a friend's dillemna (neck finishing content)

zosoKing5

• Members

thought id run this by you guitar freaks since i dont know what to tell the guy.

My friend is freaking out over his les paul standard. The back of the headstock/neck is red with a gloss over it, but you can see the grain in the neck. He took some 220 grit sandpaper to the back of the neck because there was too much friction and now the finish on the back is all clouded up, though it plays well. He is scared that though it plays nice, the neck will stay cloudy forever.

My question to you is, how can he fix the clouding? it was a light sand so i dont see it being a big deal to fix but :lol: i didnt want to tell him that if it wasnt the case. Any ways to fix this?

(i know i post like 5 new threads a day, but hey, its a legit question:wave:)

• Members

Tell him to leave the guitar alone if he doesn't know any better than to take that grit paper to the finish and then be shocked that it looks "cloudy"- of course its going to stay that way unless someone does something to fix it, he scratched the hell out of it. I'm quite sure a good luthier could correct it, but probably he should just play it if it feels good- it already can't be called "mint" for resale anyway. I also think a good friend would start pointing out phantom scratches on other parts of it just to {censored} with him. :poke:

Archived