Gibson Robot Guitar Review

Anderton

• Members

Yeah it is, but right now I think it's only available in Europe. In Europe the strat system is running 899.00 Euro or $1330.52

So that's why I've only been able to find it on German sites and one UK site.

Nix spreken ze deutsche.

Hben z fire bitte?

Do you want to have sex? (oh, sorry, that's English)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Are we all talking about the one in the SynthAxe booth in Jan 2006?

They introduced me to the guy who designed it but I forget his name.

He was German. Right? :confused:

I thought it was pretty cool.

...as keeping the guitar in tune in whatever tuning it's in, well, I guess I've just never had severe enough tuning problems to warrant an expensive automatic tuner. If I didn't have to tune, I'd never get to tell a joke.

Yea. But you don't count. You probably know how to play

• Members

Can you tell it, for example, to make the B string 10 cents sharp from where it would normally tune it?

It turns out you can do this when you create your own alternate tunings. The way the process works is you disengage the peg from the servo by pulling it, then tune the string(s) manually. When you tell the guitar that's the tuning you want, whatever the strings are tuned as will be remembered as an alternate tuning.

• CMS Author
Are we all talking about the one in the SynthAxe booth in Jan 2006?

Yes, that's the one. I guess the German connection is that SynthAxe is the US distributor for Magix (Sequioa, Samplitude, etc.) and RME, both German products.

But you don't count. You probably know how to play

• CMS Author

It turns out you can do this when you create your own alternate tunings. The way the process works is you disengage the peg from the servo by pulling it, then tune the string(s) manually. When you tell the guitar that's the tuning you want, whatever the strings are tuned as will be remembered as an alternate tuning.

That seems sensible. I like things that are able to learn how WE want to use them. I wish the GPS navigators I've been playing with this week were smart like that.

• Members

Doesn't jimmy page have some kind of automatic tuner like this that he endorses?

Jimmy Page has a Les Paul with the Transperformance automatic tuning system installed. It's much cooler than the Gibson Robot guitar one. When it tunes, it is dead on. Takes less than a second, so you can use it in real time in the middle of songs, or even compose based on changing chords via the tuning system (sounds kind of like a slide, but notes go both up and down).

Check out Dave Beegle from the band Fourth Estate for the first recordings ever done with a self-tuning guitar.

Microtones, no problem. It's memory will hold thousands of tunings, anything up or down 6 halfsteps from standard.

And, it was developed over a decade ago. Transperformance tried to market this to Gibson at the time, but was repeatedly turned down. Now Gibson has it's poor man's version of the real thing to sell to the masses. Blah...

http://transperformance.com/index2.htm

- Jasco

• Members

Jimmy Page has a Les Paul with the Transperformance automatic tuning system installed. It's much cooler than the Gibson Robot guitar one. When it tunes, it is dead on. Takes less than a second, so you can use it in real time in the middle of songs, or even compose based on changing chords via the tuning system (sounds kind of like a slide, but notes go both up and down).

Check out Dave Beegle from the band Fourth Estate for the first recordings ever done with a self-tuning guitar.

Microtones, no problem. It's memory will hold thousands of tunings, anything up or down 6 halfsteps from standard.

And, it was developed over a decade ago. Transperformance tried to market this to Gibson at the time, but was repeatedly turned down. Now Gibson has it's poor man's version of the real thing to sell to the masses. Blah...

- Jasco

Cool! thought so...

• Members

- Jasco

Are you saying that Tronical doesn't tune the guitar? If so, I find that a false statement.

Does the Transperformance product change the weight of the guitar? AFAIK yes.

Does the Transperformance product require altering the body for installation? AFAIK yes again.

Are they different, yes.

• Members

Are you saying that Tronical doesn't tune the guitar? If so, I find that a false statement.

No, I'm saying that the Transperformance is quicker and more accurate.

And more versatile.

And I'm getting kind of tired of all the hype I'm reading about the new Gibson guitar being the first automatic tuning guitar, when it is not.

• Members

No, I'm saying that the Transperformance is quicker and more accurate.

And more versatile.

And I'm getting kind of tired of all the hype I'm reading about the new Gibson guitar being the first automatic tuning guitar, when it is not.

Whoever gets the hype can have it, whoever was first can be first, I sure don't care. What I like is the fact that the technology is being developed, works, and is being marketed for numbskulls like me who find alternate tunings to be a genuine pain in the arse and really want something like this. I don't care if it's Gibson, Prs, or some obscure company, just as long as the guitar is of decent quality and the system is not invasive to the looks of the guitar. I don't know what is wrong with selling to the massess. I'm one of the masses.

• Members

I'll tell ya, I gig a lot and would have absolutely NO use for some gimmick like this. I do change tunings on occasion, and my TU-2 (along with my ears) works just fine for me. Looks like some expensive piece of gear a lawyer/guitarist would buy.....

I can see that this sort of thing is not for everybody, especially a purist. However, I don't understand the gimmick comment. What makes it a gimmick? I kind of get a feeling from the buzz on the internet that if someone has no use for a certain piece of technology, then it's a gimmick, but if they do, then it's an advancement. I don't know. It seems like a built in electronic tuner will prove to be a benefit over time, if indeed the tuning systems turn out to be reliable. Only time will tell.

Just looking around the house, I can find several gimmicks that have made my life easier. There's the electric toaster, the electric garage door opener, the coffee bean grinder, the electric can opener, and especially the tv remote control. Yes, I realize I can get up and change the channel just fine, but it sure is nice to just sit in my chair and hit a button.

I don't think the art of manual tuning is going to fall off the face of the earth. Calculators do not stop me from doing math in my head, but if I have a lot of computations, I'd just as soon have one as not.

"Looks like some expensive piece of gear a lawyer/guitarist would buy" Is price the main objection?

• Members

Robot guitar = tunes six strings simultaneously. Parallel processing.

Human = tunes one string at a time. Serial processing.

One man's gimmick is another man's time-saver.

Remind me to stop listening to music altogether when some genius invents robots that play the blues.........

• Members

Remind me to stop listening to music altogether when some genius invents robots that play the blues.........

There are already algorithmic programs that play the blues. They suck.

There's a big difference between automating the "housekeeping" that makes it possible to play music, and automating the music itself.

• Members

There's a big difference between automating the "housekeeping" that makes it possible to play music, and automating the music itself.

...and sometimes the imperfections of the "housekeeping" are the building blocks of the overall art itself.....

Newton's Third Law: "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction" --

Archived