Describe your first instrument

Lee Knight

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I played as much as my mother would allow on her upright grand. She later gave the piano to me (hand carved mahogany) when I got married and moved out. Never had time to play while married to the first husband, and when divorced, I relocated the piano to a friends home that burned to the ground in all portions of the home except the great room where the piano was. The piano took on smoke damage and had scars from the extinguisher discharges. I loved that piano... It looked much like the one below.

Scan285.jpg

My next instrument was OH MY GOD horrible... a Casio tin can that did not have standard sized keys and was not touch sensitive in any way. It was far short of 88 keys and I'd be lucky to say it had 66 keys.... IIRC, it was less than 66 keys and mononphonic. It was a poor excuse for what anyone could call an instrument. Had I formed my opinion of creating music on that POS, I would never have pursued the interest anything beyond that.

Fortunately, I knew the beauty of the tones found in both the upright grand my mom had and also the Baldwin Grand that I used to play some on at the church.

After the Casio, I didn't want to come up with the short end of the stick again by buying anything less than FUNCTIONAL. The music stores were really pushing the DX7, but I didn't like the fact that it was not touch sensitive and it didn't have weighted keys. It was too much like the PLASTIC Casio toy that had scarred me from before. I wanted complete control over dampering and sustain pedals. That wasn't to be found on a synth. I didn't have room in my apartment for a Grand Piano like I wanted to get, so I bought a Yamaha Clavinova.

• Members

My first instrument was a Clarke's tin whistle given to me to cheer me up while I was recovering from measles aged about 5. I could never play it. My first guitar was a hand-me-down from my brother - a nylon strung article he had bought in a local toy shop for

• Members

Recorder, piano lessons and 8 years of trumpet, but my first real instrument was a burgandy colored Hondo II Les Paul copy with Dimarzio Super Distortion pups and a Sears solid state amp.

It was a beautiful first rig.

I was 16 and spent my life savings of $200 and my Dad was pissed, but it was the best thing I've ever done.

• Members

The very first one i paid for was a Kingston Acoustic Guitar

Wow paid five dollars for it at an auction.Before that i was playing off my dads

he had a Martin from when he was a kid and a couple fenders electric and a silvertone amp twin 12`s still have the amp in the closet. The guitars dad left to his only brother,That`s life but i get them back when he passes away .Sad thought not that i want him to kick the bucket.i can go and pick them up from him anytime ,he can`t play anymore and that`s sad to think of ..

• Members

First instrument: French Besson trumpet, $50 in a pawn shop.

First guitar: Japanese Estrella classical, $20 in same pawn shop.

First bass: St. George short-scale. $50 new.

First electric guitar: St. George solid-body. Traded a 12" Jensen for it.

First keyboard: Wurlitzer spinet (acoustic) with roll-top keyboard cover.

• Members

Well, trombone in 6th grade but then I discovered the guitar...

After taking lessons with a crappy acoustic, my parents bought me a Yamaha FG-... acoustic for Christmas. I had never heard an acoustic chime like that before.

My first electric was a cheap Tele copy with a Gibson ga-19rvt Falcon

ga-19rvt_falcon__i-4_B.JPG

I used to take the monitor out of the amp into a Dual Showman...

You know how many times I've regretted selling old gear?

Archived