should i save my metal guitar or pull the plug

zosoKing5

• Members

ok, ive got a 1998 epi les paul custom, threw some emg 81/85's in there, and ive been playing it for over 5 years. im not really sentimentally attached to the axe or anything, but it plays well and looks decent. its my go to guitar if ever feel like playing metal, and the bug hits once or twice a week.

At this point, the guitar has crazy dead spots from the 12th fret all the way to the 16th, its where most of the solos are practiced so that makes sense.

My question is do i get it refretted for $200-$250 or do i call it a loss, take the emg's out, sell the body for $100 and get a different guitar to put the emg's back in?

• Members

I would sayyy... replace it. But that's just me. Sounds like 5 years and tons of practice is time enough for an upgrade!
:thu:

id like to upgrade to a soloist or dinky style jackson, charvel or a nice ibanez,

but i just bought this les paul supreme, and i play majority of my classic rock type stuff on that. i cant justify throwing another grand out there for a shredder. Its not really conducive to saving up for that amp i want..:love:

im afraid of trying to refret a guitar. ive sanded, repainted, and routed a body before, but the neck is one thing that actually affects playability, so id rather not risk fubaring a fret board by experimenting like that.

• Members
It's possible you could get a level/crown and fix your problem. A lot cheaper than a refret, have a luthier take a look at it.

:thu:

You would be amazed at just how little material is removed when you do a proper level even when it looks like there are craters in the frets. If you've never had a level done chances are extremely high that there is a ton of life left in them.

And no; if it needs a refret there is no way I would put that kind of money into it. BUT, if you were willing to spend a few bucks on the fretwire yourself and invest in a good book on it you'd save some money and learn a new skill and in the process save a guitar that you like.

Archived