Mitch Mitchell Appreciation Thread

golias

• Members

Mitch was the most perfect fit for Jimi. That whole lineup is the Jimi I like the most.

this

TB27's Top Drummers

1. Peart(rush)

2. Moon(who)

3.Bonham(zep)

4.Rich

5.Baker(cream)

6.Gordon(session, derek and the dominoes)

7.Starr(beatles)

8. Mitchell(hendrix)

9.Willie 'Big Eyes' Smith(muddy waters)

10.Densmore(doors)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
absolutely. the best example i can really come up with considering i kinda hate cream and really only know i can't stand ginger baker from what i've heard, jimi and keith are dead .. is black sabbath. bill ward was HORRIBLE in the early years - very much the {censored} i hate from drummers from that era. just {censored}in terrible. i can't listen to iron man without cringin. but over the years, he got much better and when i saw them live in the early 00s ... man, he sounded great and the band as a whole just sounded amazing.

listen to SRV cover jimi with chris layton, who is a great, tight, groove drummer. sounds worlds better.

someone doing it right back then? charlie watts.

I disagree about cream and sabbath, but that's your opinion and that's cool. Sabbath and Cream are a couple of my favorite bands. I agree with most of your opinions, but not these. I can see not liking jazz influenced drummers, but they def. don't suck. They are non standard for sure, it wasn't their goal to stay in time or play to a metronome. It's a free flowing style and I like it from time to time. I also like the style you metioned too, straight beats and in time. I agree When the Levee breaks is the coolest drum sound and beat ever imo. I also like the free flowing jazzy styles too, some drummers can't pull it off, but I though Mitch Mitchell,Baker and Ward were awesome fits for those killer bands. I can appreciate both styles.

• Members

absolutely. the best example i can really come up with considering i kinda hate cream and really only know i can't stand ginger baker from what i've heard, jimi and keith are dead .. is black sabbath. bill ward was HORRIBLE in the early years - very much the {censored} i hate from drummers from that era. just {censored}in terrible. i can't listen to iron man without cringin. but over the years, he got much better and when i saw them live in the early 00s ... man, he sounded great and the band as a whole just sounded amazing.

listen to SRV cover jimi with chris layton, who is a great, tight, groove drummer. sounds worlds better.

someone doing it right back then? charlie watts.

can anybody say BUDDY MILES?

I love Mitch too......but Buddy pwns him.

• Members

I love mitch's drumming and I thought it perfectly fit what jimi was trying to do with the experience, which was psychedelic hodgepodge if popular music up until that point. On the other hand, would his drumming fit with the band of gypsies? I don't think so. Buddy miles was very "in the pocket" where mitch was "around the pocket" two different styles for two very different bands

• Members

I think Jimi was keen enough to have both around for dif' reasons.

+1. I like both Mitchell's jazzy drumming on the Experience records and Miles' groove on the Band of Gypsys album. Different drummers for different sounds; for me they're different rather than better or worse. I'm not a drummer though, so obviously I'm not the best judge of technical ability.

• Members

mitch still sucks.

and your ears still suck if you think otherwise.

mitch DOESNT suck at all. not in the least, he's an amazing example of drum virtuousity.

FOR ME onstage, I would rather have that BIG FATBACK groove that somebody like Buddy could lay down.

And I liked him and Billy Cox better with Jimi. Cox was a BASS PLAYER, not a frustrated guitarist -- he knew how to play BASS.

• Members

Love Mitch Mitchell! He added so much to the Experience.

My top 5 favorites:
1. Keith Moon
2. Mitch Mitchell
3. Brian Downey
4. Brant Bjork
5. The dude in Mastodon

I like when drummers do more than just keep the beat & as said above, there's not too many jazz/jazz like drummers playing rock anymore.

Archived