Highway One Strat vs American Standard Strat

2pacHendrix

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I fail to see where the Standard is a better Strat when you REALLY THINK about the price's. They are about the same. You pay $899. for a AS.

The HWY-1 you pay $749. add a OHSC to that and what do you have?

I don't like the Delta Tone system NEVER did.

Geasebucket is the Ticket.

I prefer Nitro over Poly.

Large headstock equals better sustain.

Pick-Ups in the HWY-1 are the bomb. Best Rock and Roll Blues-Rock pup Fender is building today. I like the Texas Speacial also and always have. But the new HWY-1s pups are right up their!

BUT BOTH are very very well built Strats from what Fender has Been letting by at Quality Control!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members

Get the Am Standard if you want a more traditional strat sound. It's a very lively guitar, and I think will probably stand the test of time better than the HWY1. The latter has been adjusted a bit, it seems, to make the pickups a bit darker and to handle overdrive a bit better. But in my opinion, it tends to lose out a bit on the chimey clean tones. With the right amp settings, you can still get the Standard to sound very cool indeed on a dirty setting.

• Members

for what it's worth, i played 10-12 strats before buying mine, including various versions of the Amer. Series (this was about a year and a half ago), and a few highway 1s. It came down to 3, one of which was a HW1.

I ended up with a 2005 American Series that stood out from the rest and had more of the "it/mojo/speaks-to-me" thing going on that all the rest. since buying it it has become a hugely inspirational instrument, and i have let a couple others go because i just didn't play them.

Thank said, the HW1 kicks ass, and if I were to grab a second strat, I'd look around for a good one of these, no problem.

each strat i played felt and sounded different.

play a bunch and see which one talks to you.

• Members

wagdog, may i ask what the SRV cost ya? i had one offered to me today, would like to see what they're running at right now.

you can PM me or tell me to piss off if you'd rather not say. it's cool.

No bother 'tall... I got it for $1325, new, from a store.

• Members

I ended up with a 2005 American Series that stood out from the rest and had more of the "it/mojo/speaks-to-me" thing going on that all the rest. since buying it it has become a hugely inspirational instrument, and i have let a couple others go because i just didn't play them.

each strat i played felt and sounded different.

play a bunch and see which one talks to you.

That sums it up right there. When I bought my hwy 1, it felt right in my hands immediately. The guy who was with me when I tried it out said he could see it in my face as soon as I started playing it.

Get the one that sounds, feels and plays right for YOU.

• Members

I have been thinking about taking the pups/guard out of the american standard and sell the guitar with possibly a GFS prewired guard or something.

If you're going to do that, you'd probably be better parting the guitar out for selling purposes.... seems to me that GFS stuff, while great, isn't well enough known that you'd be able to sell it as "upgraded." I'm assuming of course that you'd be honest about switching out the plate when it comes to selling. ;)

I fail to see where the Standard is a better Strat when you REALLY THINK about the price's. They are about the same. You pay $899. for a AS.

Pick-Ups in the HWY-1 are the bomb. Best Rock and Roll Blues-Rock pup Fender is building today. I like the Texas Speacial also and always have. But the new HWY-1s pups are right up their!

BUT BOTH are very very well built Strats from what Fender has Been letting by at Quality Control!!!!!!!!!!!!

What he said!!

• Members

If you're going to do that, you'd probably be better parting the guitar out for selling purposes.... seems to me that GFS stuff, while great, isn't well enough known that you'd be able to sell it as "upgraded." I'm assuming of course that you'd be honest about switching out the plate when it comes to selling.
;)

Yeah, i have been thinking of doin that because i love the pickups but am not crazy about the guitar anymore. I would list it as such :). I couldn't honestly be that dishonest :thu:.

I figure i could still probably get around $500 with GFS pups in it..maybe

• Members

I agree ,I got 5 strats ,Ive got the newer upgraded version ,I dont think they used Nitro on the neck only on the body

• Members

Also, I could get that American Standard for $800 or the Highway One for $50 less.

You should be able to find a used Highway One for a lot less than $750. I paid less than $400 for mine, although I may be the exception rather than the rule. If you can find a Highway One for around $500 or less, it becomes an easy choice between the two.

• Members

While I love my HWY1, if the money was close, I'd buy the American Standard. Why? The tuners seem better (not a ton better, but a bit better), and I personally like the finish on the new Am. Standards better than the satin nitro finish. I can easily compare the two since I have an Am. Standard Tele. Plus, my HWY does not exactly have that old-school Stratty sound. I can coax it out of it if I get my settings right, but these pickups are down right beefy!

I love mine, but make sure you play both before you decide! Plus, due to GC blowing them out at $388 last year, the Am. Standards hold their value better. If you're going used, you could pick up a used HWY1 for a WHOLE lot less money!

...and for the record... I LOVE the big headstock on mine! :thu:

• Members

I used to hatehatehate that 70s headstock ... until I bought a Highway One with the big headstock. I've reconciled.

IMG_0298_613x817.jpg

I have that same ax. I changed out the trim for black, and put in some GFS Vintage wound Single Coils. The stock humbucker in ax, whatever it is, is awesome.

Oh yeah, mine auto-splits the humbucker in position 4 and the 1'st tone is a master tone, the bottom tone is a blender pot.

Sweet guitar. Plays great, sounds great. I paid like $555 new for mine last year.

6469041b43e36dc96a3cc539f6d38baf5g.jpg

• Members

:bor: everyone who has a highway 1 will try to convince you its better....

just play a few and buy what you like... if youre just getting a highway 1 because you think youre saving money, then dont waste your time, youre eventually just gonna sell it and buy something higher end like a standard, or deluxe... etc

Archived