OT: Anyone recommend a good vacuum cleaner?

Magpel

• Members

Sears' Kenmore Bagless uprights got an excellent review from Consumer Reports last year, so I bought one of those. It is a really nice vacuum - beltless drive, HEPA filter, hose attachments, and really pretty durable. My wife has a talent for, um...pushing appliances to their limits, shall we say? :D - and so far the Kenmore is still hanging tough. ;) It's a little more than your budget, but less than a Dyson - currently $296 at Sears.com, although you might check the store for a sale. (That's where I got ours.)

• CMS Author

Who cleans? Isn't it easier just to move?

I have a Eureka that I bought about 25 years ago (at the same store as I bought my first Audio-Technica mic, an AT-813) and it still works. But I only use it maybe three or four times a year. My shop vacuum gets a lot more use, even for cleaning the house.

• Members

I can't praise the Dyson enough, though it costs a little less than $400. I've never seen a vacuum cleaner do a better job of picking up fur from a rug and it also has a wand with attachments. I know the Orecks are good, but they're pretty pricey.

:thu: Plus+ 1000 on the Dyson! Spent the extra $$$ and got a DC15 for $350 last spring. Lite, cool design... and it never, EVER, looses suction. Best vaccum ever used or owned.

Kirby's are cool however there are disadvantages...

#1- They weight 9000lbs- all metal design means it's a workout to pick up and move.

#2- They sell "new' for $1000+... waaaay too much for any vaccum.

#3- Sales people are freaks! Well noted for 'bait and switch' scams.

Save yourself the pain and get a Dyson.

• Members

I think Hoover's are great...

Agreed. After almost 35 years, my old Hoover cannister finally secumbed. In the search for a new vac, and considering the prices for the 'best rated' models, I took the plunge and put in a central system. Best investment in a long time, and less expensive ($850 for everything including attachments and motor-driven head) than some of the portables. Wired it for 240 VAC, so it runs cool and cheap.

I know you're thinking of a traditional vac, but give the central vac some thought. My back thanks me everytime I do some house fluffing.

Best, Paul

• Members

Kirby's are cool however there are disadvantages...

#1- They weight 9000lbs- all metal design means it's a workout to pick up and move.

Moot point...they are self-propelled...and they're really not that heavy.

Especially to a working musician who will move around big speaker cabs and 88-key weighted boards. :poke:

#2- They sell "new' for $1000+... waaaay too much for any vaccum.

But they last forever...there are two Gen 3 Kirbys on eBay right now, and I bet they won't go over $350.

#3- Sales people are freaks! Well noted for 'bait and switch' scams.

That's why you buy used. I got my Generation 3 in 1991 from a Kirby repair shop, in Montgomery (which is still there). The repairman had replaced a broken handle, or something and the person never came to pick it up.

The vaccuum was only a couple of years old, and he let me have it for half price of a new one. Sixteen years later, it's still going strong.

He's got Kirby's in there from the 1950's that still work fine.

• Members

I got my Kirby for free when the company I worked for was undergoing a remodel. The thing was (I'm guessing) about 15 years old and had been heavily abused. They were throwing it out so I took it home to see if I could do anything with it. I ended up taking into a shop and having it rebuilt for around $50. That was in 1992. 15 years later it still works beautifully. Except for, perhaps, my Kitchen Aid mixer, the Kirby is definitely the most solidly built appliance I've ever owned.

Archived