Epiphone vs. Epiphake

ArKay

• Members

The diamond inlay is wider and shorter on the fake, it nearly touches the tuners and on a current genuine one there's some space left left and right. I think they copied the Korean G-400 which had a bigger inlay, Epiphone must have modified it along with the headstock shape when production was moved to China (probably to throw off the counterfeiters a little)?

Left - MIK Epiphone / Middle - Counterfeit / Right - Epiphone China

epiheadstocks.jpg

With the old Korean model it's getting even more confusing, oh well
:lol:

Ah. Those pics show the differences a lot better.

I see also that the top scroll is rounder and less angled on the fake and that the Epiphone inlay looks smaller and lower than on the MIK although . . . this appears to be true of the legit MIC as well.

Looks like the legit MIC has the smaller diamond as well but it sits a bit higher than on the fake.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know, they are half the price and the difference is more money than my wife makes at her dad's office. Epiphone guitars are as expensive as in the US here in China. But are those sold to deceive the local, Chinese buyers? Are they sold as counterfeit or genuine?

I saw some Zakk Wylde Epiphones on eBay in Germany which were advertised as coming directly out of the Qingdao factory, even the seller location said Qingdao. With around $100 shipping and customs they would still be cheaper than buying one locally, but I am not so sure that they are really genuine anymore since that would mean that they could be had in China for a lot less money as well
:idk:

So they do fake Xavieres.

Fake epiphone has always been a hot topic in China, everyday there are people got cheated: paid for price of real and got fake guitar. You are a rational thinker and I don't think they could fool you. I saw those {censored} everyday, how pathetic that I got used to it.

• Members

So they do fake Xavieres.

Fake epiphone has always been a hot topic in China, everyday there are people got cheated: paid for price of real and got fake guitar. You are a rational thinker and I don't think they could fool you. I saw those {censored} everyday, how pathetic that I got used to it.

I know what to look for with some brands so I am more careful now and I can only advice people to do the same. There are not only Gibson, Fender and Ibanez fakes out there these days :cop:

The ripping off part is the worst, especially in an economy where people have to work very hard for their money. You not only get a product which isn't genuine, but a guitar which just isn't as good as the original. Fake tuners, small strap buttons, fake pickups, and I don't even want to see the electronics they stick in there. :mad:

• Members

These Chinese copies are getting out of hand.

Seems like they only way for a non expert not getting ripped off will be to by only from respected dealers or directly from the makers.

Forget about the idea of buying from eBay and Craiglist.

• Members

These Chinese copies are getting out of hand.

Seems like they only way for a non expert not getting ripped off will be to by only from respected dealers or directly from the makers.

Forget about the idea of buying from eBay and Craiglist.

yep... that seems to be where it's heading

• Members

yep... that seems to be where it's heading

If you think about it, without eBay you may not have this explosion of Chinese fakes.

The worst thing about this... in 5 years when tons of these fakes are floating around the used market.

• Members

Yup, all started out on eBay. I remember reporting about a hundred auctions per week in Europe, eBay UK seemed to have more counterfeit auctions from China than genuine ones at one point. :lol:

Then auctions slowly disappeared and instead they put up ads with a link to their website (musoland & co) and asked people not to bid, but to go to those sites instead and order from there.

• Members

They really steal from each other a lot (or used to before they started adding the watermarks) :lol: Not sure, but I think the software adds them when you upload pics. My wife's pictures have them, too.

Archived