guilty pleasure.

Steve

Archived