Strings

bmast160

• Members

strings_mullet.jpgstrings_shortbus.jpg

strings_combover.jpgstrings_doublewide.jpg

http://www.knucklehead.com/about.html

I posted this mostly for the amusement, but I have actually used the Super Mullets because the local music store sold them, and they were quite good; they reminded me of regular (non-Blue Steel) Dean Markley electric strings.

For those of you who break a lot of strings, electric sets come with an extra high E.

• Members

I use Ernie Ball Slinky both 9-42 (tunings E, drop-D, and Eb) and 10-46 (D) on most of my stuff. They're just so easy to find in bulk, were the first strings I used, and I don't have many breakages so "if it aint broke don't fix it" type thing for me.

I like the GHS Dave Mustaine Progressive strings (10-52) for anything tuned below D, and sometimes on D. They sound bright (to me even slightly mellow strings+downtuning can make my tone sound like its in "slow motion" so very bright strings are mandatory), feel very playful for such thick strings, and the gauges have reasonably consistent intervals even though its a skinny top/heavy bottom set.

Strings are a much bigger deal for me on an acoustic. I can hear every detail and hate the wrong strings on those. I like D'addario acoustic strings currently but always want to try new types. On electric I really cant notice a huge difference in tone as long as you go with a bright rock type string. Its more about finding the exactly right gauges you feel comfortable with for your fingers/tunings.

Archived