Gibson SG Standard 1975. What's the difference form the modern?

separanets

• Members

I was offered a Gibson SG standard, 1975. Sunburst body. Stock pickups. New Dunlop frets. The price is twice as much as a used modern ebony SG standard. Or 25% higer than a stock SG standard. But I need to know how different is the 1975 SG standard from modern SG's. Is the price ok? What do you think?

thanks.

• Members

Those years in the mid 70's were real dogs. I'ld go with your other choices. The differences are Schaller bridge /block inlays/volute and if the pickups are the ones that were epoxied in the covers they were the worst sounding pickups Gibson ever made.

• Members

Those years in the mid 70's were real dogs. I'ld go with your other choices. The differences are Schaller bridge /block inlays/volute and if the pickups are the ones that were epoxied in the covers they were the worst sounding pickups Gibson ever made.

Does the same apply for Les Pauls from ca 1975?

• Members

I had a 75 standard and didn't like it at all. I attached a picture of me playing mine, to reference. Mine was really muddy and not very clear and even after many pickup changes it didn't really do much. It did an AWESOME mid overdrive type tone and under, but couldn't handle anything more than a tubescreamer type punch without just mudding up so out it went. I paid 1000 and sold it for about 900 with motorcity pickups in it. I used it on the distorted guitar (and solo) on the song "Walk On Water" at myspace.com/ameliarockband. You can see it almost sounds single coil-y. I loved this tone I got, but other than this everything else it did was crap. It could've been a dud, but would hate to see you spend more and get less of a guitar. I'd probably go with a new one...

Edit-Sorry for the live shots but this guitar was pre HCEG days... oh, and yes that's a scarf I'm wearing in the first pic :(

• Members

If youre not sure, don't jump.

As we all know...

The 70's were kinds bumpy for Gibby and the 80's were weird for Fender, so if you have to ask, you probably need some expert help. OTOH, I've seen some awsome SG's dating from the late 60's to about '72'.

I was recently fondling/playing a 68 that had some SERIOUS Mojo going on but after having just bought the EJ, I wasnt quite ready to bellyslam back into the pool. Plus, when I showed it to Donna, she gave me that "Are you completely out of your mind? You just spent $2000 on a guitar last week!" look and my dealer found something else to do.

Looking back, I think that I screwed up (I actually had the cash! Loll!!) but another one will come along. (Thats what I keep telling myself anyway... :rolleyes:)

Keep looking. there are some killer SGs out there and for some reason, I don't think that this is the riight axe.

• Members

I had a 75 standard and didn't like it at all. I attached a picture of me playing mine, to reference. Mine was really muddy and not very clear and even after many pickup changes it didn't really do much. It did an AWESOME mid overdrive type tone and under, but couldn't handle anything more than a tubescreamer type punch without just mudding up so out it went. I paid 1000 and sold it for about 900 with motorcity pickups in it. I used it on the distorted guitar (and solo) on the song "Walk On Water" at
myspace.com/ameliarockband
. You can see it almost sounds single coil-y. I loved this tone I got, but other than this everything else it did was crap. It could've been a dud, but would hate to see you spend more and get less of a guitar. I'd probably go with a new one...

Edit-Sorry for the live shots but this guitar was pre HCEG days... oh, and yes that's a scarf I'm wearing in the first pic
:(

Very good but solo takes somewhat a false walk. Ok, I think I won't get that SG for that price and switch to the PRS Custom 24 (for the same price from the same seller, though compared to that Gibby the sound was a bit sterile)

• Members

generally those weren't good years for Gibson, but you're not talking statistics but a single specimen - only way to know is to check it out - thoroughly! It might be good.

Generally speaking the "vintage" prices for 70s Gibsons and Fender are ludicrou

• Members

I think mine was a '73 or 74, and had the same finish as the on in RoyBrooks' photo. I don't recall if the bridge was a Schaller or not (I haven't had the guitar since 1991). The pickups weren't stock, and from what I remember from the covers' appearance (they were nickel plated), they may have been from the 60s or possibly (on a longshot) PAFs. It sounded great, but the neck/body joint was so wimpy, that the thing wouldn't stay in tune for more than 2 or 3 songs. Grrrr! So it went bye bye after only about 4 or 5 months of ownership. It was too bad. It was a nice playing guitar, but I couldn't be retuning all of the time during sets.

• Members

Many here are right about the Norlin year Gibsons as being spotty. Definitely considered the dark period for Gibson, but they are still some fine instruments from then (my '72 LP Deluxe is great, I've been offer Historics in trade of it).

I would be really iffy about buying any Gibson without a chance to pay it. All the necks through the early '90's were hand-shaped and vary greatly, some speak to me, some don't...but appeal to others. So, it really helps to sit down and find the ergonomics that are best for you.

The fact that someone played it enough to have it refretted is encouraging, its usually a sign of a guitar being a steady enough workhorse to reinvest in.

One thing is certain, that '75 SG will appreciate faster than any modern SG, at least in the short term.

• Members

Very good but solo takes somewhat a false walk. Ok, I think I won't get that SG for that price and switch to the PRS Custom 24 (for the same price from the same seller, though compared to that Gibby the sound was a bit sterile)

Not sure what you mean by false walk... should I be offended? ;) I'd probably agree with you with the PRS.

Archived