Epiphone Les Paul Custom ???????

streetknight

• Members

Are these decent guitars?

What would be a good price for a used one? I bought an amp today and the guy had a gorgeous Epi LP Custom that was mint. I tested the amp with it, it played pretty damn good.

It was some kind of burst finish with Gold Hardware.

He was asking $425 with a Hardshell case. Seemed like a good deal to me but I don't need it. Thought maybe someone here might if it's a good deal.

• Members

They sell for 650 new, there's tons used out.

They're technically a reissue of the '59 les paul custom, in that it's ALL mahogany, no maple cap.

Problem is, epiphone pickups, pots, and caps seem to make the already rather dark guitar a little moreso than it should be.

A set of GFS vintage '59s or fat pats, and a couple of push-pull pots, jimmy page wiring, even put on a bigsby for under $650 total, you get a very flexible, versatile, beautiful looking, sounding and playing guitar and a hardshell case.

Stock?

It's not too bad at all. Just kinda dark sounding. If you have a fender amp, then it'll even out okay. Kind of muddy on cleans, at times. But for 400 with a case? Jump on that dealie.

• Members

I had one - I think I paid around $350 for it w/o case. I eventually swapped out the pickups for a set of Gibson 490r/498t, which I liked even less than the originals. It was an exceptionally good playing guitar, however it was heavy as hell. I've gone into Guitar Center and checked out a row of Epi Les Pauls, and the Customs in particular, and they vary incredibly in weight from one to another. But the one I had was about the heaviest one I've felt and it took a lot of the enjoyment out of playing it for me - although some people tend to like the heavier ones.

• Members

I like my Epi LP Custom 2 pickup Black Beauty a lot. Its not identical too the Gibson LPs Ive had but gets a real close vibe with a pickup swap and pro setup.

I got mine used for $350 with a semi hard case and spent another $100 on Duncans Sh-11/Jazz set.

• Members

I love my Alpine White Epi LP Custom. I replaced the Epi PU's with a Gibson 57 Classic Plus in the bridge position and a Gibson 57 Classic in the neck position. I play this one even more than my Gibson LP Standard.

Feb07042cr.jpg' alt='>'>

• Members

I also have a black epi LP custom. I've had mine for well over 15 years. IMO, it's much better quality than the current ones. I've had a couple of pickups in the bridge. A duncan lynch, a duncan distortion, and currently a duncan JB. The JB has been my favorite. I've left the neck pickup stock since I think it sounds fine.

Overall a great guitar. I honestly haven't been impressed with the new ones though.

• Members

Man, that white custom is gorgeous! I'm gassin' for one of those real bad... I have 2 Elitist LP customs and they are awesome guitars. The stock pickups sound great in all 3 positions... very versatile for a LP. I use mine as my #1 in a classic rock cover band and the only time I switch guitars is when I need a trem. I bought my first one 3 years ago brand new from MF for $800. Bought the second one used in mint condition a couple of weeks ago for $650. Best guitar you can buy for that kind of $$$.

Archived