my aching back

techristian

• Members

I take the G&C tabs. I have bad knees oh wait I HAD BAD KNEES till I took a botle of G&C tabs and my knees got better! WAY BETTER!

I had bad knees from skateboarding and BMX, and found that I couldn't really run when I tried to in my mid 20's. My knees would hurt.

I tried the G&C glucosamine/chondroitin - and it worked. Surprised me, that was my first encounter with "non-mainstream medical community accepted solutions".

My take on it is that it not only takes awhile for it to start working, but where you get it matters. I quit running about a year after that, then started backed up a few years later, and found that my knees were feeling "rusty" again; took a different brand, and it didn't seem to do anything. Tried the G&C, and it worked again.

The thing that makes me mad is that since it's obviously not accepted by the medical community, there's no standardization or research on it. I'm sold on it; I know it works, BUT - what of the toxicity? Or other side effects?

/ one aside: do not discount the value of having really good sneakers. As in, not just "ok" ones, but the price point where when you walk in them they feel *springy*. The only time I've felt like I had, or was about to have "back problems", was when I made a brief foray into wearing hard soled/non-decent running shoes. Within weeks I felt something - but within a *week* of going back to Good Running Shoes no more back problems.

Tested that again a few months ago with a different pair of "dressier" shoes; random assorted back pains. Switch back to always wearing the running shoes - no problems.

// learn what kind of stride and arch you have, and get the right kind of shoe for it; just because it says "New Balance" doesn't mean it's high quality enough, or that it's designed for your type of foot/stride

/// seriously, the shoes you wear will affect your back - believe it or not

• Members

Its interesting to me how strength training is usually ignored in regards to alleviating pain. In fact it was ignored in my reply to this thread. Maybe its because people hear "lift weights" or "build strength" and think they need to become a bodybuilder and go the gym for 2 hours a day. It doesn't have to be that. It can be 20 mins 3 times a week.

Of course stretching is equally important.

Other techniques like hanging to stretch your back or visiting a chiropractor are temporary fixes. A chiropractor re-aligns joints that are out of place because of flexibility and strength issues. The link I originally posted is from a chiropractic site. And I guarantee if most people just did those exercises first, they wouldn't need the chiro visits.

I had pain in the back of my knee for years. I'd always feel it while standing. I have always lifted weights but like a lot of gym guys, neglected lifting weights for legs. Well now I have been lifting weights for legs too for a few years now and I have completely forgotten about my knee pain. Its funny how now you can squat 275 lbs and have no leg pain.

But usually the typically train of thought is, oh my leg hurts, I should rest. Then muscles get even weaker and more problems develop. Of course, consult with your physician before starting this or any other exercise program. :cop:

But seriously, if you do those exercises and stretches every other day for a month, come back to this forum and tell us if your back still hurts. Consistency is the key

• Members

I'm 54 and back ache is what I live with.

In order to keep up to those 4 hour gigs, plus load in/out, stretching, crunches and light weights are mandatory

Heard a lot of good things about G and C

Gotta give that a try

• Members

Its interesting to me how strength training is usually ignored in regards to alleviating pain. In fact it was ignored in my reply to this thread.

I touched on core strengthening in my very first post. In fact, 2 of my 3 points were specifically of techniques designed to strengthen one's core. The other was stretching.

I then follow up on this later with more about core strengthening.

Additionally, yoga has been mentioned several times here, which is largely about holding positions and strengthening weak, unused muscles.

I should have also mentioned Pilates, as this is very effective, but I can't remember everything.

• Members

After severly straining my back I used to throw my back out once a year.

It was very painful.

Since finding this amazing tool - the "MA Roller" Ive managed to never repeat those experiences. It's been several years now.

This ancient chinese design works better for me than any chiropractor ever did.

http://www.themaroller.com/howtouse.html

You place it on the floor and lie on it. Position the roller, one by one on each vertebrae joint and let gravity pull you over the hump of the roller for a few minutes.

This decompresses the spine very locally and effectively.

You can focus on the exact joint that is stressed out.

I find this thing to be totally amazing.

If you have back problems Just do it.

Best 35 bucks i ever spent.

Archived