Gibson, Epi, Agile etc. Why did you buy your Gibson Les Paul?

JohnnyR

• Members

There are so many manufacturers making LP style guitars today and some of them are really good...good to the point of being as good as a Gibson or better based on quality/price. For myself, I went the Gibson route because I bought my 76 LPC back in 80 and at the time we didn't have the choices that we have now. Had I been born in the 70s/80s instead of the 50s, I would have had more choices in my teens or 20s and may very likely have gone with other options. I bought my LP because I wanted a good guitar, a particular sound and at the time I was in a position to afford the "best" there was to be had so I bought Gibson. Even before the LP I owned a 67 SG Custom and a 67 Strat. Every time I changed guitars it was to me an upgrade but each was a high grade American guitar and today the choices are light years ahead of our options back then. Whats your story?

J.R.

• Members

I've tried loads of Les Paul copies and none REALLY did the Les Paul 'thing' like the Gibson. They may or may not have been decent guitars but not really the same character (tonally speaking) as the Gibson version. I own 3 other Les Paul copies and find the same thing.

When I went shopping for a Les Paul I played a few and although I wasn't happy with the scraper marks on the neck bindings, the guitars felt awesome and sounded awesome. After shaking my head while looking at the Les Paul price tag(s) and looking back at the scraper marks I thought "well maybe I'll just get two Epiphones instead".

I tried about 8 or 10 Epiphones and none of them even came close to the Gibsons...any of the Gibsons. Back on the hangers with the Epiphones. I decided that either the Gibson Les Paul Smartwood or the Gibson Les Paul Studio would be the one for me as the felt and sounded like the pricey Gibsons but I wouldn't be offended by the scraper marks (no neck bindings on those two models). I went with the Studio and have been happy ever since. I recently picked up another like new Studio for half-ish the price I paid for my new one.

I still haven't played an Epiphone that I would own (aside from a hollowbody).

I still haven't played a PRS that I would own (many choose them as an LP alternative).

I still haven't tired of the Gibson Les Paul tone (although I do enjoy many different guitar tones IE: Teles, Strats, Superstrats, hollows, acoustics, etc.)

That's my story.

• Members
I tried about 8 or 10 Epiphones and none of them even came close to the Gibsons...any of the Gibsons. Back on the hangers with the Epiphones. I decided that either the Gibson Les Paul Smartwood or the Gibson Les Paul Studio would be the one for me as the felt and sounded like the pricey Gibsons but I wouldn't be offended by the scraper marks (no neck bindings on those two models). I went with the Studio and have been happy ever since. I recently picked up another like new Studio for half-ish the price I paid for my new one.

That's my story.

Stock Pickup on Gibson > Stock Pickups on Epiphone

:idea:

• Members
My LTD ec-1000 vhb has the lp vibe and I love it, but in retrospect I wish I would have looked for a used Edwards. Shoot, I still might do it.
:thu:

I have a couple of ECs. Great guitars. Les Paul vibe? Yes. Still not a Les Paul in my opinion. I think the fatter necks on the Gibsons add a lot to the tone. IMO.

• Members
Stock Pickup on Gibson > Stock Pickups on Epiphone

Elementary.

Only one small part of the equation though.

Put it this way...if I ever threw a Gibson in the pond it would hit a huge pile of Epiphones.

Among other various chunks of wood and metal pretending to be guitars.:lol:

• Members

I had one in the 70's, but got rid of it. Like the O.P., I was born in the 50's and growing up in the 60's the LP was one of "the" guitars to own. (A lot of the cheap guitars back then were just that - "cheap".)

Even though I played probably over 100 different LP's in the past 5 years, it took a long time until I found one that met my expectations (real or imaginary, as I wasn't about to settle for anything less than the Les Paul I once owned. It was a sweet guitar.)

It's not that I didn't have the money (although I wasn't about to lay $5K down for any guitar), it was just that I wanted one and only one - and it had to look, feel, and sound a certain way. When I found "the one", I didn't let it leave my hands and the cash went down a few minutes after I made my decision.

Seems strange, because I've actually spent more money on other guitars that "talked to me" soon after picking them up and playing them a bit. And it seems funny that I picked up an American Standard Strat before I found my Les Paul. (I also had a Stratocaster in the 60's - my first good electric guitar. Sold it to get a car.)

Reflecting back, I actually think it was a good thing that it took so long until I found the LP that I really wanted. During the search, I got to play a lot of neat guitars and made some interesting discoveries. In the end, it reinforced the notion that guitars should be judged one at a time and not by the price tag or the name on the headstock.

Then, again, maybe I'm just becoming an old windbag! :p

• Members

Life is too short to play copies of a Les Paul. You can get a used Les Paul Standard for $1200-$1500 if your in the market and do your research. No reason to spend $2500 on a new one. I think I bought 2 new guitars my whole life, everything else has been used.

If $1200-$1500 bucks is too much for a well made awesome guitar, you choose the wrong hobby in my opinion, and should take up knitting. Any decent guitar is gonna be at least $500 bucks, but to me most decent guitars start at about $800.

Everyone complains that Les Paul's are expensive, but Ive managed to get both of mine at very good prices. Buy used...Craigslist is amazing, forums are great too!!

Archived