The strange, tragic trips of Peter Green & Syd Barrett

jkay

• Members

These two guys really had their lives and musical careers ruined by

LSD and/or mental illness.

I've been digging into Peter Greens history a little bit after being blown away by a blues clip posted on another thread.

They were both immensely talented founders of bands that went on to enjoy incredible worldwide success, but ironically it could be argued that both bands appeal was greater without them.

Obviously, Pink Floyd did "OK" without Syd Barrett, and Fleetwood Mac was probably the biggest band in the world in the late seventies with the retooled lineup of Lindsay Buckingham/Stevie Nicks.

Even so, it is immensely tragic that those two did not get to continue their growth as musicians. Peter Green's playing is something special.

• Members

Peter was diagnosed with schizophrenia.

A 1990s comeback saw Green form the Peter Green Splinter Group, with the assistance of fellow musicians including Nigel Watson and Cozy Powell. The Splinter Group released nine albums between 1997 and 2003. It was in the latter part of this period that Peter picked up a black Gibson Les Paul again. [5] Peter signed and sold this ebony Les Paul.

A tour was cancelled and recording of a new studio album stopped in early 2004, when Green left the band and moved to Sweden. Shortly thereafter he joined The British Blues All Stars, but their tour in 2005 was also cancelled. Green has said that the medication he takes to treat his psychological problems makes it hard for him to concentrate and saps his desire to pick up a guitar; whether there will be any more public ventures remains to be seen.

(As per Wikipedia)

There are many good videos on U2b.

• Members

These two guys really had their lives and musical careers ruined by

LSD and/or mental illness.

I've been digging into Peter Greens history a little bit after being blown away by a blues clip posted on another thread.

They were both immensely talented founders of bands that went on to enjoy incredible worldwide success, but ironically it could be argued that both bands appeal was greater without them.

Obviously, Pink Floyd did "OK" without Syd Barrett, and Fleetwood Mac was probably the biggest band in the world in the late seventies with the retooled lineup of Lindsay Buckingham/Stevie Nicks.

Even so, it is immensely tragic that those two did not get to continue their growth as musicians. Peter Green's playing is something special.

Ah yes poor Sid and Peter. The Crazy Diamond and the Green God will never see the recogniton they both deserve. Piper is my fav floyd album after DS, and Peter Green imo is God, not Eric.

• Members

You can't understand how devastating schizophrenia is. I see it every day at my job and its awful. These people are just trying to do things that we take for granted, like have a normal life.

What do ya do? Peter was in bad shape w/ the Splinter Group, he seemed to reltively happy and healthy a couple years later

• Members

dammit... HC ate my post... I'm not gonna re-type the whole thing.

I was in healthcare for 8 years before I blew my back out, working with both geriatric and developmentally disabled patients. It's a helluva tough job that doesn't get nearly the recognition/appreciation it deserves. The stigma attached to mental illness is a damn shame...

• Members

a friend of mine in boulder ran a small group home for adult autistic males. he had 2 clients, and they were both the most amazing guys. one of them NEVER spoke....but he was an artist, of sorts.

he made SO MUCH ART that we had to carry it out of his room monthly in 55 gallon garbage bags. very two dimensional drawings and paintings like maybe a 6 year old would do it. But he taught me an important lesson about the PROCESS being more important than the PRODUCT.

i guess i am lucky, have only had a limited few experiences with hallucinogenic substances (at college, where else?) - but they were all positive. but it's a crap shoot....i don't recommend it. i just happened to go to a college where the only US government sponsored foundation for the study of psychedelic substances was formed, New COllege in Sarasota FL. Woo-Hoo!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

• Members

a friend of mine works for an organisation in London, which helps people who are homeless, on drugs, or down and out generally. It provides hostels etc. Apparently, Peter Green was in there quite a few times.

