Do USA Guitar shops bargain ?

Web Surf

• Members

Fewer and fewer shops are bargaining any more, and even some of the manufacturers are pressuring smaller shops to sell their products at prices the makers are setting, not the dealers. I had one shop sell me an amp from a SoCal amp maker (who shall remain unnamed) and cut me a small deal on the price, but asked me not to broadcast that because he could get in trouble with the amp company for lowering the price below their 'recommended' level (and I have, in fact, kept that promise - even here...).

• Members

How I hate the Internet, some of the joys of inter-human communications like haggling are now a thing of the past

Any Mama Papa shops near downtown Los Angeles ?

My parents will be there for a day and I want them to buy me 1-2 guitars and fly back to my country where good guitars are rare. I am looking for 1000$+ guitars.

• Members

I soke to Sam Ash, long distance from my country. They said that they too work on a fixed price.

Given the state of the economy, I thought more and more stores would start believing that "Half bread is better than no bread"

So who got a discount and how did they do it ???

• Members

I soke to Sam Ash, long distance from my country. They said that they too work on a fixed price.

Given the state of the economy, I thought more and more stores would start believing that "Half bread is better than no bread"

So who got a discount and how did they do it ???

What store told you that? Because thats a lie. I work for Sam Ash. We can still give deals. Just not the same deals that we gave before.

• Members

GC claims to have a no-haggle policy, though I haven't seem them apply it consistently. That said, haggling with GC, if you're successful, only serves to get them to drop their price to what you can get without haggling elsewhere. We have a large local store here - Chuck Levin's, the 5th largest retailer in the U.S. - where you can walk in and get a price 10% - 20% lower than GC without the slightest haggling. If you just walk in, you'll get a 5% - 10% lower price than GC ; if you have a regular salesperson (each of the three guitar guys have been there 15-years), you'll typically get a price from 10% to as much as 20% below GC's marked price. As an example, I bought a Taylor GC4 there last week from my long-time salesperson, no haggling, for $1,149; GC marked price was $1,349. Why waste time haggling with GC? BTW, the depth and breadth of Chuck's selection is an order of magnitude greater than any GC.

I can't speak regarding Sam Ash, though I've heard they're as bad or worse than GC.

• Members

I've managed to haggle down at my nearest Sam Ash several times over the past three years. On things like: guitars, effects, cases. It was never a lot, mind you - but they did come down a little. Usually it involved being IN the store, after having asked for assistance from a salesperson, speaking to them plain (no bullsh*t), being pleasant and friendly (as long as they are being pleasant, friendly, and plain to me), and being reasonable.

And I've heard others in the store "bargaining" for a little price break, or throwing in a gigbag, if they're making a decent purchase.

It happens. But its going to depend on the store, the day, the salesperson, the "purchasee", the alignment of the planets, and many other factors.

I would say, however, that I've never been able to get anybody to haggle over the phone - always had to be in the store.

my two cents.

• Members

I think what the OP means is can you haggle with the online stores.

Myself I think it is hard if your from overseas. The big companies have their own dealers there.

US dealers of Fender/ Gibson and many others brands will not sell their products to Canadians online.

Canadian dealers can not advertise their sale prices here either. You have to go to their store or contact them by phone.

This way the guitar company can regulate the pricing.

• Members

Don't kid yourself. Every guitar shop will haggle, even if they say they have a no haggle policy. The problem is with lower end gear. It is priced much closer to cost than a $10,000 Custom Shop Les Paul, which has a huge profit margin built in. So on a $300 guitar or amp, most dealers aren't going to haggle. Get them to throw in free stuff--tuners, straps, strings--instead.

But when you get into higher priced gear, you're just stooooopid if you pay the price on the tag. Also, used gear is definitely where you can put in some lowball offers.

• Members

Fewer and fewer shops are bargaining any more, and even some of the manufacturers are pressuring smaller shops to sell their products at prices the makers are setting, not the dealers. I had one shop sell me an amp from a SoCal amp maker (who shall remain unnamed) and cut me a small deal on the price, but asked me not to broadcast that because he could get in trouble with the amp company for lowering the price below their 'recommended' level (and I have, in fact, kept that promise - even here...).

