EQ Magazine - Is it safe to read yet?

Roy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

One complaint I have about most recording mags that i have (and I posted this at Tape op's forum as well) would be to have more photos of the gear and work spaces in the interviews, and less pics of the people themselves. I don't really need multiple glamor/tortured artist shots, or pics of the artist with their dog or sitting in their backyard.

• Members

I'm liking what EQ is doing lately, but Tape Op still has everyone's number IMO.

not everyones... i count as at least one, which negates EVERYone. i mean its fine for a free rag, but i wouldnt pay for it. typically in an issue, i like one interview. the gear reviews kinda blow. the letters in the front are just stupid. i dunno. like i said, i cant put my finger on the pretention there but i notice it.

• CMS Author

One complaint I have about most recording mags that i have (and I posted this at Tape op's forum as well) would be to have more photos of the gear and work spaces in the interviews, and less pics of the people themselves.

I remember reading one of Larry Crane's editorials in Tape Op in which he addressed this. He wrote that photos of gear are passe unless it's really an unusual piece. His point is that the people are more important than the gear. Everyone knows what a mixer or a rack of compressors looks like. He said to send him a picture of yourself with your cat for an article.

I think that historic photos are interesting - a picture of a session from 30 years ago that shows what someone we know today looked like back then, or the mic setup that they used. But who needs another photo of an engineer in front of a ProTools system?

• Members

Turns out that what they really wanted for the web was like footnotes or sidebars to the article (kind of like mini articles in themselves), with statements in the article like "for further details, see www.****" wherever there was a further explanation on the web page.

I don't think I'd enjoy reading a magazine article that way. I'd be sittin' on the can reading the magazine, then have to go to the computer to read the details. I'd rather read the print article all the way through, then, if that got my interest up, I could read the detailed version on the web. If the print article told me all I wanted to know about the product, I'd skip the web site.

Fully agreed!

• Members

It looks like it's produced at home on an old 286 computer.

That's how it's supposed to look. Fun-kay. Dig? :)

And, I may add, Tape Op is indeed laid out by hand by the publisher himself. His computer is not a 286. In between laying out the magazine, he goes on surf trips and records bands in his studio. He's a cool guy. You'd like him.

• Members

In the Oct. '07 issue of EQ, craig introduced the idea of phrase by phrase normalization. That's a very great idea, and I was thankful to read it.

If you want to see an opposing viewpoint by some professional engineers about how stupid I am and how I am personally responsible for the decline of Western civilization, here's a link:

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/273556/0/?srch=normalization#msg_273556

It all started because the guy complaining about the article didn't know what normalization is, and didn't know the musical meaning of "phrase." :blah:

I do think that in a perfect world, people would read articles before commenting on them...EQ had a cover a couple years back called "The Mastering Myth" and the mastering engineers on Glenn Meadows' forum went absolutely ballistic. If they'd read the article, they would have realized that I was talking about TWO myths: The one that you need a professional mastering engineer, and the one that you can master your own stuff at home. The article then went on to explain when one or the other was appropriate, and the pitfalls involved. All in a day's work :)

BTW I like Tape Op too, reminds me of my days doing Polyphony. I know Larry and John and always enjoy running into them at trade shows. Lots of people tell me they subscribed to EQ and Tape Op and dropped the other recording mags, so we don't really feel "competitive"...more "complementary."

• Members

Lots of people tell me they subscribed to EQ and Tape Op and dropped the other recording mags, so we don't really feel "competitive"...more "complementary."

Mix magazine is pretty crappy now. If Tape Op was NBC, and EQ was CBS, Mix would be the WB.

Archived