Just bought a Fender Highway 1 Tele...thoughts?

myname1

• Members

What do you think of these highway one telecaster guitars from Fender?

I am not a great big fan of teles, but wanted an american tele to add to my guitar collection as I do play some southern gospel sounds sometimes.

This is the one I got....picked it up for $580.00 on ebay.... 2004 model

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270277175236

I am getting a musicians friend hard case for it also for $49.99 in black.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Gear-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar-Case?sku=540948

Are these decent tele guitars? The reason I went with a highway one and not an american standard, is because I like the vintage-like stuff on the guitar. Such as the bridge, tuners and pickups.

• Members

HNGD

It will get the job done.

IT kind of looks like the Highway one Texas Tele? Not sure if they made the H1 Texas tele in 04 though. If so :thu::thu:

If not then

It's either not stock or not the upgrate model. Looks like brass barrles on it and vintage style tuners.

• Members

great guitar. i got mine on blowout for $383, and a fender hardshell case for $40. for under $450 its one of the best value purchases i've made for guitars. Mine looks different than the rest of you guys' HWY1's though - it lacks the big 70's logo. i think mine was NOS, serial number puts it around 2004 mfr date.

I've upgraded to brass saddles and noticed a palpable improvement in tone. Its a solid guitar.

pic:

2042704900_713f89b53c_b.jpg

• Members

great guitar. i got mine on blowout for $383, and a fender hardshell case for $40. for under $450 its one of the best value purchases i've made for guitars. Mine looks different than the rest of you guys' HWY1's though - it lacks the big 70's logo. i think mine was NOS, serial number puts it around 2004 mfr date.

I've upgraded to brass saddles and noticed a palpable improvement in tone. Its a solid guitar.

pic:

2042704900_713f89b53c_b.jpg

That's a beauty. What type of tuners came on it Same as the ones on the OP

s.

• Members

HNGD

It will get the job done.

IT kind of looks like the Highway one Texas Tele? Not sure if they made the H1 Texas tele in 04 though. If so
:thu:
:thu:

If not then

It's either not stock or not the upgrate model. Looks like brass barrles on it and vintage style tuners.

I think it IS A TEXAS TELE! Now that you pointed it out....it has the tuners...the brass saddles and looks like one pictured at the fender site, just with a different body color!

And yes, I just looked at an article that harmony central did and it was introduced in 2003! Here is the article.

http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM03/Content/Fender/PR/Highway-1-Texas-Tele.html

Look here at the fender site and it will give you specs on both. According to their picture...I think mine IS a texas tele!

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?section=guitars&cat=telecaster&subcat=highwayone

• Members

I think it IS A TEXAS TELE! Now that you pointed it out....it has the tuners...the brass saddles and looks like one pictured at the fender site, just with a different body color!

And yes, I just looked at an article that harmony central did and it was introduced in 2003! Here is the article.

http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM03/Content/Fender/PR/Highway-1-Texas-Tele.html

Look here at the fender site and it will give you specs on both. According to their picture...I think mine IS a texas tele!

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?section=guitars&cat=telecaster&subcat=highwayone

That would be a good deal then. I remember drooling over those in the catalogs. You should be able to tell if it's the Texas model by the fretboard. On the Texas model the fretboard should feel pretty flat with a 12" radius. The regular version has a more vintage 9.5" radius fretboard, so it would feel more noticeably curved. If you got the Texas model then you did pretty well since they cost about another hundred over the standard model of highway one. They have "hot vintage" pickups in them which I believe are a little bit of an upgrade. Also you get an ash body instead of alder. I'm actually more of an alder fan, but if the piece(s) of ash is good, then ash is regarded by most players as the more traditional wood for a tele.

374724.jpg

• Members

That would be a good deal then. I remember drooling over those in the catalogs. You should be able to tell if it's the Texas model by the fretboard. On the Texas model the fretboard should feel pretty flat with a 12" radius. The regular version has a more vintage 9.5" radius fretboard, so it would feel more noticeably curved. If you got the Texas model then you did pretty well since they cost about another hundred over the standard model of highway one. They have "hot vintage" pickups in them which I believe are a little bit of an upgrade. Also you get an ash body instead of alder. I'm actually more of an alder fan, but if the piece(s) of ash is good, then ash is regarded by most players as the more traditional wood for a tele.

374724.jpg

Looking at the picture on the Fender site, the neck definately looks like a texas tele, because if you notice the fender logo and the string tree are dead on for being where a texas tele neck should be.

Wow, didn't expect that.

As far as the color...

Low gloss, acrylic lacquer available in 2-Tone Sunburst and Honey Blonde.

I now think I got a honey blonde highway one texas tele.

• Members

Looking at the picture on the Fender site, the neck definately looks like a texas tele, because if you notice the fender logo and the string tree are dead on for being where a texas tele neck should be.

Wow, didn't expect that.

As far as the color...

Low gloss, acrylic lacquer available in 2-Tone Sunburst and Honey Blonde.

I now think I got a honey blonde highway one texas tele.

That's cool. Definitely "bonus" on that deal then.

But why buy a hardcase? Looks like it's coming with the stock deluxe Fender gigbag. Those offer pretty good protection unless you're really going to toss it around.

• Members

That's cool. Definitely "bonus" on that deal then.

But why buy a hardcase? Looks like it's coming with the stock deluxe Fender gigbag. Those offer pretty good protection unless you're really going to toss it around.

I have hard cases on ALL of my guitars! I do not take any chances with gig bags unless it is a local gig. For fifty bucks, I simply don't see why more people don't protect their instrument better when they can afford to do so.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Here's my input:

With my H1 Tele, I really dug the feel of the guitar. It was nice to see a tele with the brass saddles and a general no-frills look.

The nitro paint jobs definitely aren't made to last, though. Even in the promotional videos, I remember them suggesting that they're prone to becoming "relic'd" rather easily (to put it positively), which I kinda like, but is a hard sell.

That said, like all Teles, the stock pickups are meant to be changed, in my opinion. I wasn't a huge fan of 'em. I considered getting a VVG P90 in the neck and some kind of beefier pickup for the bridge, again, I'd probably go with VVG because his pickups are well shielded, which is something these guitars really need.

But alas, I decided that I had enough guitars, and spending the money to make it into a super Tele beast wasn't something I was interested, so I (shameless plus) put it up on eBay for $560 BIN:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=250321858147

• Members

I helped my friend buy one recently and it's a very nice guitar. You know, it is what it is....it's not gonna give you the satisfaction that something like a custom shop would, but they look fantastic and sound very good. Playability I found was very nice. We played a ton of them and really you had to pay like 300 or 400 more to get something that felt noticeably better.

• Members

damn. i missed out on a forum member's highway 1 tele yesterday, some dude paypaled him an hour before me. i went to gc and played the tele and a gretsch electromatic pro jet, im glad i bought the pro jet haha. that tele is still on my to do list...

Archived