Highway One Strat vs American Standard Strat

2pacHendrix

• Members

Recently i have been obsessing over fender strats and I don't know why:mad:!! I went this weekend with the intent of buying a highway one strat so i could post it here and get teh boobies, but i couldn't find any!Anyway i went to a few local shops and most of them didn't have anything, so i went to guitar center and all they had was a 2001/2002 American Standard. I did not like the color at all nor did i like the maple fretboard. But i tried it out and it sounds incredable. Most of the highway one strats at guitar center were S/S/H, which i dont want. Anyway, after talking to the employee at GC I found a Highway 1 strat and asked what the difference was, he mostly said the pickups/finish/wood etc... and i noticed that the Highway one Strat's neck is not as smooth as the American Standards. And the sound:bor:.

But I just want to know which do you guys prefer? Highway 1 or American Standard and why?

Also, I could get that American Standard for $800 or the Highway One for $50 less.

P.S. sorry for my spelling/grammar(:cop:), I am very tired and i haven't been on the computer in several days. And thank you.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For that kind of money I would keep looking untill you find something you really like. In the used market you could snag a pretty nice strat for that.

The H1s have very hot overwound picks that are not for everyone.

• Members

Recently i have been obsessing over fender strats and I don't know why:mad:!! I went this weekend with the intent of buying a highway one strat so i could post it here and get teh boobies, but i couldn't find any!Anyway i went to a few local shops and most of them didn't have anything, so i went to guitar center and all they had was a 2001/2002 American Standard. I did not like the color at all nor did i like the maple fretboard. But i tried it out and it sounds incredable. Most of the highway one strats at guitar center were S/S/H, which i dont want. Anyway, after talking to the employee at GC I found a Highway 1 strat and asked what the difference was, he mostly said the pickups/finish/wood etc... and i noticed that the Highway one Strat's neck is not as smooth as the American Standards. And the sound:bor:.

But I just want to know which do you guys prefer? Highway 1 or American Standard and why?

Also, I could get that American Standard for $800 or the Highway One for $50 less.

P.S. sorry for my spelling/grammar(
:cop:
), I am very tired and i haven't been on the computer in several days. And thank you.

Or just spend $800 used and get a like new American Deluxe. Problem completely and 100% solved.

• Members

IMO the highway 1 kicks the american standards ass. I got mine for 300 less than what I woulda paid for an american standard. The nitro finish has a nicer feel and better resonance, the jumbo frets are a joy to play, the greasebucket circuit is useful, and I like the hotter pickups more.

But these are personal preferences. Only you will know which one you like more.

• Members

stop being "pound wise and penny foolish" about $50 and get the American Standard.

:thu: Exactly

The 2008 American Standard is one the nicest guitars I have played.

Heres mine. :love:

newone.jpg

I especially love the new necks with the satin back and lacquer board. Majik to play.

• Members

I have a hwy 1 (hss). It's a great playing guitar and sounds even better.

I tried some '08 AmStd strats and was underwhelmed... but I'm sure I could get used to one.
:)

Well I suppose the main difference for me is the neck. I am not a fan of jumbo frets on the highway ones for starters and as said I really like the new finishes on the 08 Standard necks.

Pickups really aren't an issue for me as they are easy as shit to change out to somthing you specifically like.

• Members

Well I suppose the main difference for me is the neck. I am not a fan of jumbo frets on the highway ones for starters and as said I really like the new finishes on the 08 Standard necks.

Pickups really aren't an issue for me as they are easy as shit to change out to somthing you specifically like.

I like big frets, but I know some people don't.

Everyones different - that's a good thing. I was GAS'ing for an '08 for a while actually, but ended up with a SRV sig model. :thu:

• Members

I like big frets, but I know some people don't.

Everyones different - that's a good thing. I was GAS'ing for an '08 for a while actually, but ended up with a SRV sig model.
:thu:

Exactly :thu: I think its a good thing that the Highway came out with the Jumbos, at least it give people a choice.

• Members

I don't know where you are located, but $800 seems high to me for a used MIA strat. I picked up a new 2008/B stock strat from MF for less than that.

Offer them $600 and work up from that point.

Good Luck

yeah i was going to try and haggle it down, but i wasn't 100% sure if i wanted it, plus labor day is coming up in a week or two so GC should have some sort of sale:o. Another thing i absolutly LOVE about the H1's are how big the headstock is, yeah i just think it is more showy than those smaller ones:p.

• Members

:eek:
How dare you call the headstock ugly!

I apologize! Just not my thing. I DO like the nitro finish and the hotter pickups, and it might give me reason to have a badass Warmoth neck made for it.

I'm really gassin' for a new Fender! :)

• Members

I have a '03 Hwy 1 HSS, that i actually like a little better than my

'00 american standard.

I have been thinking about taking the pups/guard out of the american standard and sell the guitar with possibly a GFS prewired guard or something.

• Members

I have a 2004 HWY 1 that I put Kinman Woodstock 2 pickups in and you can go from Gilmore to Brad Pasley tone in the flick of the switch. It makes me want to play more than ever.

:idea:

I got an idea from that, I could buy a squier or MIM or something cheap and put good pickups in it... right. Or not, because my friend told me he likes the feel of the guitar and the material (not plywood or plastic) better than tone.

• Members

do the HIghway 1's have S-1 switching?

No, and neither do the new American Standards. The only current model that has the S-1 system is the American Deluxe.

Also, I read that the Highway Ones have been discontinued. But...MF still has them in stock... It'd be stupid for Fender to discontinue them. They are amazing guitars!

The pups are a bit beefier than standard single coils. I personally like them. I especially like the middle and neck pups.

Try them both, see which one feels the best.

• Members

No, and neither do the new American Standards. The only current model that has the S-1 system is the American Deluxe.

Also, I read that the Highway Ones have been discontinued. But...MF still has them in stock... It'd be stupid for Fender to discontinue them. They are amazing guitars!

The pups are a bit beefier than standard single coils. I personally like them. I especially like the middle and neck pups.

Try them both, see which one feels the best.

I can why they would want to make that move. They probably didn't expect to lose too many American Standard Strat sales, but they possibly may have.

Archived