Ever Get The Feeling That You Were Born Into The Wrong Decade??

dattebayo1

• Members

Django Reinhardt- J'Attendrai

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Billie Holiday- Summertime

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Django's playing, even today, stands up to modern scruitiny, and i swear i've never heard someone that could improvise so musically as he. Not to mention Billie Holidays voice!! What gets me is how tastefully and modest she would sing, it just seems effortless.

I would love to have been able to meet these people. They're just phenominal, sure we have modern comparisons, but it hardly compares...

I freakin love this stuff!! :D

Anybody else feel robbed by the cosmos?!?! :p

• Members

Yes. I was a teenager in the '80's listening to classic rock and hippie rock. I wish I was a teenager during the late sixties. Free love and legal acid. Instead I go to college during an Aids epidemic and Nancy Reagan whipping up a storm with her "Just say no" {censored}. Eighties were the wrong time to got to college.

• Members

I shoulda been born in the early twenties, so I could have fought in WW2, lived among the greatest generation, and been a part of all that badass music they had back in those days. I always have a wierd sense of nostalgia for those times, the clothes, the attitudes, the Movies, the culture, even though I never actually experienced them.

Born in 65.

• Members

Yeah, I am about a decade behind CSM, too, and have always identified more with his generation than the following one.

That's the true curse (or blessing) of Generation X: not feeling at home with either the baby boomers or whatever you want to call the generation born in the 70s. (Don't call it Gen X! Douglas Coupland was born in the early 60s, as was I, and he clearly meant Gen X to refer to those born from the late 50s to the late 60s, and his fictional account supports that quite strongly.)

Anyway, being part of the second "lost generation" has its advantages. I am old enough to remember the Beatles and the rest of the British Invasion, was a teenager at the height of Punk, and was a young adult during the best of New Wave. Overall, a good time, musically, to be alive.

However, I do agree with the original poster: Django, early Jazz pioneers, Billie, etc. are all great. I was lucky enough to be born and raised in New Orleans, so Jazz, Funk, Soul, R&B are in my blood.

• Members

I shoulda been born in the early twenties, so I could have fought in WW2, lived among the greatest generation, and been a part of all that badass music they had back in those days. I always have a wierd sense of nostalgia for those times, the clothes, the attitudes, the Movies, the culture, even though I never actually experienced them.

Born in 65.

I'm with you!! Back then one could get a decent job and have a good life. The middle class was a decent place to be instead of now where the middle class is being pushed down to the lower class & becoming working poor.

As for WWII, my Grandfather was in the first wave to hit the beaches of Normandy and although I don't envy people who have to go to war it would be a defining moment and relatively easy to step up to a global enemy like what was present back then instead of being pawns for whatever they have the military doing these days-convince people of an enemy and have ulterior motives.

Clothes, cars, the devotion people had for one another, simple pleasures, etc. All so admirable to me.

Born in 67.

• Members

Yes. I was a teenager in the '80's listening to classic rock and hippie rock. I wish I was a teenager during the late sixties. Free love and legal acid. Instead I go to college during an Aids epidemic and Nancy Reagan whipping up a storm with her "Just say no" {censored}. Eighties were the wrong time to got to college.

Not sure where you went to college, but I went from 85-89 and girls were willing to screw just as much as in the 60s. Never got into drugs, and don't find anything glamourous about them, so I didn't miss them much.

• Members

I would have dug being born in 1937 (i was born in 87). That would but me about 22 when Brubecks "Time Out" album came out. Definably would have tried to get into the early 60's post bop jazz scene. I would have dug the beatles too......

• Members
You're telling me! I was born in '87. I grew up around the rise and height of Rave
:facepalm:

'85 for me, so i feel your pain.

although having lived in the now, i dont think i could go back to the then.
we can listen to the music made in the 70's, 60's and even earlier
but if we lived in that time, we wouldn't be able to imagine what the music would be like in 2008.

same goes with life in general

• Members

I'm 24 right now, and love the music from the sixties to early seventies (Hendrix, early Clapton, Led Zeppelin, etc...). I wish I was living in that time right now. :(

Besides the Black Keys, White Stripes, and Dirtbombs, I don't really listen to any music from these days too much anymore

• Members

Born in the '70's. Teen in the '80's. Worked out okay for me. Really wish I had seen the era of the supper clubs (Brown Derby, etc.).

The '80's was when American culture really started to homogenize into the bland, mundane, middle-of-the-road culture we have today. I kind feel sorry for y'all that are too young to know how diverse different regions and cities and even neighborhoods were before cable TV and national retailers took hold and everyone started getting their culture from the same channels nationwide.

Archived