The strange, tragic trips of Peter Green & Syd Barrett

jkay

• Members

You beat me to it on Roky Erickson. I believe these guys were predisposed to schizophrenia & the acid triggered it. Keep in mind that these guys were taking acid every day in some cases, it wasn't like they were taking occasional trips. That said, they were all great musicians prior to their schizophrenic breaks.

• Members

I knew a guy in high school, that took acid with our bass player. It was his first trip and it really messed him up. The next day he was wandering around the neiborhood a raving lunatic. He spent some time in the hospital and when he got out he was back to normal again.

For some people it seems to act like a trigger if they are on the edge of mental problems.

Max

• Members

I dug out an interview Green did with somebody in the late nineties.

What struck me about it was his very lukewarm feeling about playing the guitar, a seeming lack of passion about doing it. This must be due at least in part with his mental illness.

He mentioned that in the past he went long periods without the desire to play at all and basically didn't.

I'm guessing that if most people inhabiting this board were able to achieve the level of virtuosity that Peter Green has, they would have a guitar permanently affixed to their body, I know I would.

It's a very strange phenomenon in that some incredibly gifted people don't seem to grasp how special and unique it is. Or maybe they do, but in some weird way don't think it's that big a deal.

• Members

You beat me to it on Roky Erickson. I believe these guys were predisposed to schizophrenia & the acid triggered it. Keep in mind that these guys were taking acid every day in some cases, it wasn't like they were taking occasional trips. That said, they were all great musicians prior to their schizophrenic breaks.

Schizophrenia can lie dormant in the brain until someones 20's until something "triggers" it. It can be stress/trauma related, it can be LSD related, or it could just be their time. I will also say that drugs can definately excaserbate mental illness. It makes it harder to treat. We have a patient right now who is a major acid head and he's probably the sickest person I've ever seen. We've had to give him enough drugs to take down an elephant just to make him stop smearing his poo everywhere.

• Members

We have a patient right now who is a major acid head and he's probably the sickest person I've ever seen. We've had to give him enough drugs to take down an elephant just to make him stop smearing his poo everywhere.

Hey, mister, what's so SICK about smearing POO! I find it a much more expressive medium than fingerpaints. 100 million monkeys can't be wrong.

Archived