Gibson: Sg standard vs. SG faded

Philmorris

• Members

I am in the market for new guitar and this two kinda jumped into my way. IS there huge diference beetwen this 2 guitars or it is more just fancy finish on standard?

Are those two the real deal? Or are more like LTD guitars? Don't get me wrong....i don't know anything abut gibsons, so i have n00b question to some. They are kinda cheap if i look on the price, even LTD are more expencive. It just cross my mind how can Gibson be cheaper tnat LTD.

My faded is better than any standard I have ever played.

But that being said, I have never played another faded that is at that quality level. Try before you buy.

I would also look into the 61 reissue as well, like one of the above posters said.

• Members
But is SG faded stil the real Gibson guitar?

Thanks for replay to all of you
;)

1 piece body on mine. It kicks all kinds of ass. I did have to mod it a bit, but I had a specific configuration in my head from day one

I would spring for a used one, or go to the next model up if your buying new. I wasn't fond of the pups in mine so there's more money you have to drop down.When I bought mine they were at $579, so it was a good buy, even if you were planning of swapping the pups and everything.

SDC10370.jpg

• Members

The Standard and Faded are both fairly different guitars, the standard feels like a definite step up- and sounds it too- but the 61 floors the two of them. The 61 is just another level, you can compare the Faded and Standard and wiegh their pros and cons according to what best suits you, but the moment we bring the 61 into consideration, there's no competition. The ONLY complaint i've ever heard regarding the 61 is that the neck to body joint isn't as strong as the standard and faded- the neck tenon is fairly short, as a true Reissue would be. It's not really a big deal unless you through your instruments about- but as you say, you want to use this guy in the studio. This is the best sounding of the three and the neck is a little slimmer too, so most people find it much comfier. There's always the SG Classic with p90 pickups- it's a different animal all-together, but if you like single coil clarity and bite- this is the one to go for. That's why it's my favourite.

Hope youcan make up your mind man :thu:

• Members

faded has a 50's round neck, standard has a slim 60's neck.

those are the 2 major difference to me. the rest is cosmetics and a subjectively different bridge pickup.

i went to the store intending to buy a standard, but got the faded because of the round neck. i also happen to think the satin brown - which isnt "worn" like some of the other faded colours - is very pretty and makes the neck feel nice.

as fo wood, my particular faded is 3 piece, and the standard i was playing was 2 piece centre joined. the 61 was 1 piece, but its 2x the money and has the old style neck joint which i dont like.

• Members

I say
play both...
see if the extra $$$ is worth it.... sometimes you just find a diamond in the rough

ding! Ding! Ding! Never buy a cheaper guitar because some eedjit on the internet said it was just as good as one six times the price.... and never, never buy a much more expensive guitar cause some guy on the internet said it was better. Play them both and see hat works for you.

• Members

I have the faded V, explorer and LP. I also have a faded standard and it does have 1 piece body, if that matters.( mine does for some reason) I don't care for the faded SG , it just doesn't feel right to me. It's the only faded model I really don't care for. It feels,plays and sounds night and day differently than the standard. My SG standard is flawless and is not neck heavy. The faded explorer is probabaly my best playing and sounding guitar. It has a really thin neck and sounds thicker and heavier than all of my other guitars. The V has the same pups and the explorer is still thicker and heavier sounding.

Archived