Which overdive pedal do you prefer? TS9 Reissue, Route 66, or Jekyl and Hyde pedal?

elsupermanny14

• Members

I have the TS9 Reissue currently, but I think I want to sell it and buy a Route 66. I do have to admit that I'm interested by the Jekyl and Hyde though. I don't have the need for two overdrive pedals. I get my overdrive from the amp and then add to it or drive it harder with the use of an overdrive pedal. There is no room for two.

So which one of the pedals would you guys choose? TS9? Route 66? Jekyl and Hyde?

Pros? Cons? Advice...

• Members

the route 66 is just a tubescreamer copy and a half decent compressor in one box..... the jeckyl and hyde is more of a stand alone distortion pedal......

you already have a tubescreamer, and you said you just want to push the amp, which is what the tubescreamer is for, and you already get the overdrive from the amp so you wouldnt need a stand alone distortion pedal....

so it just sounds to me like you are looking for excuses to buy something, just for the sake of it....

if you really feel you would benefit from a compressor, then just buy one of those, instead of taking a loss on selling your pedal, then buying another that does virtually the same thing....

• Members

Everybody's different but i've been using the "silver" version of the J & H, and I love it, the green "Jekyl" has the same op-amp as the TS-808 and the "Hyde" is over the top distortion. You can use them together but its too much IMHO. I use the "Jekyl" mostly as a boost with the drive at a third and the volume a two thirds. I've never tried the new red one, i'm sure it pretty similar, very pleased and it ROCKS!!!:thu:

• Members

I'm a big Tubescreamer fan, but the stock TS9RI leaves me cold. The IC op-amp they use has too much gain and sounds buzzy and harsh. That's why, 10-12 years ago, the TS-9/808 mods were so hugely popular. now you can buy dozens and dozens clones that all offer the vintage correct chips (and several that use other great chips), including a couple by Ibanez themselves. it's amazing that the TS-9RI still uses such a crappy chip when they offer a real 4558 chip in the 808RI and even the TS-7.

The Visual Sound pedals have good TS clones built and offer other features as well (either compression or high gain). If I were going to keep the TS-9RI, I would send it off for a basic 808 mod. But you can easily sell it stock and use that money toward either Visual pedal.

Archived