Xaviere XV700 vs. XV500

Fagmotron 3000

• Members

I'm graduating college in December, and tomorrow I am going to buy myself an Xaviere for my grad present. :) I was wondering if anyone has experience with the XV500 and the XV700 because those are the two guitars I am trying to decide between. I'd like the contoured body of the XV700, but I am worried that it won't have the tone as sustain that the XV500 will because the XV700 is thinner. Has anyone here ever been able to compare them in person, and does the XV700 sound as good?

I am also on the fence about the XV550. I love the F-holes, but I am not sure how that guitar will sound compared to a solid body. I have played hollow body guitars before and it is not the sound I am going for, but since this is not the same as a hollow body, I am wondering if it will have the tone and sustain of a solid body.

I actually went to pull the trigger on a black XV500 tonight and there is no order button on the webpage, so I am assuming it sold out already. If I get the XV500 it will have to be the tobacco burst.

Thanks.

• Members

I emailed Jay once asking basically the same question - I don't have the email here at work but the answer was basically that they were similar in tone but the XV-700 had a slightly brighter tone due to the thinner body. Still a solid mahogany body, though, albeit with a 3/4" maple cap. Somebody voiced concern that the 700 would sound too much like an SG to which Jay responded...

Not really- cause it has a carved solid 3/4" maple top- so bags more balls and sustain than a typical SG...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2147128

• Members

I have a 550 and had a 700. My 700 was one of the very first Xaviere's and while I liked it, I'm not a fan of gold hardware and though it was extremely comfortable and accomplished the job of a lighter LP style guitar, it just didn't feel enough like an LP to me with the thin body... that is just my preference. I like LP style guitars to have a thicker body. As for your concerns with the 550 semi hollow. I like mine a lot. I like it because it gives me different tonal variations than a solid body LP style guitar. If I were going to have one as my main guitar, I would start with the 500 though, especially since you aren't a fan of hollow bodies. The solid body you plug in and crank and go. The semi-hollow, while you plug in and crank, you will also have to pay attention to volume levels a little more because of feedback.

Regardless of your choice, these are great guitars and big fun to play.

One more suggestion. Go check out the raffle in my sig and you could win a 550 with just $5! This is the actual guitar.

550HB_B.jpg

• Members

I don't have any personal experience with the XV-500 or XV-700.

However, I do own the following:

1. A '99 Gibson LP Classic (a full bodied LP)

2. An '87 Gibson LP Custom Lite (an LP Custom with a thinner body and belly contour, like an XV-700).

There is no discernable difference in sustain between the two. The Custom Lite actually has a deeper tone than the Classic, and this is not due to the pickups, as you can hear the difference when the guitars are unplugged.

So my point is: Don't be afraid of a thinner body. It does not necessarily mean less sustain or a less full-bodied tone.

As for the XV-550: I generally do not recommend hollow bodies or semi-hollow bodies if you intend to play with any appreciable levels of gain and volume. The result is usually feedback hell. If you're a clean country picker, have at it.

• Members

...with a thick layer of syrup.

Jay= thick, syrupy balls and sustain
:eek:

haha. One of my faves is on the Fat Mini mini-humucker page: "So I really made sure that I would not release a GFS Mini Humbucker until I had some SACK dialed in". :lol:

@Jay, it's all in good fun man. I love your products, got about 3 sets of pickups and an xaviere. Just joking around. :wave:

• Members

haha. One of my faves is on the Fat Mini mini-humucker page: "So I really made sure that I would not release a GFS Mini Humbucker until I had some SACK dialed in".
:lol:

@Jay, it's all in good fun man. I love your products, got about 3 sets of pickups and an xaviere. Just joking around.
:wave:

so...

Jay= thick, syrupy ball sack with loads of sustain? :lol:

love ya' Jay :D

• Members

Well, I have to rule out the XV550 because of the feedback. Most of the music I play is higher gain hard rock.

For the record, the 550 does not have bad feedback. But with any hollow or semi-hollow that has cavities it is easier to get into feedback situations.

But if you are playing mostly higher gain hard rock you are better off with a solid body, IMHO.

• Members
I have a 550 and had a 700. My 700 was one of the very first Xaviere's and while I liked it, I'm not a fan of gold hardware and though it was extremely comfortable and accomplished the job of a lighter LP style guitar, it just didn't feel enough like an LP to me with the thin body... that is just my preference. I like LP style guitars to have a thicker body. As for your concerns with the 550 semi hollow. I like mine a lot. I like it because it gives me different tonal variations than a solid body LP style guitar. If I were going to have one as my main guitar, I would start with the 500 though, especially since you aren't a fan of hollow bodies. The solid body you plug in and crank and go. The semi-hollow, while you plug in and crank, you will also have to pay attention to volume levels a little more because of feedback.

Regardless of your choice, these are great guitars and big fun to play.

One more suggestion. Go check out the raffle in my sig and you could win a 550 with just $5! This is the actual guitar.

550HB_B.jpg

I think a 550 with Mean 90s would be just fine!

• Members

I have the 500. I'm a dedicated Strat guy and bought mine because it was a blem (cheaper) and I wanted something with humbuckers - besides, why limit yourself to one style of guitar. So, I bit.

I have never, ever gotten more bang for the buck as I have with the XV500. I had to change strings and set it up but, after I did, the thing came alive. Tone for days. Sustain o' plenty. The Crunchy Pats are some of the best pickups I have ever heard. I love to play this guitar, I love the way it sounds. Blems and all, it is a fabulous guitar.

I believe you will be more than happy with it.

Archived