Gots me a killer travel guitar!

axepilot

• Members

I travel all over the world in my job, sometimes to some less than desirable locales, and I was in dire need of a very portable guitar rig. I just received my Steinberger Spirit after three month's backorder. Killer tone wasn't an issue with buying it; I just wanted a very portable, very playable guitar that sounded at least OK for me to keep my sanity.

Surprise!

This little jewel actually sounds pretty damn good!

All I need now is a pocket Pod, and I'm set.

100_1536.jpg

• Members

is it built like a tank? Emg's?

It seems solid as hell to me, but it's wood, not the carbon fiber or whatever the old expensive Steinbergers were built of. As for pickups, I have no idea. They are labeled "Steinberger" on all three.

When the airline baggage dudes break that one try the Fernades Nomad Deluxe.

I have no intention of checking it. It's going in the overhead bin.

• Members

I've always wanted to try a Steinberger. Is it even possible to sit down with?

More comfortable sitting down than on a strap. It has a fold down "kick stand" that goes over your leg. This is the way I intend to play it most.

• Members

When the airline baggage dudes break that one try the Fernades Nomad Deluxe. It has massive effect, a little tiny drummer in it and a little tiny speaker, too

"That one" doesn't break. One of the old Steinberger ads had a man standing on one suspended between two chairs.

• Members

Happy New Travel Guitar Day- very nice- I have always wondered if those are as comfortable to play as they look like they would be-I keep meaning to try one- speaking of travel guitars have you seen these carbon fiber acoustics- haven't found one in person yet but they look interesting.

sf_0.jpg

• Members

Ok so I'll ask, how much does that spirit wiegh? And is the neck a bolt on?

They don't weigh much at all. I have a silver 3-pickup HSS model. Mine seems to be neck-through with small broom wings, or simply one-piece body and neck. I believe its all maple.

• Members

When the airline baggage dudes break that one try the Fernades Nomad Deluxe. It has massive effect, a little tiny drummer in it and a little tiny speaker, too

The problem with the Nomad is that the scale is so small, the strings tend to be looser than on a 'real' guitar....not exactly good for finger conditioning. Running heavy guage strings help it though.

That aside, the on-board effects are quite nice.

• Members

Nice score :thu:

My wife :love: bought me a GU-7R (the strat-shaped one with a flame maple top) a few years ago and LOVE it. It plays spectacularly, though all that maple tends to make it a tad bright-sounding (nothing that new pickups can't cure).

Btw, you should check these out:

805e_1.JPG

I picked one up a few months ago and couldn't be happier. Now I can use any brand/ gauge of string that I like on my 'berger :thu:

• Members

By the way, if you ever do ever contemplate a pickup upgrade, aim towards very warm pickups.

Although the EMG Selects are often cited as "{censored}e" they are also actually voiced rather well for these guitars. The EMG Selects deliver a good amount of bottom end from a tiny maple winged, maple neck thru guitar, so if you ever do contemplate a change, keep that in mind. I might have picked some different p'ups if I had my mod to do over again, but I'm also fairly happy with the results, but it definitely got brighter, especially in the neck. The middle p'up cavity also had to be routed out a hair for the strat p'up to fit in there. So you definitely might be just happy leaving yours as is for your defined purpose.

But yeah, it's the one I've taken with me on business trips to dink around in the hotel room. You don't have to freak out over what temp changes might be hitting the instrument in your trunk.

Did you find a good case for it? It used to be you could get a better gigbag or even a nice little HSC from MusicYo, but I never managed to snag an upgrade when they were available through them.

Archived