help me decide my only NGD for a LONG time

Electric Monk

• Members

OK, I was positive I wanted a Strat. All of my heroes play strats. (most of them)

Then Leeds-era Pete Townshend had to stroll along bringing promises of fatter, 'raunchier' (what the {censored} does that even mean?) tones, as well as candy and video games in his van. hurr hurr. And I think I've fallen in love with the sound of a neck P90, after listening to Another Brick In The Wall a lot. So now I think I want an SG classic.

My only other electric is a Highway One tele with texas specials. I love the thing, of course, but I'm worried that a strat isn't too tonally different to justify owning in the long run, since this will be my only guitar for quite a while.

I'm reasonably sure I don't want humbuckers, though. And the Strat comes with a case and all that. (I was gonna get an american standard.)

Basically, will I be depressed that I didn't go for the fatter-sounding P90's, or will I long for the in-between quack?

I know it's impossible to say but bear with me. I'm pulling my hair out here.

• Members

Welcome to why we have 5+ guitars etc.... No guitar is ever going to do it all and if by some means you have found it, then more power to you. Regardless I'd say the strat (I have an '82 smith strat and love it). I guess the best advice is to pick "your" guitar and make it part of your sound as so many of the greats seem to stick to one guitar and somehow "define" the sound for that guitar, I don't know....

But anyway strat....unless you want to be different then get a G&L with P-90's but I really don't want to give bad advice to how someone spends their money.

• Members

OK, I was positive I wanted a Strat. All of my heroes play strats. (most of them)

Then Leeds-era Pete Townshend had to stroll along bringing promises of fatter, 'raunchier' (what the {censored} does that even mean?) tones, as well as candy and video games in his van. hurr hurr. And I think I've fallen in love with the sound of a neck P90, after listening to Another Brick In The Wall a lot. So now I think I want an SG classic.

My only other electric is a Highway One tele with texas specials. I love the thing, of course, but I'm worried that a strat isn't too tonally different to justify owning in the long run, since this will be my only guitar for quite a while.

I'm reasonably sure I don't want humbuckers, though. And the Strat comes with a case and all that. (I was gonna get an american standard.)

Basically, will I be depressed that I didn't go for the fatter-sounding P90's, or will I long for the in-between quack?

I know it's impossible to say but bear with me. I'm pulling my hair out here.

I think it's just a matter of finding the right Strat... which is a big challenge in itself. They

• Members

My opinions are:

They all sound, feel, and play differently.

IMO, a strat and tele are different enough that you need one of each. Well maybe not "need" but they're different tonally enough to justify it. There are certain sounds, you're just not gonna get from one to the other.

I have several humbucker guitars, which at the moment don't get played too much, neither do the strat or tele either.

I have an SG Classic and it has become my #1 guitar. I play it thru a Peavey Classic 50 and it's just amazing to me.

• Members

Given that you prefer the Fender scale, I would suggest getting a Strat. Fender really outdid themselves with the 2008's, so I would highly recommend snapping one of them up. There are plenty going for cheap in the used market, thanks to the economic downturn.

- I've heard very good things about BG pickups. They won't sound exactly like a P-90, but may get you in the ballpark. From there, it's just a matter of EQing.

- The Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders get a very good P-90 sound as well. A friend of mine who's a Beatles fanatic has a set in his Telecaster, and he's really happy with them (he nails that Revolver tone).

- The American Deluxe Strats have HSH routing. Get yourself a new pickguard, route it (or have it done for you) for P-90s in the neck and bridge positions and get some nice P-90 pickups in your Strat. Won't sound exactly like a P-90 loaded Gibson, but it'll be *very* close.

I would hang onto the H1 Tele if you can. Take your time, save your money.

Archived