Small fretboard radius: are they supposed to be harder to play on?

zygoat

• Members

Now I'm so used to the 7.25" radius on my strat, that every other guitar I pick up is just so uncomfortable to play on, and it feels like it requires more effort to play faster runs on flatter boards.

Isn't it supposed to be the opposite?:poke:

The only issue I have is fretting out a little on high E bends above the 15th fret, but I rarely do that anyway.

thoughts?

• Members

That rad' is fine by me. What I have gravitated away from though are the small vintage frets that usually come with that rad'. Once I got used to med type frets it has been really tough to play anything smaller. Much less hand strain when bending at the lower frets. Easier bending all the way around really.

Not a fan of jumbo size frets. To easy for me to bend chords out of tune with that size. Especially open chords

• Members

It seems that like you said, you are used to 7.25 and thus going to something flatter means retraining your muscle memory.

As far as switching between different radii, it really isnt a big deal.

I have no problem jumping back and forth between a 7.5, a completely flat classical guitar, and everything in between, including bass guitars, and even violins.

A minute of two warm up with the new instrument should be about all you need to get comfortable, as you can really adapt faster then you are probably giving yourself credit for.

I know TONS of players that can play on any radius with no warmup or any kind of problems.

I think alot of people over think this a little.

• Members

I find the vintage radius on my Tele can be pretty unforgiving. I am just not jiving with it. I get a little wrist pain after playing for a short time and I don't think its the neck profile.

You def' have to work it a bit more. I have a frank N' Strat with the vintage rad' and small vintage frets. A great guitar for chord work but once you start rolling some lead on it you have to put some effort into it compared to other neck rad/fret type combinations.

• Members

:cop:Compound rad' necks can be very addictive.

Yeah, my first electrics were U.S.A. Jackson soloists after about a year of playing classical guitar.

I had been a bass player for years, but didnt pick up the guitar till later.

I fell in love with the feel of that thin/wide compound radius on the Jackson, and it has been my favorite ever since.

I really dont mind playing on different radii though, that just happens to feel the best in my hands. But 20 seconds with a guitar, and I have pretty much compl;etely forgoten about neck radius. I am too into the music to notice at that point.

• Members

Smaller radius necks aren't suppose to be harder to play. As a matter of fact they are generally considered more comfortable and more ergonomic when chording.

As a general rule, often people don't find them as fast solo on and bending requires a little more finesse to not fret out.

• Members

Classical guitars have flat (non-radiused) fretboards. That's what I learned on, that's what I like in my electrics.

Not to snob it up, but if your technique is correct, you shouldn't have any problem holding a bar chord on a flat fretboard.

• Members

"Compound Radius

A compound radius neck has a smaller radius at the nut, and a larger radius at the neck and body joint. As the neck gets wider, the fretboard gets flatter, which is said to be an aid when soloing. The compound radius accomplishes this with a continuously flattening shape beginning with, for example, a 10-inch radius at the string nut and flattening to a 16-inch radius at the highest fret. Compound radius necks are a concept that Warmoth guitars introduced in the 1980s to improve comfort and playability. Warmoth developed the theory and technology to make the fretboard conical, retaining a tighter radius in the area commonly used for rhythm and chording, while flattening the area used for string bending and lead playing."

Ah I see, sounds cool.

• Members

I agree with several posters here: the smaller radius boards are easier for chords, and I really like the feel.

I bought a 7.5 inch strat neck awhile back and truly loved it (it was vintage yellow, which I also love). However, I realized very quickly that it had a fatal flaw for me: I couldn't bend the strings as far as I was used to (they would "fret out" or whatever).

I sold the guitar, but not without remorse.

• Members

my strat has a vintage radius and vintage frets. Its a breeze to play on. Really goes against all the rules. I love it.

my tele has a compound and dunlop 6105 frets and standard thin neck contour and its a chore to play sometimes

My SG Classic is perfect :)

• Members

Don't get me wrong - I absolutely love the 7.5 radius on my vintage strat. Very comfortable and you can feel the high quality. But the one problem I've started to notice is my fingers starting to slip during bends on the high E string and even sometimes the B string. It's VERY annoying and it can sloppy-up your solos. The vibratos aren't as comfortable on the 7.5 radius either.

I'm thinking about getting a 12 radius neck but I'm afraid that it'll be a big change and will be uncomfortable as well. I have fairly small hands (less than or about 7.5 inches from wrist to tip of middle finger) but idk if that makes a difference or not.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

As far as switching between different radii, it really isnt a big deal.

I have no problem jumping back and forth between a 7.5, a completely flat classical guitar, and everything in between, including bass guitars, and even violins.

A minute of two warm up with the new instrument should be about all you need to get comfortable, as you can really adapt faster then you are probably giving yourself credit for.

I know TONS of players that can play on any radius with no warmup or any kind of problems.

I think alot of people over think this a little.

this is the correct answer.

• Members

You shouldn't worry about being able to work with a 12". The first "real" guitar I started with has 12" neck (notice I said has - I've had it since I started gigging in '83) so everytime I pick up something smaller it feels so little...comfortable but little. The ease of chords is great, but soloing on the smaller neck takes real care in getting around, bending, etc.

I think once you adapt you'll be glad you went 12".

• 12 years later...
  • Members

Wow! I am coming to this conversation over a decade after the question was asked!  Some things don’t change!  I can play a lot faster on my small radius fretboard. I find flatter fretboards uncomfortable and I can’t shred on them. I do have problems with notes fretting out on me. 

Archived