Gibson: Sg standard vs. SG faded

Philmorris

• Members

I am in the market for new guitar and this two kinda jumped into my way. IS there huge diference beetwen this 2 guitars or it is more just fancy finish on standard?

Are those two the real deal? Or are more like LTD guitars? Don't get me wrong....i don't know anything abut gibsons, so i have n00b question to some. They are kinda cheap if i look on the price, even LTD are more expencive. It just cross my mind how can Gibson be cheaper tnat LTD.

• Members

Save up and get a '61 reissue. Used.

It's a whole different league. The '61 feels like a guitar should. Fadeds are "nice for the price" but you can tell where they cut corners. And while a standard is better, I'd still go for the '61 based on pickups, binding, pickguard, finish, and pure quality.

• Members

The faded will be 3-5 pieces, the standard 2-3, the '61 is likely to be even only 1 piece, and bookmatched. The lightweight tailpiece, longer neck tennon on the '61 may add sustain, but the thicker necks on the others may add sustain as well.

As for the tone, 490R/490T set(faded) sounds like they forgot to make a bridge pickup(IMO), the 490R/498T doesn't have the same problem, the 498 can be a little on the hot side, and the wire gibson used on these makes signal less clear on cleans and dirty, whereas the '57 classic/classic+ on the '61 is pretty close to the original PAFs put in the original SGs, retaining clarity, with medium vintage output.

• Members

If I where in your shoes I'd go with the faded then, basicly the same sustain (maybe a tad more due to the finish) and the sound differences are in the pups. Some don't like the 490 other love it, but with the money saved you could pop anything in there you'd like. Some say with the thinner neck on the 61 you lose some sustain. Though I've got a Menace with the same thin neck and hit kicks all kinds of ass, she's loaded with a set of Iommi's.

• Members

The faded will be 3-5 pieces, the standard 2-3, the '61 is likely to be even only 1 piece, and bookmatched. The lightweight tailpiece, longer neck tennon on the '61 may add sustain, but the thicker necks on the others may add sustain as well.

As for the tone, 490R/490T set(faded) sounds like they forgot to make a bridge pickup(IMO), the 490R/498T doesn't have the same problem, the 498 can be a little on the hot side, and the wire gibson used on these makes signal less clear on cleans and dirty, whereas the '57 classic/classic+ on the '61 is pretty close to the original PAFs put in the original SGs, retaining clarity, with medium vintage output.

That's funny my faded's a 2 piece. Ian you really need to put that disclaimer back in your sig.

• Members
And it would have more sustain than SG or Les paul studio?

Once more, thanks for replay to all
:thu:

I'm not sure. Haven't picked up an explorer yet.

Wood varies, I'm talking about ranges here. The '61 reissue is a higher end model, so it would stand to reason that the construction would be top notch. Is this such a ludicrous assumption?

• Members

I dont get where people come off saying that Gibson's quality is different throughout the line

All of their SGs are the same exact body (cept for the PU routs in the Classic and the number of pieces for the body)

the hardware is identical on all of them

the finish is identical on all of them (save for the faded which is satin)

the attention to detail is the same, they don't put less into the fadeds then they do on the standards

they're the same guitar just at different price points

• Members

SG Standards just feel and sound much better than the fadeds. They are IMO what a SG is. Large FAT 59 necks and very light overall weight. Extended neck joint. Very nice playing and Feeling Gibson on the most part, just beware of them being neck heavy and pick one thats NOT.

Then there's the obvious also, Neck-Binding, Inlays, Nitro Finish and 498 in the bridge.

• Members

1) a 1 piece body, by definition, cannot be bookmatched. That would make it a 2 piece body.

2) The '61 has a short tenon. It's (in)famous for it.

• Members

1) a 1 piece body, by definition, cannot be bookmatched. That would make it a 2 piece body.

2) The '61 has a short tenon. It's (in)famous for it.

Also many confuse a 2-piece center seamed body with a Bookmatched Top.

Not that this has anything to do with SGs.

But a Book-Matched Top is a Piece of wood that is split in the middle and opened like a book, then those two pieces are seamed together. Its usally reserved for Quilt and FMTs. So when the two pieces are placed together the Grain Patters match up perfectly on both sides. One side becomes a mirror image of the other.

2-piece bodys like my SRV are two similair GRAINED piece's matched together. Though the piece's may look VERY similiar and could very well be from a similiar piece of wood, they could also be two totally different pieces of wood that just happen to have similiar Grain patterns and color?

• Members

Can't go wrong really with any of the Gibson models mentioned. If you can afford it then get the SG standard. It's cool looking and has a sturdier neck joint compared to the 61' RI. The Explorer-76 is cool ( I own one) but you can def' get "jammed-up" around the 19th-22nd frets because the cutaway is not very wide.

Archived