Can you read music? Important or not, what say you?

rasputin1963

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There are a bunch of similar devices at the House On The Rock in Wisconsin. One I remember was a pneumatic string quartet. Pretty cool toy!

Their are some amazing pieces there.......

House-on-the-Rock-Spring-Green-WI-6.jpg

House-on-the-Rock-Spring-Green-WI-7.jpg

Originally designed to house a collection of basically anything, the House on the Rock in Deer Shelter Rock, Wisconsin first opened in 1959. The house contains fascinating exhibits such as a re-creation of an early twentieth century American Town and a 200 foot model of a sea monster. Now this doesn

• Members

I also want to add is that in all this discussion of reading music, what's hilarious to me is that in my experience that I've had with playing with hundreds of musicians over the years, the ones who read music have been more noticeably more likely to play experimental music, improvise, veer away from standard Western scales, explore different textures, and muck about with international instruments!!!!!!!!!!

Yes. And coming from someone that reads well, the whole, :mad: "Hey, That ain't all the music on there! " :mad: take is funny too. As If.

I read your words, but I get little in the way of manner, tone, volume, etc. Not much of things that come from being there, iow. How much is missing from the text of a Shakespeare play, that intuition, coaching, research must try to make up for? Same with notation. Every correlation I've mulled over between written language and written music works for me. But I suppose that's because reading music isn't any harder than reading your posts, for me.

So, it usually takes a dictatorial, controlling :rolleyes: teacher along the way to show that generally speaking, there's a way to play Bach, and it isn't the way to play Liszt, or Rachmaninoff. Because style is something that notation doesn't convey well. That's the same teacher that gave an assignment to learn a Clementi sonatina, and doesn't want to hear what you made up after school yesterday, btw.

• Members

i know people that can read music like i can read, run, spot, run.

and almost all can't get off the page to do something non scripted.

That's not hard to believe. It's a small percentage of people that are truly musical and can do something unscripted, whether they can read or not.

I used to have parties from time to time, attended by a lot of orchestra players. Always some colleagues from the violin section that wanted to plug in my electric let it all hang out. Most of the time, it wasn't pretty at all! I had no qualms at all with tearing it away from some of them.

But there are those that can do it all too. Someone that springs to mind is Kofi Burbridge. The keyboard/flute player in the Derek Trucks Band is an old friend/schoolmate of mine. He's one of the most down to earth, in touch with the spirit people I've ever met. He was MC Hammer's keyboard player for a while. He could just as easily be playing first flute in the Atlanta Symphony.

Archived