*cough*... mesa boogie... *cough*...

• Members

Don't kid yourself. Every guitar shop will haggle, even if they say they have a no haggle policy. The problem is with lower end gear. It is priced much closer to cost than a $10,000 Custom Shop Les Paul, which has a huge profit margin built in. So on a $300 guitar or amp, most dealers aren't going to haggle. Get them to throw in free stuff--tuners, straps, strings--instead.

But when you get into higher priced gear, you're just stooooopid if you pay the price on the tag. Also, used gear is definitely where you can put in some lowball offers.

I believe Guitar Center is more likely to deal on items over $1000. Plus business is going to suck until thanksgiving so you may have more leverage now. If you are really serious about buying 2 guitars each over a 1000 then speak directly to the store manager.

Also, the smaller Guitar Centers are less likely to deal than the larger stores. For example out here in Los Angeles, Pasadena, Northridge, Palmdale are very rigid in terms of dealing, but Sherman Oaks (sometimes, but this store for some reason is run by a**holes) and especially Hollywood are great!!

• Members

I tell you, since I've started FrugalGuitarist.com I've found some crazy good deals. Mind you, I'm not really interested in the big brand names. But give me Google, a guitar model, and a phone and I can find a deal. The catch is you have to ask! Don't be shy but don't be an ass and don't play games. You know what you want and if you researched correctly you should know what and acceptable good deal is. Be upfront about what you want and how much you're willing to spend and there's a good chance you'll get it.

• Members

I haven't found a music store yet that won't haggle, including Guitar Center. You just go in and make an offer. They say yes or they say no. The local Sam Ash is particularly good to me. Two things help there. First I give them regular business. Second, most of the people in local bands know each other. Once you get in that circle of known local musicians, music stores treat you a whole lot differently (better).

• Members

I want to buy one ( Maybe two guitars). Both the guitars I got my eyes on are 1200$+ each internet price. They are branded guitars.

My parents will walk into the store, pick up these guitars and pay cash.

This will be in LA

Any Chuck Levin's close to Downtown LA ?

• Members

I believe Guitar Center is more likely to deal on items over $1000. Plus business is going to suck until thanksgiving so you may have more leverage now. If you are really serious about buying 2 guitars each over a 1000 then speak directly to the store manager.

Also, the smaller Guitar Centers are less likely to deal than the larger stores. For example out here in Los Angeles, Pasadena, Northridge, Palmdale are very rigid in terms of dealing, but Sherman Oaks (sometimes, but this store for some reason is run by a**holes) and especially Hollywood are great!!

I like your "speak to the store manager" approach. So far I found that when I spoek to GC and Sam Ash, I get to speak to a guy who gives me a different e-mail address and sound like a part time student on commission basis. This is new to me because in my country, each person in a store is a full time employee of that store.

So I guess it is not in the interest of the part timer to issue a discount. It might even be out of his range of power to do so.

So I will speak to the store managers direct !!!!

How far is Sherman Oaks from Downtown L/A where my parents will be ? Which store should I speak to there ?

• Members

I like your "speak to the store manager" approach. So far I found that when I spoek to GC and Sam Ash, I get to speak to a guy who gives me a different e-mail address and sound like a part time student on commission basis. This is new to me because in my country, each person in a store is a full time employee of that store.

So I guess it is not in the interest of the part timer to issue a discount. It might even be out of his range of power to do so.

So I will speak to the store managers direct !!!!

How far is Sherman Oaks from Downtown L/A where my parents will be ? Which store should I speak to there ?

don't go to sherman oaks, go to hollywood (where the famous rock walk is). it's on sunset boulevard. to find the exact address go to guitarcenter.com. take 40% off list price out the door (no tax) so if it's 1000 offer 600. you may still have to pay tax but it's a good start. tell them you want to buy 2 guitars.

it's important to let them know you want to spend $$$. they are hurting this month especially due to the economic crisis, no one is buying right now. good luck

there's also a sam ash across the street, play them against each other but guitar center will ultimately give you the better deal, i have never gotten anything good at sam ash unless i had concrete evidence of a printed lower price. they're just hard to deal with, but GC will not want you to go across the street to speak with them

Archived