Everybody talks about Peter, but the other tragedy was Jeremy Spencer....

from WIKI:

During a tour of the United States in February 1971 with new keyboardist Christine McVie now having joined the band, Spencer grew disillusioned with the situation and often mentions an incident when the band were listening back to a recording of an old concert. When he heard himself singing, he said "That sounds horrible. It sounds like {censored}."[2] According to one account, given by Mick Fleetwood, Spencer apparently had difficulty recovering from a mescaline-induced trip he had experienced very early on the US tour. Shortly before a journey of the band from San Francisco to Los Angeles, LA experienced a major earthquake. Being in a fragile mental state and filled with strong negative premonitions, Spencer was very apprehensive about having to travel to LA. He unsuccessfully pleaded with Fleetwood to cancel this leg of the tour.[4] Shortly after arriving in LA, and on the day of a gig the group was scheduled to perform at the Whiskey A Go Go, Spencer left the hotel room he shared with Fleetwood to visit a bookshop on Hollywood Boulevard. Spencer did not return, however, forcing the cancellation of that evening's concert, while the band and members of their entourage went searching for him. Some days later, he was found to have joined the religious group the Children of God, and he declared that he no longer wanted to be involved with Fleetwood Mac. Despite appeals from the band's Manager, Clifford Davis, to fulfil his artistic obligations to Fleetwood Mac, Spencer could not be persuaded to rejoin the band, and thus they had to struggle on without him, first recalling Peter Green out of retirement as an emergency measure, and later recruiting new guitarist Bob Welch.[4]

• Members

...and Fleetwood Mac was probably the biggest band in the world in the late seventies with the retooled lineup of Lindsay Buckingham/Stevie Nicks...

IIRC, at one point with Peter they were selling more records than the Beatles and the Stones combined.

Although Green is not playing anymore, at least he's feeling better and happier now.

• Members

Without whipping out a medical dictionary or scientific journal, I'll simply say that hallucinogens do not create nor cause mental illness (maybe temporarily, 3 to 5hrs max
:p
).

However, I would like to add to the list: Brian Wilson

They may not cause mental illness, but they have an effect on the brain's structure, pathways, neurotransmitters, etc. In the case of hallucinogens, the effect is related to serotonin receptors.

I think that they talked about this in the HBO series, but I'm not sure.

http://www.hbo.com/addiction/

Another great series:

http://www.aetv.com/intervention/

• Members

Without whipping out a medical dictionary or scientific journal, I'll simply say that hallucinogens do not create nor cause mental illness (maybe temporarily, 3 to 5hrs max
).

Agreed, but to my understanding the LSD in the Sixties was much stronger than that dosages us younger folk are, uh, familiar with, and Barrett was taking ridiculous amounts of it. It's thought that Brian Wilson, somewhere in between the obesity, inactivity and huge amounts of drugs, just had himself a little stroke.

• Members

).

Two people I personally know who have "Mental Issues" both used to do a lot of acid. I knew both guys as youngsters, and then later in life. They did not neccerily know each other as they lived in different towns.

One of them, wasn't so bad, but he "expanded his mind" too far in my opinion, and then stayed that way.

The other bloke went totally loony.

now I can't really blame LSD, but it is surely not a coincidence that these fellas lost it, both were acid heads and no one else i know has developed mental issues. . .

• Members

Two people I personally know who have "Mental Issues" both used to do a lot of acid. I knew both guys as youngsters, and then later in life. They did not neccerily know each other as they lived in different towns.

One of them, wasn't so bad, but he "expanded his mind" too far in my opinion, and then stayed that way.

The other bloke went totally loony.

now I can't really blame LSD, but it is surely not a coincidence that these fellas lost it, both were acid heads and no one else i know has developed mental issues. . .

it really depends upon WHO did it, and HOW MUCH they did, and also the roll of the dice.

unless you knew who was making it, and knew that person KNEW what they were doing, no one had any idea of dosage or purity.

one person could take it and be fine, and the next person would flip out.

all that being said:

my personal belief is that there are various substances, most of them from naturally ocurring plants straight from the earth...which can enable a person to experience a huge shift of vision from small and egoic to oceanic and encompassing.

but to do this is FAR from a hedonistic "hey, let's go tripping on acid and play video games" type of thing.

dr. leary tried to tell you kids:

SET

SETTING

DOSAGE

"

"Set" refers to mind-set. You don't just take acid for "fun". You carefully prepare your mind for a profound experience. "Setting" refers to the environment in which you take the drug--a concert with the Rolling Stones at Altamont is not a supportive environment; a forest glade is. And dose, well, who knows these days how much of the drug you're taking if you do street acid?"

Do you get what I am saying here?

Various cultures (my own included, the Cherokee) have used psychoactive substances for a more, for lack of a better word, "spiritual" experience.

that's what they are for.

use them for stupid things, and stupid things will happen.

be careful, kids. seriously. some dude making up alleged LSD in his bathtub is NOT what you want....mmmmkay?:thu:

Archived