Suggest a Hardshell Guitar case here!

HaloJem

• Members

Ok, electric maniacs! I need brand/model/seller suggestions on aftermarket case - from experience please!

I will not be flying with it - and Im not too keen on regular case materials (ie: Coffin Case/monkey case). Ive become amazed at how much damage has occurred on my Gibson LP & Epi cases just with a few gigs & weekly rehearsal transport. Ive seen plenty of "near-bomb proof" cases on eBite, but they are no-name brands & quality is questionable...Let's go! *and Go Broncos!*

:thu:

• Members

Thanks! SKB is winnin' 2-zip! BTW, the guitar I have most in need of a case is my McSwain Tin Top, which has an oversized body (oversized versus an LP - similar shape).

Pretty sure you can find a generic, rectangular SKB case out there, or maybe a 335 case if that would work.

• Members

SKB is hit and miss with me. I have two freedom series, bass cases, and one is just horrible. But, my really nice SKB with the TSA locks and all that jazz is holdin up. My coffin case is a little banged up, it could have held up better. No personal experience, but Postal Monkey cases look cool, and have a built in tuner.

• Members

My Skb case for my lp is great. Two complaints are 1. There is barely enough room for my strap in the compartment.

2. It smelt really bad for a long time(the brand new smell was more like brand {censored} smell)

My skb case for my strat is great. It is the new Fender cases by skb that actually have fender embosed on it. Good storage room and protection.

I had a road runner hard case for my PRS when I had it. It seemed ok, but the skb is much better. SKB made {censored} cases IMO about 10 years ago, but now they RAWK!!

• Members

Hiskox are a UK company that make bombproof cases similar to SBK's.

I'm pretty sure they are available worldwide.

I have one for my LP and am pleased with it........

collage20.jpg

......hhmm...can't seem to get 'Photobucket' to copy direct image links anymore!!

...oh yes I can?? No idea what that was all about!

• Members

I've had my first SKB freedom case for almost 3 years now. By the time it was two years old, it was and still is being held together with Gorilla Tape. One latch is also horribly off-center. But, I got a second one cheap because it was slightly used, and it's just fine.

• Members

I'm not too happy with SKB's consistency. I've had cases from them that were not made with the two halves fitting together. In this day and age, and considering that their cases aren't super cheap....there's no excuse nor a reason for a re-try.

I know there are other similar cases out there at half the price. Keep an eye out for those. I'm all for the plastic-style cases, btw, because the fancier ones (tweed, etc.) are just going to get shredded.

LouLoomis

• Members

Thanks for all of the advice! Its nice to know I'm at a natural point of gigging & traveling with the axes that is "too much" for normal cases! ;)

I took a gander @ G.C. for the SKB units - it turns out the only SKB that the Tin Top fits in is the Gibson ES-335 case. They had one & I had brought the guitar in for a "fit test" - pow! No cutting or modding needed! :)

Incidentally, there was a VERY used & smashed up SKB case they had gotten on a trade - for sale for $10! It looked like it had dropped bottom first from a good height & had skid marks carved into the top - maybe it skidded down the road? The latches still worked - its rare you get to see a "crash test dummy"...so that gave me some additional confidence!

• Members

I just got an SKB case and I like it a lot. The two halves "fit" a lot better and the plastic is sturdier than the cheapo Musician's Gear ABS case. It's also two pounds lighter than the comparable Gator ABS case. www.fermatamusic.com carries them for a lot less than anywhere else, but I don't have personal experience with them. I submitted a pricematch with Musician's Friend and never heard back.

• Members

The best cases I own are made by Case Core. They are rectangular cases, but they are made like Coffin Cases. They are form fitted for Strats on the inside. Have nice aluminum valences all the way around, pretty heavy duty hardware, and are well padded.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen them anywhere since I bought my second one from Musician's Friend about 5 years ago.

• Members

Both of my Les Pauls are in SKB cases. They are excellent in protecting the guitar and worth the money. Its the only brand I use and trust. I'm getting one for my Flying V for Christmas. I'm going to try to find one that my Moderne will fit into as well.

+1 on SKB. Seriously great cases. The local shop has an Ovation SKB that survived a fire...top is all melted and bubbly. The guitar inside didn't even smell like smoke!

Archived